Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2012 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-11, 10:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gengar
Ah I see, so anyone who doesn't like turbos is ignorant? Give me a freaking break. It's funny how you accuse others of ignorance with such a close-minded perspective of your own.

The M156 is a brilliant engine; reviews have consistently praised the throttle response and torque curve, which are both especially impressive given it is such a large displacement engine. No doubt, the M156's characteristics are primarily due to it being AMG's first ever in-house development as opposed to merely a tune or FI of an existing MB-designed engine as they all have been in the past. (This is a particularly amazing feature given that even the legendary CLK GTR cannot claim its own powerplant.)

Bring in the M157, the new AMG engine. What is it? Just a bored and stroked version of the MB's base "550" model engine with slightly higher boost. Great. So we're actually moving backwards from AMG developing the engines that go into the cars with their label on them. And the verdict already seems to be in, what with multiple mags/sites all mentioning in reviews (of different models that the M157 is in, anyway) that the new twin-turbo is less responsive, and in the case of C+D, worst of all, it doesn't sound nearly as good. Engineers are on record as saying big reasons for the switch were for fuel economy and because the MB base vehicles are getting too heavy. Again, great.

It's obvious this engine replacement has been something pushed down on AMG by the corporate bigwigs at MB, whether for fuel economy, cost saving, spec figure chasing, other corporate mandates, or a combination of all of those. And that's something that no enthusiast should want in a car that is supposed to be special.

Just because an engine can produce bigger numbers on a piece of paper doesn't make it better, so, please, spare me the personal attacks.
Brilliant post. Exactly why all these new BMW M cars leave me cold, even as performance is outstanding. AMG/M etc should be SPECIAL. The 1M is simply a 135 with a chip and some M3 parts. The M5 will share the same engine with SUVs? What?

Wasn't really aware of the engine changes till you stated it so well. Might as well be "sport" packages. Do they even have the engines signed anymore? Whats the point, they are far less special.

I am also not a big Turbo/S/C is the answer to everything guy. They add weight and complexity. They have issues. While RATINGS show better EPA, real world shows the same or worse. I like turbos in some applications, not ALL. To me its no different than my GSh, answering the problem of MPG and power but hybrids gets dissed and turbos get fapped to. Makes no sense, it is the same solution but different execution.

Will values of older M/AMG cars hold and rise? Possibly. Surely purists are not happy. Don't get me wrong, these cars are still monsters, still phenomenal, still amazing but as they move closer to the mainstream it leaves me cold. Kind of like that hardcore rapper that starts dancing and getting jiggy to chase sales and "crossover"

Old 07-21-11, 11:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Will values of older M/AMG cars hold and rise? Possibly.
very unlikely imho