Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Dodge Viper lives on...........as the Alfa Romeo TZ3 Stradale.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-11, 03:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default The Dodge Viper lives on...........as the Alfa Romeo TZ3 Stradale.

Here's one of the most interesting results yet from the Fiat (Alfa's owner) takeover of Chrysler. The formerly-discontinued Viper's V10 chassis and drivetrain, with some minor modifications, remains basically unchanged, but it gets a beautiful Alfa-designed body and interior (yeah, I know the Alfa grilles can be awkward, but did the company ever actually make an ugly car?)

The good news is, that, yes, it is coming to America. The bad news is that only nine will be built, so don't look for one on every street corner in Camry/Accord numbers.

Pricing, not surprisingly, was not announced in the article....with only nine customers (the first one at Pebble Beach next month), you can rest-assured that it will not have a Hyundai or Kia price.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...o-tz3-stradale

(Click for article-photos)

There is yet another Alfa by Zagato, one officially sanctioned by the manufacturer and very different from any other. It doesn’t employ any Italian mechanicals; rather, it leverages the Fiat-Chrysler marriage to use the last Dodge Viper, specifically the ACR-X with an 8.4-liter V-10 pumping out 640 bhp and 585 lb.-ft. of torque. The front mid-engine/rear-drive layout and 98.9-in. wheelbase remain unchanged.

Certainly, a new exterior on the basis of an existing car represents a compromise, because many parameters and proportions are already predetermined. Still working within the 167.7-in. length, 78.0-in. width and 47.0-in. height, the TZ3 Stradale manages to convey that it is an Alfa Romeo through and through. The Stradale retains its Viper cues in the form of side exhaust tips, but the bodywork is unique including the rear Kammback shape, “double bubble” roof and round taillamps, all prominent Zagato styling cues.

Although not dainty in appearance, this 2-seater is just 3.3 in. shorter than the previous TZ3 Corsa that Zagato introduced at Villa d’Este last year, which was built on a tube-frame Gillet chassis and powered by a 420-bhp 4.2-liter Maserati V-8.

Zagato boasts that the TZ3 Stradale is “the first American Alfa in automotive history.” Insiders have long noted that there are parallels between Viper and Stradale. Both carry a snake on their badges and both have the distinctive double bubble roof. It may not be the last, as Fiat-Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne has said that future Alfas may be based on platforms from the company’s U.S. unit.

But how does the Stradale drive? Just like a Viper. Straightline acceleration is the domain of this quarter-mile hero, as it pushes you back in the seat when floored. The immense torque allows the car to take off even in 4th gear. While the steering could be more precise, additional directional input is available from the throttle. Still, the right pedal should be treated with caution—especially on wet roads: You wouldn’t want to crumple the precious Zagato body.

Hate it or love it, after a drive in this cannonball, we feel the fusion of unbridled American power and Italian grace has its own special appeal. The first of nine to be built will go to a collector during the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in August.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-14-11 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-14-11, 04:26 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Only nine?
Old 07-14-11, 04:32 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

that back end doesn't look right
Old 07-14-11, 05:52 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
but it gets a beautiful Alfa-designed body and interior
Come again?
Old 07-14-11, 06:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coconut
Come again?

OK.....styling is, of course, subjective, and I'll respect your opinion on this one. But I personally think it looks a lot better than the Viper, inside and out. The Viper had a nice set of round, easily-read gauges, but, other than that, I thought the interior s**ked.
Old 07-14-11, 07:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Only nine?
They wanted a lot of exclusivity, with hand-picked customers, to keep them out of the hands of speculators looking for quick re-sell/profits.

Here's a short interview with the car's designer, Andrea Zagato. It's from the same magazine-issue:

(He promised the first car, though, to a guy in NY state, not Pebble Beach, CA.....so I'm not sure which article is correct.)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-...-andrea-zagato

The grandson of Ugo Zagato, Andrea Zagato is the current CEO of the prestigious Italian design house his grandfather started in 1919. Based in Milan, Zagato recently applied its signature touches to not one, but two Alfa Romeos.

How did these two TZ3 models come about?

To mark the 100th anniversary of Alfa Romeo last year, we made the TZ3 Corsa—a birthday gift with historical references to its predeces-sors, the TZ and TZ2. At the same time, we wanted to respond to the announcement that the Fiat group united with Chrysler.

So the TZ3 Stradale is a hint of that future?

Exactly! Both TZ3 models are significant for two reasons: as a tribute to the motorsport history of Alfa Romeo and the street sports cars of the brand. Many American Alfisti have dreamed about the return of the make to the U.S. for many years and now Fiat and Chrysler have a means to do it with an established U.S. dealer network.

But two different cars—Corsa and Stradale—why?

The Corsa should not be a tuned road car but a thoroughbred racing machine and therefore have a proven carbon GT2 chassis. The Stradale is an entirely different concept; it’s roadworthy—even in the U.S., which was very important. However, both cars belong together—they are a project in two versions.

Who will buy the TZ3 Stradale?

Not speculators. Our customers are hand-picked collectors we know and trust. Ideally, there will be only one per country or region. With the Stradale, it is very unlikely that two cars will ever meet.
The first goes to Eric King, an Alfa fan in Saratoga Springs, New York, who owns a lot of Italian cars and a museum. I am confident that he will keep his Stradale.

Do both coupes vary in cost?

Yes and no. The Corsa is unique and therefore more expensive. With the Stradale, development costs are shared by nine specimens that we want to do. That is the magic number for us—and all will keep their value because they will be differently equipped collector’s items.
Old 07-15-11, 08:50 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ugliest Alfa Romeo?

Easy.

The Alfa Romeo Arna. The Alfa Romeo that wasn't an Alfa Romeo. A badge-engineered Nissan Cherry.
Old 07-15-11, 08:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DustinV
The ugliest Alfa Romeo?

Easy.

The Alfa Romeo Arna. The Alfa Romeo that wasn't an Alfa Romeo. A badge-engineered Nissan Cherry.
Yes, you have at least somewhat of a point, compared to in-house-Alfa-designed vehicles, but it still isn't what I would call particularly ugly....I've seen lots worse.
Old 07-15-11, 08:58 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, you have at least somewhat of a point, compared to in-house-Alfa-designed vehicles, but it still isn't what I would call particularly ugly....I've seen lots worse.
I'd say that the Nissan Cherry was a "typical generic 1980s Japanese design". Simple shapes and forms combine to produce a simple-looking car. It's by no means ugly, but it's nothing exciting on the other hand.

And in the case of Alfa Romeo, a brand known for emotional designs and interesting style, the Arna stands out like a sore thumb as a car that 'doesn't belong' there. Personally I don't consider the Arna to be a "real Alfa Romeo".
Old 07-15-11, 10:04 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

interesting, but the Viper was a far better looking vehicle
Old 07-15-11, 03:10 PM
Rykster
Pole Position

Nice looking car except for the rear end. It looks like the designers working on the back end ran out of time and just stopped.
Old 07-15-11, 04:33 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

The rear end looks pretty stupid. I like the front though. The Viper looked better.
Old 07-16-11, 02:07 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rykster
nice looking car except for the rear end. It looks like the designers working on the back end ran out of time and just stopped.
lol!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-19-11, 08:34 AM
feetsies
Rookie

It's too bad they're not going to be mass produced... I think it looks great. I could get used to the rear end.
Old 07-19-11, 09:18 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
interesting, but the Viper was a far better looking vehicle
waaaaay better

here's another ugly alfa romeo
*cough* rip off!!! *cough*

Quick Reply: The Dodge Viper lives on...........as the Alfa Romeo TZ3 Stradale.