Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Test Drive 2012 Genesis V-6

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-11, 05:16 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Test Drive 2012 Genesis V-6

It seems everyone is interested in the R Spec, but not much info about how the 2012 improvements to the V-6 really perform. I went down to the dealer and took an extended drive in one and the improvements work very well.

There are 3 flavors available for the V-6. The base car at about $35K, a premium at about $40K, and a loaded one with premium and Tech packages at about $44K. The base car is pretty well equipped, much like the base ES350. The premium adds NAV, a moonroof, and a few other nice to have things. The Tech package upgrades the leather, stereo, and NAV plus adds smart cruise. The one I drove had the Tech package.

First, this is not a sport sedan no matter what Hyundai ads say. Think instead a larger, faster, ES350 with no torque steer. The upgraded engine and 8 speed auto make it pretty fast for a big sedan with a V-6. My guess is that 0-60 is less than 6 seconds. Much faster than an ES350 or an E350. Hyundai has also improved the low speed ride so that the "jiggles" from the first models are gone. At 80 mph on the Interstate the ride is very smooth and quiet. No engine noise, very little wind or road noise even over rough pavement areas.

I did take it up on a twisting mountain road and it handled the tight turns OK but it wasn't any fun like it is in my G35. This is a freeway cruiser not a canyon carver.

Overall, a very nice entry level luxury car in the mode of the ES350. The interior is very nice with lots of room and the upgraded NAV is excellent. Is it worth $44K? I will certainly consider it carefully for my next car. The next ES350 will have to be a big improvement to beat this car at near the same price.

Steve
Old 07-14-11, 05:28 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah it is pretty nice. I live 5 minutes away from a Hyundai dealer, I want to go test drive the 5oh.
Old 07-14-11, 09:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
It seems everyone is interested in the R Spec, but not much info about how the 2012 improvements to the V-6 really perform. I went down to the dealer and took an extended drive in one and the improvements work very well.

There are 3 flavors available for the V-6. The base car at about $35K, a premium at about $40K, and a loaded one with premium and Tech packages at about $44K. The base car is pretty well equipped, much like the base ES350. The premium adds NAV, a moonroof, and a few other nice to have things. The Tech package upgrades the leather, stereo, and NAV plus adds smart cruise. The one I drove had the Tech package.

First, this is not a sport sedan no matter what Hyundai ads say. Think instead a larger, faster, ES350 with no torque steer. The upgraded engine and 8 speed auto make it pretty fast for a big sedan with a V-6. My guess is that 0-60 is less than 6 seconds. Much faster than an ES350 or an E350. Hyundai has also improved the low speed ride so that the "jiggles" from the first models are gone. At 80 mph on the Interstate the ride is very smooth and quiet. No engine noise, very little wind or road noise even over rough pavement areas.

I did take it up on a twisting mountain road and it handled the tight turns OK but it wasn't any fun like it is in my G35. This is a freeway cruiser not a canyon carver.

Overall, a very nice entry level luxury car in the mode of the ES350. The interior is very nice with lots of room and the upgraded NAV is excellent. Is it worth $44K? I will certainly consider it carefully for my next car. The next ES350 will have to be a big improvement to beat this car at near the same price.

Steve
Nice review. With the upgraded V6 in the MBZ, I don't think the 0-60 gap is all that big. Heck the ES will do it in 6.7 (of course being the lightest of the 3 helps). Out of all the cars in this field, I feel that on paper the closest competitor to the Genesis sedan is the Infiniti M37/56. Both V6's churn out around 330hp and the V8's 420hp. Close in weight, RWD, premium image. Still waiting on a comparo of these two
Old 07-14-11, 09:36 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Genesis should really be compared to the GS even though it's priced like the ES. It's larger than the GS in every dimension too. Great value for sure.

Last edited by ydooby; 07-14-11 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-14-11, 10:37 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

The Genesis isn't an ES350 competitor. I agree with Hoovey the Genesis's biggest competitor is the Infiniti M37/56. The next gen Azera would fit more in line with the next ES since they are going after the Buick Lacrosse.
Old 07-14-11, 11:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think most buyers will compare cars in their price range. So since the ES is in the same range I would assume that some ES shoppers will entertain the idea of the Hyundai Genesis and see the clear value
Old 07-15-11, 11:06 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

While the Genesis and M37 look a lot alike on paper, the character of the cars is totally different. The M37 even without any of the sport options is much sportier than the Genesis. The ride is much stiffer and you can always hear the engine in the M. Rear seat and trunk space in the Infiniti are also a bit smaller. Straight line performance is pretty close but the Infiniti is much more fun to drive on winding roads. It is also less comfortable for long trips on the interstate where the Genesis shines. Same size, same formula, but much different results. The M37 with comparable equipment is also $10K more. In a compairison test, the car guys all seem to value handling and fun to drive above all else so the M should win easily.

I did not think anyone interested in the GS would likely be very interested in the Genesis because it is not very sporty. When I bought my ES350, I drove a GS350 and did not like it because it was too small inside and had a small trunk. The ES also had a much smoother ride than the GS. The fact that I could get an ES350 UL for $8k less than the GS was just gravy, since I liked the ES better.

The Genesis, at least in V-6 form, is more like the ES than the GS even though it is rear wheel drive. It is roomy with a big trunk. It has a smooth, soft, quiet ride, and OK but not sporty handling.

Hyundai has not done the dealers any favors in their marketing of the Genesis. It is really a nice car and a pretty good value but the right audience is not hearing about it.

Steve
Old 07-15-11, 12:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think most buyers will compare cars in their price range. So since the ES is in the same range I would assume that some ES shoppers will entertain the idea of the Hyundai Genesis and see the clear value
yep........
Old 07-15-11, 12:17 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will have to go test drive one myself now
Old 07-17-11, 03:04 PM
directmk
Driver School Candidate

Default Dont kid yourself

I have personally owned a Hyundai for 5 years, they are nice the first 6 months after that they start to rattle and make all kinds of noise both inside and out, check engine lights, and the list goes on.

Not to mention the amount of time the stupid thing spent in the shop…and if you are used to the kind of treatment you got at any Lexus service center, well…let me tell you, you are in for a BIG change (and not for the better). - Picture taking your car to pepboys for service.
Old 07-17-11, 04:39 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

^ what year, make and model Hyundai did you own?
Old 07-17-11, 08:28 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ydooby
The Genesis should really be compared to the GS even though it's priced like the ES. It's larger than the GS in every dimension too. Great value for sure.
The Genesis is more of an ES competitor than a GS competitor. This will become painfully clear once the next-gen ES and GS debut.
Old 07-18-11, 04:48 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMut
^ what year, make and model Hyundai did you own?
Exactly!
I don't believe the newer Hyundai vehicles would have the problems he said he had.
Old 07-18-11, 06:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Exactly!
I don't believe the newer Hyundai vehicles would have the problems he said he had.
well, i wont be surprised, i think Hyundai is making same mistakes as Toyota did in early 2000's... i checked Sonata Hybrid forums and car has been recalled 2x in one month of sales, plus its headliner has tendency to fall off... thats just after one month of sales and after they delayed it for 6 months. I dont think it is wonder Hyundai ended up under average on recent JD Power survey.

At the same time, I think Azera will be big competitor to many mid sized luxury cars in 30k range, as it looks like CLS copy.

Old 07-18-11, 09:32 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf

Holy ****.

Sexy Korean vehicle!!!!!!! Me likey

Quick Reply: Test Drive 2012 Genesis V-6