Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My short casual review: Lexus IS300 MMC Facelift (Philippine-spec)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-11, 12:21 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My short casual review: Lexus IS300 MMC Facelift (Philippine-spec)

My short and extremely casual review: Lexus IS 300 (2IS + MMC facelift) Philippine-spec model.

By John Wesley Lotho Chiok

It's been two years since Lexus officially opened its doors in the country. Indeed, Lexus Manila was the result of the long-standing partnership between Toyota Japan, Toyota Motor Philippines Inc., Sumitomo group of Japan and local business tycoon Alfred Ty.

So what is Lexus?
Perhaps in a nutshell, Lexus has first launched in the USA and Canada in the 80s and has expanded ever since to places such as Europe, Asia Pacific, Africa, Middle East and elsewhere. In addition, the brand has launched itself in Japan back in 2006. Indeed, Lexus Japan wanted to make a statement that Japanese automakers can make premium vehicles that can appeal to anyone on home soil. To date, thousands of Lexus vehicles have been sold in just five years. With that, TMP felt that with an improving Philippine economy and increasing wealth of people (especially middle and upper income brackets), it was time to launch Lexus Manila.

So what is the car
I decided that for my very first (full) test drive car, I decided that I wanted to give Lexus a shot and since it was a Lexus, the first car that came into my mind was the 2nd generation Lexus IS. With such excitement, I rushed to contact the dealership and confirm my decision to test drive the new Lexus IS 300.

Lexus IS 300 (codename: GSE22)

In the flesh, I felt that the IS300 was unique and a sight to behold. You see, unlike the common premium cars such as those offered by the like of MB and BMW and Audi, Lexus is a newcomer in the official premium car market in this country........and yet it seems like it has prepared itself to show that even as the new kid on the block, the brand can at least stand and be competitive with its peers. In short, Lexus Manila has done their homework.

The moment you stare at the IS300, you feel a sense of sportiness and agility mixed into a premium vehicle. It exhibits the more sport and dynamic side of the Lexus L-finesse design theme and language. The IS300 I saw in the dealership benefits from the first MMC facelift that Lexus introduced which include the addition of stuff such as turn signal mirrors as well as a revised tail lamp design. What looks good on the outside is thankfully carried on the inside too with sporty design features that are geared primarily towards rich young dudes (and even girls) who want something on the high-side yet features something dynamic to fit their personality and lifestyle. These features include a three spoke steering wheel with paddle shifters along with audio controls and cruise control, sporty leather seats as standard and an interior that is surrounded by only these colors: black, silver and grey. Sure colors like beige and brown are geared towards pure luxury......BUT black silver and grey denote sporty character.

Anyways, enough talk about that for now cause it's time to drive this thing.

With this being my first full-fledged test drive, I couldn't control my excitement. Yet at the same time, I also had to show some restraint and caution as the test drive unit belongs to the general branch manager of Lexus Manila so I can't make any mistakes or hit something. Either way, this car is way way out our family's budget and income........so to test drive something like this is an absolute privilege but also a huge responsibility as well. Regardless, I wanted to make the most of it.

It all begins with starting the vehicle. As the norm with Lexus and higher end Toyotas, all you need to start the car is to press a button near the steering wheel which brings the car to life. The system involved simply detects the presence of the vehicle key inside the cabin so as long as they key is within range, you can start the vehicle. Btw, the interior feels great. The airconditioning is strong and is expected (which is a result of years of Denso perfecting their A/C units for many decades). It's also dual zone so driver can choose their own temperature while the passenger can have something different as well. Btw, the best comfort feature I've seen so far is the temperature seats. In fact, you can allow something like cold air to be released from the seats like it has some kind of blower of something. I think that feature is great for scorching Philippine weather. Anyways more on the drive.......

After start-up, you can hear that everything is relatively quiet. I can't tell if it's due to the engine or the NVH stuff of the vehicle itself.......or maybe both. Either way, whatever it is that reduces the noise of the car is definitely doing a superb job of doing it. So with the car started, I sent the gear shifter from P (park) straight to the -/+ area which activates manual mode and what it does is that it allows for manual gear manipulation either via the -/+ gate or via paddle shifters. So there, I got it to the drive. The test drive area was basically around a private access roadway beside the dealership front (that is also owned by Lexus Manila). It had quite a long straight with an uphill and downhill gradient. A neat way to test the power and capabilities of the car.

There is a reason why this car is called the IS300 and the reason lies in this:

What you see above here is the 3GR-FE engine. It has Dual VVTi and has a compression ratio of 10.5:1. Power output is 228 horsepower @ 6400 rpm and a whopping 300 Newton Meters of torque @ 4800 rpm. Wow, now that I mention it, it looks like it has a very smooth torque curve and its best appreciated at mid-range of the powerband. Either way though, it may take an short while but once you reach 2000 rpm, then that's when the engine starts to sing

During the entire test drive, I've used the paddle shifters all the time and it felt neat. Granted, like most of these manual mode feature gearboxes is that you cannot do something illogical like 1st gear at 120 km/h or 6th gear at 20 km/h. The current gear the car is in must be reasonable within speed and vehicle operating parameters at a given time. I guess it's a way to make sure that the gearbox is protected against unnecessary wear and tear.

Btw, for those who don't know, the gear display shown in the car is just a recommendation of the optimal gear that the car should be in. If you do want to see what current gear you are in, you go to the display and scroll the menu until you see "GEAR SELECTION"

We've also fiddled a bit with a few buttons. One of the buttons was ECO. We tried driving slowly while the feature was on so yeah, I guess it displays an ECO indicator to show that the car is currently being drive in the most fuel efficient and most environmentally-friendly way currently possible.

Another button was the PWR button. With this mode on, I tried to push the car as fast as I can and tried to get the car into top gear (6th gear in this case) as fast as possible. In the end, we reached as fast as 120 km/h in a blink of an eye. My god, the thrill was amazing. I guess this is what you get when your car has more than 200 horsepower. I loved that sensation........until I remember that the speed limit of Fort Bonifacio was 60 km/h, that I was speeding along a downhill incline as well that this car belonged to the branch manager. Whoops, time to slow down

Lastly, there is SNOW. At first, I asked the sales guy if this setting is for wet and slippery conditions. He said that it applies if the car is stuck is snow and needs extra power when it gets stuck in a pile of snow. I guess this feature is useless in tropical environments like the Philippines where it is mostly hot and humid and a few times raining.

In relation with other aspects of the test drive, I wanna go back to the seats. As a premium manufacturer, leather seats are standard equipment. Some countries like Japan (offer cloth seat options) but personally, given the premium category of these types of vehicles, I'd wanna see black leather seats. Then there is the comfort aspect. I found the ergonomics were neat. Creature comforts are there no doubt.

Now, as for rear legroom, it seemed quite okay. Granted, as an RWD vehicle, you could really feel that even if it is sufficient, it feel only exact. No less but no more. I can imagine that there isn't a lot more to move about in the back seat if you are 6 feet or taller. But hey, as long as it's not as bad and unbearable like the old BMW 1 series (with rear legroom that feels like hell), then I guess it's somehow still okay. Granted, I have to look at some exact measurement figures of the rear legspace as well as comparisons with other similar automobiles.

What else

Oh yeah, the sound system. Basically, I only have ONE RULE when it comes to in-car sound systems: SIX SPEAKERS minimum or GTFO! Thankfully, in the case of Lexus, this is obviously not a problem. All Lexus vehicles (or at least the ones sold by Lexus Manila) have minimum of 10 speakers. No less than that even for the most basic sound system available . On the IS 300, it simply goes beyond the usual speakers at the side doors then two at the back. If you've seen the speaker location diagrams of the Lexus IS, then it says everything that needs to be said.

With that said, the IS 300 sold by Lexus Manila comes with 13 speakers under what is called as "Lexus Premium Sound". I tell you it is quite something. Trance music tunes (such as Above and Beyond and Paul Van Dyk feel really alive and sound more inspiring compared to a bare minimum six-speaker audio system). It is indeed something.

STILL, I do wish that our local models would have the Mark Levinson sound system package though (which for the Lexus IS has 14 speakers........and I think includes DSP and other surround options). So while the Lexus Premium Sound System is neat, I think the Mark Levinson system for the IS300 would take the sound experience to a higher level.

I can't comment on the boot or the trunk. I didn't see it or measured it so I can't say anything. Still, if you're coming from something like a Civic or a Corolla or similar-sized compact, then you won't be disappointed with the IS300 and may even get a bit more.

Of course, you have the wheels. The ones that Lexus Manila have are those 17 inch wheels of a ten-spoke design. They look good..........but not better. For a Lexus IS, I'd rather get something like this (like the 18 inchers featured here)

Now the safety features well........there is no need for introductions. The car is full of the necessities. Seatbelts, airbags all over (including knee airbags) as well as an alphabet soup of safety features like ABS, TRC, VSC, ETC.......

And I'd like to end this one with the ride handling. It felt neat and solid. Turning radius was more than you ever need and the faster you go, the more that the steering wheel stiffens up as a reflection of the road conditions and operating speed. It is an opposite to the uber-soft steering of the C180 CGI I drove a week prior to this test drive. Hey I have no preference for either, I'm just stating what's this and that. They're just two different approaches that's all.

So there, if you're budget is 3,000,000 pesos and are looking for a vehicle, that amount of money could get you a Toyota Alphard V6 (van), an MB C180 CGI Avantgarde or a BMW 320d or an Audi A4 1.8 TFSI among other things.

Now, there is another alternative that is worthy and is competitive with the above vehicles I mentioned. That alternative is simply called: The Lexus IS300

Pros:
-Lexus reliability
-opportunity to avail of premium vehicles and its goodies at relatively lower prices (compared to the competition at least)
-the car is designed great
-interior of black silver and grey is awesome
-paddle shifts are neat
-dual zone a/c
-well-rounded vehicle
-3GR FE engine is FANTASTIC!!!!
-vehicle is stable even past 120 km/h
-noise and vibration are kept to a minimum and body roll is not that noticeable
-6-speed super ECT gearbox was great (and we don't get that unreliable stick shift crap that European IS diesel models get. Thank god )

Cons:
-No Mark levinson audio system for Philippine-spec models sold at dealer
-17 inch wheels only for our local models (needs 18 inchers as mentioned in my review)
-rear space is only exactly sufficient....and may be uncomfortable to those who are taller than 6 feet
-Cruise control takes time to get used to (gotta read that manual first before attempting to use it)
-heh I wish it had a 4WD/AWD option
-needs more options and accessories (like an F-sport version )

Verdict: This new kid on the block delivers and people are taking note of it. Sure, it may not be perfect (lots of features were omitted by Lexus Manila) but more or less, it delivers. Indeed, even if it's a newcomer in the local premium vehicle market, it shows that the IS300 has what it takes to be heard to make itself relevant in this vehicle segment. Indeed, an underdog that is NOT TO BE UNDERESTIMATED

Personal score: 8/10

Note: Could've been higher like 8.5/10 if not for the missing or deleted features made by Lexus Manila

That is all

Last edited by Blackraven; 07-23-11 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-23-11, 12:22 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Photos

The showroom display unit (from last year):

Old 07-23-11, 12:25 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

The test drive unit (which belongs to the general branch manager of Lexus Manila):

Old 07-23-11, 12:59 PM
omgitsjoe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow ........ did you say 3,000,000 pesos !!!????
Old 07-23-11, 01:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks for posting the review.

So, apparantly they don't sell the IS350 in the Phillipines. With the climate, probably not the AWD models either.

Another button was the PWR button. With this mode on, I tried to push the car as fast as I can and tried to get the car into top gear (6th gear in this case) as fast as possible. In the end, we reached as fast as 120 km/h in a blink of an eye. My god, the thrill was amazing. I guess this is what you get when your car has more than 200 horsepower.
Torque is what provides acceleration, not horsepower.

Cons:

-17 inch wheels only for our local models (needs 18 inchers as mentioned in my review)
I may have to disagree with him on this. American-spec models, at least, ride stiff enough as it is on the 17s. Putting on 18's, with even lower, stiffer-riding-profiles, would probably be too much.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-23-11 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-23-11, 01:56 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

MMarshall, given the traffic conditions of Metro Manila (NCR) Lexus PH decided that it was impractical to sell the IS350 in the local market and like what Blackraven said poor fuel quality that might affect the DI engine unless of course someone is brave enough to import one through the grey market. Though I wish Lexus would offer the 3GRE engine instead of the 2.5 L here in the US to at least compete with the C300 and 328i.

Omgitsjoe: Yes, it's that expensive cars in the Philippines are considered as status symbol rather than a necessity. The only folks buying that cars are upper class folks with business/political connections, not for ordinary common folks.

Blackraven: I remember actually seeing an IS350 there though it had a blue plates, I figure it must be someone working for ADB or for US Embassy for that matter to get the import exemption.
Old 07-23-11, 08:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
This is true, but horsepower does equal more acceleration. For example, a diesel 3 series has 265hp but 425 torque. a 335i has 300hp/300 torque. And the 335i is faster. This is due to the higher horsepower. There's only so much all that torque can do, when the horsepower isn't that high. However, comparing torque curves and such, I prefer the characteristics of the diesel.
well reason 335i is because it has wide spread torque, vs diesel's relatively narrow powerband... best diesels have 3000rpm spread... Good V6's easily have 5000rpm spread.
Old 07-24-11, 01:05 AM
crazybuggy
Racer

This is friiggggen sweeet!!!!! I gta tell my dad to get this car loool
Old 07-24-11, 02:21 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

3kk pesos? damn, that's alot of money
Old 07-24-11, 08:52 AM
DFGeneer
Rookie

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
This is true, but horsepower does equal more acceleration. For example, a diesel 3 series has 265hp but 425 torque. a 335i has 300hp/300 torque. And the 335i is faster. This is due to the higher horsepower. There's only so much all that torque can do, when the horsepower isn't that high. However, comparing torque curves and such, I prefer the characteristics of the diesel.
To be precise, acceleration is provided by the torque at the wheels. And the torque at the wheels is a product of the torque of the engine times the transmission gear (times axle) ratio.

The diesel engines may have have greater torques, but their transmission ratios are lower to compenste for the restricted usable rpm range. Hense the lower overall torque at the wheels in the case of 335i vs 335d.

In reality, high power means than one can have greater transmission ratios thus efficiently multiplying the torque of the engine by higher number before it is delivered to the wheels.
Old 07-24-11, 09:53 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for posting the review.
Sure, it's indeed my pleasure. However, I do need to learn more from more experienced automobile reviewers (such as your mmarshall ). Right now, it's my very first review.......so I still have a lot to learn in writing and making test drive reviews.

So, apparantly they don't sell the IS350 in the Phillipines. With the climate, probably not the AWD models either.
Yeah, we also don't get the IS250 either. It could probably be the climate but I think a primary reason (as mentioned by rsantiago) lies in the requirement for the engine. The engines of the IS250 and IS 350 (2GR-FSE and 4GR-FSE) are direct injection units. They obviously provide more power and torque over non-DI versions of the same engine. HOWEVER, I think the trade-off is that if the fuel quality available is so crappy, then it could really hamper the well-being of a direct injection engine and worse, it could DAMAGE the engine itself.

I believe Lexus knew about this and so they devised a solution which is known as: the IS300 (codename: GSE22)

The 3GR-FE engine used in this/that vehicle does not have direct injection so as a result, it can be sold even in places where your fuel quality is filthy and grotesque as a pig sty and the car would still run.

In terms of power output and performance numbers, it really appears that it is the 'middleman' between the IS250 and the IS350 and it looks like it indeed is.

I may have to disagree with him on this. American-spec models, at least, ride stiff enough as it is on the 17s. Putting on 18's, with even lower, stiffer-riding-profiles, would probably be too much.
Hmm......

Maybe it might not just be about functional characteristics or the attributes of an increased wheel size BUT.......what I meant was more on the design or form aspect.

With a sporty car, you'd generally want sporty wheels to boot. While the 17 inch wheels are good enough, the option is available to make it more agile and sporty and even more dynamic. So, an example would be something like:

"Those things looks quite nice ."

versus

"HOLY *****!!! I can't believe how bloody sleek and sexy this beast is. I feel that my life is now made so much more inspiring and perfect."

Btw
"With those sleek and sporty wheels on my ride, all of the chicks will come to me"

Something like that.

-----------------------

P.S.
Yeah, cars in the Philippines are expensive (compared to USA and whatnot). You can blame higher taxes, import duties, customs fees as well as corruption and what not. In fact, most locals often have a simple formula to describe car prices in this country:
Philippine car price = Price of car in America X 2

That's the general case hehe.

Still yeah, it's sad but true. We just have to deal with it either way
Old 07-24-11, 10:47 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing this!
Old 07-24-11, 12:20 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Sure no problem

Oh and yeah, since this is my very first review, comments and suggestions are appreciated and would be a help to improve the quality of my future reviews.

P.S.
If I pass all my subjects this term (without failures), then I'd be happy to test drive the Lexus CT200h F-sport (which is currently only available in Asia-Pacific markets).

Plus, I'd be able to post my short test drives from the 2011 Manila Motor Show.

Stay tuned
Old 07-24-11, 06:51 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Wow!!! That's your "casual" write up? I can't wait to see how long your "formal" on will be!

Having lived in the Philippines before, I think it was a good decision with Lexus Manila to go with the 17 inch wheels on the car, especially with the condition of the roads there. The have quite a good aftermarket there, so if someone wanted bigger wheels, they're easily upgradeable.

As far as engines go, I don't know what traffic conditions are like there nowadays, but even the 250 would be overkill 80% of the time, so I think the 300 is more than adequate for daily Manila driving.
Old 07-24-11, 07:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

you guys need F-Sport version :-)

Quick Reply: My short casual review: Lexus IS300 MMC Facelift (Philippine-spec)