Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

McLaren tweaks the MP4-12C supercar

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-11, 02:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default McLaren tweaks the MP4-12C supercar

The boys in woking are after the 458. I am pretty sure they have reached their target but I love the dedication and attention to detail. They have to be passionate to put out products like they do

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/27..._supercar.html

McLaren has responded to criticism of the newly launched MP4-12C by rushing through a package of revisions for the newly-launched supercar.

What’s even more impressive is that it took the company just eight days to create the modified version of the car – which evo’s Harry Metcalfe was first to drive.

When the MP4-12C lost out to the Ferrari 458 in our grouptest (evo issue 159) Harry sent a personal message to Anthony Sheriff, McLaren’s MD, outlining some of improvements he thought could be made to the car. These included changing the weighting of the gearchange rocker mechanism, tweaking the steering and improving the sound of the car.

Much to Harry’s surprise, just eight days after sending the email he was invited to McLaren HQ in Woking to sample a revised version of the car incorporating the changes that he had suggested – which McLaren is planning to incorporate into future production versions. Harry’s verdict: ‘it’s vastly better.’

‘In F1 there’s no time to mull things over,’ said Anthony Sheriff, ‘you look at a situation, you make a decision and you get the solution on the car for the next race. In the car division we reflected on the comments made, looked at alternative solutions and had them on cars within a day or two and now they’ll be going into production. At McLaren we have the mentality to react to things very quickly.’
Old 07-31-11, 08:41 AM
LexusISme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is one of my fav new super car coming out, although the styling is more on the conservative end. the performance of it sure wont be.. and those doors.. yummm
Old 07-31-11, 06:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I just got done reading three magazine articles comparing the 458 to the McLaren (check out the massive review in EVO magazine this month. I think its 25 pages long ) and they all think the McLaren is a bit faster and has a better ride but they would all go with the 458. I have to agree. I still love the McLaren for all of its amazing engineering and speed but a Ferrari is always going to be the best. Ferraris are made not only to be fast , but to inspire passion and stir all of out senses. wether it be with the exhaust note , insanely direct steering, or even the slightly bumpier ride its all to add more connection and communication between the drive and the car. I think most McLaren buyers will be people who already have had Ferraris and Lambos and wants something a bit fresh. All in all its been a good couple of years for auto enthusiasts in this arena of the market. Between the Aventador, 458, MP4-12C, Bugatti super sport, and even the GT3RS 4.0 we will all have plenty to drool over.
Old 07-31-11, 06:55 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I just got done reading three magazine articles comparing the 458 to the McLaren (check out the massive review in EVO magazine this month. I think its 25 pages long ) and they all think the McLaren is a bit faster and has a better ride but they would all go with the 458. I have to agree. I still love the McLaren for all of its amazing engineering and speed but a Ferrari is always going to be the best. Ferraris are made not only to be fast , but to inspire passion and stir all of out senses. wether it be with the exhaust note , insanely direct steering, or even the slightly bumpier ride its all to add more connection and communication between the drive and the car. I think most McLaren buyers will be people who already have had Ferraris and Lambos and wants something a bit fresh. All in all its been a good couple of years for auto enthusiasts in this arena of the market. Between the Aventador, 458, MP4-12C, Bugatti super sport, and even the GT3RS 4.0 we will all have plenty to drool over.
Yup...SPOILER ALERT BELOW

Top Gear, EVO and CAR all picked the 458 over the new McLaren in head to head reviews. Go to your bookstore.
Old 08-05-11, 10:00 PM
LexusISme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is remarkable of what McLaren did.. but Ferrari is still a Ferrari