Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus sedans will be redone by spring 2013

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-11, 04:01 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Lexus sedans will be redone by spring 2013

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...308019981/1292

Lexus sales have slipped behind BMW and Mercedes this year, but the next few years will show what kind of counterpunch Toyota's luxury brand can deliver.

The passenger-car lineup will be made over by the spring of 2013, as the GS, ES, IS and LS sedans will all be either redesigned or re-engineered.

But there are challenges. Executives and engineers say they need to remove some of the numbness from Lexus sedan handling without losing the floaty freeway ride that buyers expect.

Lexus also is unveiling a more aggressive design language that was teased at the New York auto show in April.

As far as cycle changes go, expect Lexus to follow BMW's example with a major change every three years, alternating between sheet metal and powertrain. That way there is always something new to brag about.

The CT 200h debuted this summer.

IS: The small sedan line will be re-engineered in late 2012, based on a shrunken version of the GS platform. Expect handling refinements, but not much change in the powertrain setup. Styling will be more youthful and expressive.

The next generation is expected to get a soft-top convertible to avoid the cost and weight of the hardtop.

HS 250h: Although the plug-in Prius is moving to lithium ion batteries, the HS will stick with a nickel-metal hydride for its midcycle change in 2012. Lithium may arrive with the 2015 redesign.

ES: The midrange sedan will be redesigned in the summer of 2012. Engineers have worked on tightening the ES' handling so that it doesn't wallow so much when pushed. A hybrid option will be offered, and there's talk of a 40-mpg combined mileage. In terms of styling, the ES will get the big grille of the GS, and much more visual differentiation from the Camry platform it shares.

A re-engineered GS comes in 2012.
GS: A re-engineered version arrives in early 2012 on an updated platform shared with the IS. But it will retain the same wheelbase and width and will be barely longer overall. The suspension has been modified for a sportier ride.

Engine offerings still will include a 3.5-liter V-6, with a six-speed transmission, and the 4.6-liter V-8, but with faster acceleration and better fuel economy. A four-wheel steering system will be optional. Lexus is considering a GS-F performance edition but using hybrid power instead of a hulking V-8 to make it happen.

LS: A redesign is due in the spring of 2013 for the big flagship sedan. Weight-saving technology using premium materials is high on the priority list. As for the range-topping LS 600h, Lexus will place more emphasis on fuel economy than performance, but it will stick with a V-8 hybrid, not drop down to a V-6.

LFA: After the current batch of 500 is built, there likely will be a one-year hiatus before a roadster version is offered, probably in mid-2014.

RX: A redesign is planned for early 2014. The crossover currently rides on an ancient platform that will be updated with the new Toyota Camry/Avalon underpinnings. The hybrid battery may stay nickel-based, rather than use lithium ion, since Toyota has found packaging gains but only marginal fuel efficiency improvement from lithium.

GX: It was redesigned in the spring of 2010, so no major changes are expected.

LX: Since the incremental volume of the top-line SUV helps justify Toyota's investment in the Land Cruiser, the LX won't go away. But expect the current version to stick around longer than planned, perhaps beyond 2015.

VX: After years of study and several concept models, Lexus has delayed the idea of a seven-seat car-based crossover.

Last edited by SNiiP3R; 08-01-11 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-01-11, 04:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

gs with v8? somehow i am not very hopeful on that. but we will see

another report of lfa roadster huh. if that really happens i wonder what the current owners who inquired about roadster (and was given the no) think

rx redesign in 2014? only 4 yrs run in the current gen? that's fast
Old 08-01-11, 04:50 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Year, I was just wondering about the RX ? Perhaps it's just a facelift of some sort?
Old 08-01-11, 04:57 PM
lostnspace
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The article said Lexus was looking to have 3 year cycles so they can "stay fresh". I guess they are going the same route of BMW and Audi where the vehicles all have the same face and are just different trim levels and sizes every where else. IDK **kanyeshrug**

Wasn't the IS line already due for a redesign in 2012-13 anyway? It'll be interesting to see an IS built on the new GS platform.
Old 08-01-11, 05:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Year, I was just wondering about the RX ? Perhaps it's just a facelift of some sort?
but it's hard to imagine a platform change for a facelift
Old 08-01-11, 05:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by lostnspace
The article said Lexus was looking to have 3 year cycles so they can "stay fresh". I guess they are going the same route of BMW and Audi where the vehicles all have the same face and are just different trim levels and sizes every where else. IDK **kanyeshrug**

Wasn't the IS line already due for a redesign in 2012-13 anyway? It'll be interesting to see an IS built on the new GS platform.
i forgot about the 2is already, but is300 was based on shortened gs platform. i think it kind of make sense to have the 3is based on the 4gs platform. is250/350 also came out a few months after gs300/430 back in 2005, so this time it's just about the same

but they say 3is to get soft top to save weight. my goodness, are they being serious. soft top on a lexus? how are they going to control the noise level. and soft top?!
Old 08-01-11, 05:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

i think rx was intro'd in '09 as '10 right? and a new intro in early '14 may well be spec'ed as '15 so it might be a 5 year changeover, which isn't exactly fast.

also, article says v8 gs but that's the first we've heard... wouldn't be surprised if that's wrong info since they didn't even mention the hybrid.
Old 08-01-11, 05:25 PM
lostnspace
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
i forgot about the 2is already, but is300 was based on shortened gs platform. i think it kind of make sense to have the 3is based on the 4gs platform. is250/350 also came out a few months after gs300/430 back in 2005, so this time it's just about the same

but they say 3is to get soft top to save weight. my goodness, are they being serious. soft top on a lexus? how are they going to control the noise level. and soft top?!
Yea that's combination doomed for complaints. The main reason I moved on from my 08 IS 250 was road noise. I can't imaging dealing with road noise from the tires and wind noise from a soft top...
Old 08-01-11, 06:44 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

What is with everybody and this need to have v8 engines? It isn't a huge deal anymore especially now that people are more conscious about gas economy and environmental responsibility. It's time to look forward instead of staying complacent.
Old 08-01-11, 06:55 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This information is incorrect on several accounts.
Old 08-01-11, 07:04 PM
LexFather

FYI the first gen IS 200/300 had its own platform, it wasn't based off the GS. That happened with the 2nd gen as we know.

Old 08-01-11, 07:51 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
This information is incorrect on several accounts.
Namely the GS460 returning?
Old 08-01-11, 08:30 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I wouldnt take too much of this as fact.

Nevertheless, if there were to be a CT and an ES hybrid what is the point of the HS? Put a decent powertrain in that vehicle already and make it worthwhile.
Old 08-01-11, 09:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
gs with v8? somehow i am not very hopeful on that. but we will see

another report of lfa roadster huh. if that really happens i wonder what the current owners who inquired about roadster (and was given the no) think

rx redesign in 2014? only 4 yrs run in the current gen? that's fast
Originally Posted by lostnspace

Hopefully they stick to this plan. Most automakers are switching to shorter year cycles including Ford which mentioned a 3 year cycle. Its very important to keep things fresh less they become dull and obsolete. The thing with Toyota/Lexus vehicles however is no matter how dull or dated they become, they are still very competent which is a good thing. There's no doubt that when they take 6 years to compete a new generation of vehicle, it becomes a standout. Now if they can shorten the years it takes to develop and engineer a vehicle while still retaining quality and innovation they will definitely regain and surpass market share.

I have no doubt that the four main sedans (IS, ES, GS, and LS) will come out in full force come 2012-2013 much like they did in 2006-2007. Lexus puts a lot of work into these vehicles as is evident from their initial success that overtime due to time/competitors reinventing themselves they became dull yet still competent and solid bets. Here's some thoughts;

IS: The new IS will be even more competitive with the 3 series and A4 this time around. Seems the newish MBZ C-Class just got to where the current IS is so no worries there. The 3 is getting bigger and heavier surely much like its 5 series brother so I imagine finesse won't be as athletic as the model it replaces. Let's not forget the Infiniti G which was redesigned in 2007 (sedan) will also have something new in the pipeline around the time the new IS arrives.

ES: This is more wishful thinking, but I would love to see AWD added as an option. Also a Sport/Comfort suspension like in the generation before the current one. One things for sure, if the GS is signs of things to come, the ES is about to break the mold if its built in its shadow. I recall a C&D or Motortrend that compared a current ES to the new Buick Lacrosse, caption read "Buick builds a better Lexus"... well all I can say to that is "Hey Buick, watch Lexus build a better Lexus " hah

GS: Soon to be revealed, there are tons of tech innovation, Luxury, and sport to be had from this reboot. Although the current V6 mill is still retained, more ponies are found putting it in the 310-316hp IMO (up from 303 in the current GS). This base engine still puts it in line with the 5 series, A6, and E-Class. (I still have a theory that once that baby 3 series fighting Jag comes out with a (rumored 3.8 liters) that V6 mill will find its way into the XF making it more competitive with the aforementioned midsized lux/sport sedans)

LS: BMW, Audi and Jag have all played their cards. When the LS lands (MBZ S-Class also a 2007), I expect it to follow the GS's suit and up the ante with more luxury than before and extra sport to boot. Lexus, like Buick and Cadillac are trying to shed that old persons car persona. Personally I think the new LS will be a knock out

***Another wishful thinking is more special editions please!!! Pebble Beach, Sport Design, Black Diamond, Thundercloud (RX) to name a few. Wish they'd at least think about it (tho F-Sport may be the "new" Sport Design)
Old 08-01-11, 09:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
FYI the first gen IS 200/300 had its own platform, it wasn't based off the GS. That happened with the 2nd gen as we know.
damn so i got it the other way @_@

Quick Reply: Lexus sedans will be redone by spring 2013