Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

civic off of the recommended list

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-11 | 08:27 AM
xioix
Racer
CL Folding 200000

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In the latest New-Car Buying-Guide, CR still recommends the Civic Hybrid and Si models, mainly because of the standard ESC that the other models lack. It must also be kept in mind that CR usually does not recommend all-new or extensively redesgined models (like the new Civic) until they have been on sale long enough to have established a reliability recoed (which must be at least average or better).
CR would recommend a new car based on previous car rankings if it has been very good consistently, so if the new Civic was tested well it would be recommended, but it didn't so it got taken off the recommended list
Old 08-02-11 | 08:33 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Someone owns a new 2012 civic nearby.... it's so similar to the old civic I had to look twice to make sure it really was the new one. Disappointing in lots of ways.
Old 08-02-11 | 08:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xioix
CR would recommend a new car based on previous car rankings if it has been very good consistently,
CR is very careful about doing that now. They got burned with the reliability decline of some of the the 2006 Camrys, after many years of recommending them based solely on previous experience.
Old 08-02-11 | 08:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Squirrelz
What I don't understand is how the Corolla can still get away with just a 4-speed transmission.
Some Subarus and Kias still have them, and yet sell well.
Old 08-02-11 | 09:39 AM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
i think honda has lost its way.the koreans and others are kicking honda's a$$.sence the s2000 was canceled they dont have anything exciting.bland,bland and blandand ugly!what do you think?
Honda (current) is dead in my book.
Kia and hyundai definitely moved up the ladder

Originally Posted by rdgdawg

I rode in the Odyssey twice (shuttle van) and twice this happened:

What were you thinking?
Did they at least give you 2 of this, one for the face to hide and one for the barf?

Old 08-02-11 | 11:39 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 100000

The Pilot is not a bad vehicle at all.
Old 08-02-11 | 11:54 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by Squirrelz
What I don't understand is how the Corolla can still get away with just a 4-speed transmission.
For some people, a 4-speed transmission is like a foreign language to them. They only really care about getting around (usually, as reliable as possible), not about how much torque the engine makes or how high it revs, the G's the car can produce in a turn, or the number of gears in the transmission. For those people, a Corolla fulfills their needs, cheaply and reliably.

Yes, a 5 or 6 speed transmission would probably make the Corolla a better car. But it would add cost to the Corolla for something that the majority of its driver don't really care about, or even notice at all.
Old 08-02-11 | 01:37 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Good maybe they will wake up. I see the new civic as a slap in the face to loyal Honda customers. Looks like greed is driving Honda now.
Old 08-02-11 | 01:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
The Pilot is not a bad vehicle at all.
if anything the pilot is the only car that i somewhat want to look at. the others are all "weird" to me
Old 08-02-11 | 02:14 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Default Autoblog's article

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/01/h...sumer-reports/

There's no greater cardinal sin in the automotive world than completely replacing a highly successful model with an inferior machine. According to Consumer Reports, that's precisely what happened with the 2012 Honda Civic.

Says David Champion, senior director of Consumer Reports' Auto Test Center: "While other models like the Hyundai Elantra have gotten better after being redesigned, the Civic has dropped so much that now it ranks near the bottom of its category."

Just how far has the Civic fallen from CR's grace? The 2012 model's 61 points is a precipitous 17-point drop from the 2011 model's score of 78. That discrepancy is enough to force the Civic out of CR's Recommended list of automobiles. The only small sedan to score lower than the Civic is the 2011 Volkswagen Jetta, which has also been widely accused of too-obvious cost cutting compared to its predecessor.

Many of the Honda Civic's fiercest competitors, on the other hand, scored very well in CR's latest round of compact car tests. The aforementioned and recently redesigned 2011 Hyundai Elantra earned the top spot overall, followed closely by the 2012 Ford Focus, 2011 Chevrolet Cruze and 2011 Kia Forte hatchback.

Also performing adequately but no longer considered class-leading are the Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra and Mazda3.
Reliability has nothing to do with this removal from CR's list, but rather the Civic's overall performance which actually dropped from the previous 6 year old model.

This redesign is totally unacceptable from Honda. I hope Honda is satisfied.
Old 08-02-11 | 04:13 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

^^ truth hurts and a tough segment to really shine in
Old 08-02-11 | 05:33 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Red face

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The word was sold like hotcakes. 127k sold thru June. Were you thinking of solid?
BAHAHAHAHA..

Yes i was.

I was thinking too...that doesn't make sense....solid like hotcakes?
Old 08-02-11 | 07:51 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kumquatism
For some people, a 4-speed transmission is like a foreign language to them. They only really care about getting around (usually, as reliable as possible), not about how much torque the engine makes or how high it revs, the G's the car can produce in a turn, or the number of gears in the transmission. For those people, a Corolla fulfills their needs, cheaply and reliably.

Yes, a 5 or 6 speed transmission would probably make the Corolla a better car. But it would add cost to the Corolla for something that the majority of its driver don't really care about, or even notice at all.
Despite not offering a 5- or 6-speed automatic transmission (that is offered outside of North America), the current North American Corolla still gets excellent real-world fuel economy and still sells well. (I would credit the excellent, highly efficient, highly refined engine.)

I have no doubt that Toyota studied putting in a better automatic transmission in this Gen10 Corolla for North America and dismissed that idea because it would have been too expensive for the compact segment.
Old 08-02-11 | 09:23 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

This all got me thinking today, "what drives a company to produce worse products?" Some possibilities: Greed, arrogance, ignorance, lack of funds, old-fashioned thinking, pride, lack of technology, and I don't know what else... It is deplorable what's happened with Honda and we've been bringing this up for a good 5-6 years now. They have had plenty of time to hear the public and or read people's opinions during these years. If the company is still NOT getting the message, there must be some seriously screwed up people running the company. I just don't know what else to conclude about this sad situation.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 08-03-11 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-02-11 | 09:33 PM
LexFather

Many of us called this from day 1. Whats SCARY and I mean SCARY to think is Honda DELAYED this model to make it more competitive. This is what they came up with? Honda does small better than anything it does, it is always one if not the small car leader and they completely settled for sub-par/average with the Civic.

The competition is now incredible, it is no longer just Civic/Corolla and everyone else. Now everyone else is just as good if not better.

Quick Reply: civic off of the recommended list