Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

civic off of the recommended list

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-11 | 06:18 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

This is probably the most competitive segment in the industry, second maybe only to the Camry / Accord segment (full size family?) I fully agree with CR on this. The new Jetta truly is crap compared to the competition. I really didn't like the previous Civic. So to say the new one is a step below that one makes me understand the low ranking. Compared to cars like the Elantra or the Mazda3, even the Corolla which is older but still gets the formula right, the new models need to be a huge step forward. And that is not the case with this new civic.
Old 08-03-11 | 07:21 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Here is Honda's response to the CR review:

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/pov.aspx?id=6144-en
Old 08-03-11 | 08:10 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by T0ked
This is probably the most competitive segment in the industry, second maybe only to the Camry / Accord segment (full size family?) I fully agree with CR on this. The new Jetta truly is crap compared to the competition. I really didn't like the previous Civic. So to say the new one is a step below that one makes me understand the low ranking. Compared to cars like the Elantra or the Mazda3, even the Corolla which is older but still gets the formula right, the new models need to be a huge step forward. And that is not the case with this new civic.
Mid-size segment, technically. Although some models boarder/qualify as full-sizers according to the EPA (including Accord, for the first time). It's gotten a bit too big IMO. And yes, this is the fiercest segment in the auto industry (in America). Although pickup trucks sell more volume perhaps, but there's much less competition. Compacts are next in line.

Originally Posted by scgt652
Here is Honda's response to the CR review:

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/pov.aspx?id=6144-en
^ Haha.

At least they're listening. Doesn't seem to be doing any good though. This bad press and internet negativity has been going on for at least 4-5 years now with Honda/Acura. It only continues to get worse.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 08-03-11 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-04-11 | 08:15 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Mid-size segment, technically. Although some models boarder/qualify as full-sizers according to the EPA (including Accord, for the first time). It's gotten a bit too big IMO.
Wow. I guess the Avalon is then full size? These cars are getting bigger and bigger every redesign. I can't, I refuse to accept that the Camry is midsize..! I think my family's first Mazda 626 was smaller than the current Corolla
Old 08-04-11 | 09:39 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by T0ked
Wow. I guess the Avalon is then full size? These cars are getting bigger and bigger every redesign. I can't, I refuse to accept that the Camry is midsize..! I think my family's first Mazda 626 was smaller than the current Corolla
Yeah, seriously. The current Corolla is much bigger than the '80's Camry.

This trend has to stop and considering the upcoming CAFE standards, they may revert back a bit to a smaller size.

The full size class includes Avalon, Taurus, Maxima, Lacrosse, Impala, ect. (which doesn't mention luxury class).