Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

civic off of the recommended list

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-11, 04:23 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts
Question civic off of the recommended list

i think honda has lost its way.the koreans and others are kicking honda's a$$.sence the s2000 was canceled they dont have anything exciting.bland,bland and blandand ugly!what do you think?
Old 08-01-11, 05:34 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I saw that on the news tonight, that Consumer Reports has taken the new Civic off of their "Recommended" list. The news report listed the reasons given for the removal.

Too bad for the Civic. Always was a nice little car. Sold like hotcakes. That part may not change.
Old 08-01-11, 05:44 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read the article. CR ranks the Civic 11th out of 12 cars in this category. The only car rated lower is the VW Jetta. CR praised the Corolla:

"Some older-design small sedans, like the highly efficient Toyota Corolla, the roomy and quiet Nissan Sentra, and the sporty Mazda3 remain competitive," Consumer Reports said.
Old 08-01-11, 05:52 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

good. the new civic is a rip off.
Old 08-01-11, 09:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I saw that on the news tonight, that Consumer Reports has taken the new Civic off of their "Recommended" list. The news report listed the reasons given for the removal.
In the latest New-Car Buying-Guide, CR still recommends the Civic Hybrid and Si models, mainly because of the standard ESC that the other models lack. It must also be kept in mind that CR usually does not recommend all-new or extensively redesgined models (like the new Civic) until they have been on sale long enough to have established a reliability recoed (which must be at least average or better).
Old 08-01-11, 09:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In the latest New-Car Buying-Guide, CR still recommends the Civic Hybrid and Si models, mainly because of the standard ESC that the other models lack. It must also be kept in mind that CR usually does not recommend all-new or extensively redesgined models (like the new Civic) until they have been on sale long enough to have established a reliability recoed (which must be at least average or better).
That changes in 2012 correct? All vehicles must has ESC iirc. I'm sure this is just a hiccup in the Civics long standing CR ratings, it'll be back I'm sure
Old 08-01-11, 11:09 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scgt652
I just read the article. CR ranks the Civic 11th out of 12 cars in this category. The only car rated lower is the VW Jetta. CR praised the Corolla:

"Some older-design small sedans, like the highly efficient Toyota Corolla, the roomy and quiet Nissan Sentra, and the sporty Mazda3 remain competitive," Consumer Reports said.
I think they got a pass because they were designed in a time where they were near the top of the class and the competition was a warmed over 2000 Focus and the Cobalt. Hopefully Toyota gets the hint that the next Corolla needs to step it up.
Old 08-01-11, 11:34 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
I think they got a pass because they were designed in a time where they were near the top of the class and the competition was a warmed over 2000 Focus and the Cobalt. Hopefully Toyota gets the hint that the next Corolla needs to step it up.
Well no matter what, it is still nice to see that the Corolla (which really hasn't changed much since 2003) is still ranked higher than the all-new Civic and Jetta.
Old 08-02-11, 12:03 AM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

What I don't understand is how the Corolla can still get away with just a 4-speed transmission.
Old 08-02-11, 01:05 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2

Too bad for the Civic. Always was a nice little car. Sold like hotcakes. That part may not change.
B.S. on that one!

The OLD Honda Civic's may have been solid, but the newer ones have had a lot of issues. My brothers 08 has had the sun visor replaced 4 times now because the hinges keep breaking (its a VERY common issue). There's a lot of reports too of people having to get new motors because of the thin metal used on the head (cracks over time and leaks coolant). Brakes are also a common issue, my brothers Civic has 50k and is on its THIRD set of brakes and its common for the front brakes to last only 10-15k miles according to my local dealership and some Civic forums.

We used to be a Honda family, had 4 at one point, but we are slowly trading them in for competitors cars mainly Toyota/Lexus & Hyundai because there's so many issues going on that Honda doesn't seem to care about.
Old 08-02-11, 01:28 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Honda has definitely lost their way and we've talked about it here and elsewhere for many years now. These types of poor ratings from CR are exactly what the public needs hear. Hopefully it leads to reduced sales, which might finally wake up Honda. Nothing else has seemed to work for the longest time.
Old 08-02-11, 03:11 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

While having the Sienna serviced last week spent some time at the dealership (Hondas as well) and I can say there is not one Honda I would drive, period.

I rode in the Odyssey twice (shuttle van) and twice this happened:
Old 08-02-11, 06:06 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
B.S. on that one!

The OLD Honda Civic's may have been solid, but the newer ones have had a lot of issues. My brothers 08 has had the sun visor replaced 4 times now because the hinges keep breaking (its a VERY common issue). There's a lot of reports too of people having to get new motors because of the thin metal used on the head (cracks over time and leaks coolant). Brakes are also a common issue, my brothers Civic has 50k and is on its THIRD set of brakes and its common for the front brakes to last only 10-15k miles according to my local dealership and some Civic forums.

We used to be a Honda family, had 4 at one point, but we are slowly trading them in for competitors cars mainly Toyota/Lexus & Hyundai because there's so many issues going on that Honda doesn't seem to care about.
The word was sold like hotcakes. 127k sold thru June. Were you thinking of solid?

Last edited by LexBob2; 08-02-11 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-02-11, 06:12 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
B.S. on that one!

I agree on the brakes.No visor problem.
My son has an '08 and the Civic just had it's 4th brake job and he's at 80+K miles.
He's tough on a car and the Civic has been bulletproof.
No other repairs just routine maintenance and I would buy another Civic in a heartbeat.
Although,the Elantra would be a possibility but I don't know how it would be long term.
Old 08-02-11, 07:03 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm not surprise at all, I was at the dealer last weekend, none of them interest me.

Civic - The last gen was not attractive but I like it over the new one
Accord - Why Honda make their new car looks fat and ugly
Odesssey - Last gen look so much better then this newly weird looking mini van
Pilot - This one indeed look fine
CRZ - Doesn't look or perform well either

When I think of new car, Honda was never on the list anymore

Quick Reply: civic off of the recommended list