Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What car would you consider???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 10:11 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
You'd have the coolest kid at day care if she rolled up in a Ferrari...
Indeed, the FF is perfect, too bad it is slightly out of the $40k budget

Just look at that interior! The baby seat fit back there

Old 08-04-11, 10:14 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by noku
I wasn't trying to hijack the op's thread so I'll refrain from further discussion on the high cost of gas.

As far as suggesting a "fuel sipper", sometimes a different view of things is important in making a decision.
The OP mention E60 M5 and E55............fuel efficiency is the last thing on his mind
Old 08-04-11, 10:29 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Interesting question, I foresee my next car purchase being something similar to this (looking for powerful sedan as my car vs. SUV/van for the wife, around $35-40k budget, used), so I've pondered this quite a bit.

My dream would be a CTS-V wagon. Since it's relatively new, I don't think you could get one for much less than $50-55k, so a bit out of budget.

This thread caught my eye because you mentioned E55. For $35-40k, you'd be buying the W211 generation of the E-Class AMG. I owned a 2003 E55 AMG prior to my current IS350. I bought it at 60k miles, for around $25k. It was a beautiful, amazing performer for an unbelievable price. I shortly found out that was for a reason.

The E55 sold new for around $90-100k. Only 60k miles later, they're down to $25-30k. That's because they're built to last through the warranty period, then fall apart. Only a few thousand miles after I bought it, everything went wrong. Suspension components (bushings, tie rods) failed to the tune of $2,000. Those types of parts aren't really easy to predict failure, and usually do at some point, so I wasn't that upset. Then the idler pulley, intercooler pump, engine thermostat, keyless door handles, steering angle sensor, and AUTOMATIC CLUTCH all failed. All of these parts failed at 60k miles - only 10k out of the warranty period. I only paid to repair the parts that were necessary (pump, thermostat, pulley) and it came to close to $5,000. The other parts all repaired would have added another $5,000. These were not wear and tear parts; they were failures of parts that were poorly designed and chosen by MB.

Furthermore, the entire W211 E-Class (not just the AMGs) were affected by a recall for the fuel sending units (there's one under each rear passenger seat) and the fuel pump, all because they used a faulty gasket which failed easily and let gasoline flow out and into the cabin, causing a fire hazard. Despite the recall being performed, people had this issue recur enough times until MB bought back their cars. This issue also happened to me, even though the recall had already been performed, and I had to fight with MB corporate to get them to cover it. The repair would have been $2,500.

This $100k E55 required almost $14,500 in repairs at only 60k miles. And I was all over the MB forums about these issues, and found that all owners were experiencing them, not just me.

After all this, I had to dump the car before it sucked any more money out of me. I never got to enjoy the car - it seemed like every single morning I came out to the car there was a new malfunction light. This is just taken to be commonplace among German luxury cars - this wasn't just a Mercedes thing, BMW and Audi suffer from similar reliability issues.

I won't be buying another German car ever again after this experience. That's exactly why I went to Lexus and will likely be staying, if they offer some sportier models outside the IS (a GS-F, for example).
Thank you for sharing that, as I also was very interested in the W211 E55 (who isn't?).

I don't see your experience reflect the car being poor quality though, that E55 model is pretty high performance, almost 500 hp, over 500 torque, those parts failing at 60k miles is totally acceptable to me, idler pulley, intercooler pump, engine thermostat, keyless door handles, steering angle sensor, and AUTOMATIC CLUTCH are all wear and tear parts. Parts on a 500 hp heavy car wears out faster on a 300 hp lighter weight car you know. Also high performance cars tend to get driven hard. Only the fuel sending units is not a wear and tear parts.

That's how it is, the more fun you have in a car, the higher the operating cost, nothing is free. When Lexus make a 500 hp GS-F some day, it will be the same thing, maybe those parts on a Lexus will last to 80k miles, but still, things wear out.
Old 08-04-11, 10:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lol wow, thank you everyone for your replies. a lot of great ideas, awesome. first of all, i want to focus more on the non-suv that we are considering. we already have a few suv choices in mind and since it's going to be hauling kid(s) and luggage, can't say we really care that much about the car

Originally Posted by J.P.
CLS 55 \ 63

Maserati Quattroporte

996 with the child seat - booster
good idea on cls, somehow ever crossed my mine. maserati i am very afraid of all the repairs. i heard they break like that.

996, indeed that's a good choice. i need to see if my wife can remotely accept the idea of 2 door...

Originally Posted by BNR34
I am wayyy cheaper then you!

My opinion of the 2nd gen M45 from my memories are:

Very spacious, great for a family man, the cabin feel almost as big as a LS460L.

Interior quality and material is lower then GS, but acceptable to me.

The 340 hp rating is optimistic, it feels slower and more sluggish then the 300 hp GS430.

What I don't like the most from Infiniti vehicles are they generally have lower refinement, they feel rougher then Lexus in every details. And they don't age well at all, they are lower quality so they don't last. If you plan to keep it for a long time, don't consider a Nissan product.

The 2IS is way too small for even my personal use, I don't even want it as a one day loaner car. (IS owners please don't hate me )
good feedback on the M. i will check again to see what it is like

for sure 2is is very small. every time i work on customers' ISes i look at the rear seats and i wonder how useful can they actually be...

A good value no frills choice would be a late model Acura RL, they are very nice cars but not popular at all so they depreciate quickly.

Really though, the GS350 you got is the best choice in that segment, so if you stay in this segment, everything else is a down grade in refinement.

The only way to get a cooler car is go to the more exotic Euro side, but then they get more expensive in repairs for a used car.
you really busting my bubble of finding something nice and fun man

I always liked the W221 S550, I think the early cars are under $40k now and they suppose to be much more reliable then the last generation.

The E60 M5s are way under $40k, that is cool if you can keep driving a stick, you know how much I hate the SMG.

How about a E55 wagon?! That can double as family duty too!
yes, the w221 is very nice indeed, and quality seems pretty ok so far. i really wish i can dig into s63 but obviously it's still quite some distance

not very easy to find m5 6mt, so yeah indeed i thought about smg. but yes, i also know how bad it is

no wagon please, unless it's rs6 avant

Audi S6 or S8 with the Lambo V10? They are all under $40k now

$40k can pretty much buy anything except newer exotics.
forgot about the s6 and s8, i should take a look. one thing i don't know is how bad i might have to sell out for all the repairs

Originally Posted by Incredible
According to cars.com:

I found 13 S500s for under $40k, cheapest was $35k with 75k miles in Costa Mesa.

Also found almost 50 750is, starting at $28k but with at least 90k miles on it.

If you mention the year and miles you want in the car, it'll make searching easier.
75k miles is a lot (too much by my book) for a 07, that's why i said "reasonable" in my first reply. i usually expect around 10-12k miles per yr as a reference. i don't know the answer, but i am not sure if i feel comfortable on that kind of mileage on a 07 s class

With the US economy in deep ***** and the american dollar in the same situation gasoline prices are gonna keep climbing. $5/gal is inevitable, $6-7 more than likely in the near future. Buy a Prius (plug-in available soon) or take that money and invest in something that'll give it some protection.

But if you really need a guzzler, just wait until gas costs $6/gal and pick one up for a steal!! Then park it in the garage and catch the bus. LOL, if this happens, I might be sitting in the bus next to you and I have a hybrid.
I wasn't trying to hijack the op's thread so I'll refrain from further discussion on the high cost of gas.

As far as suggesting a "fuel sipper", sometimes a different view of things is important in making a decision.
no worry, please do continue to post, i read everything. i can see gas price going up, but every time i consider a car i factor in the potential gas i will be paying in 2-3 years to come. of course i am not made out of money, but i can probably afford 5 bucks a gallon for now. m5 and e55 both are enemies of gas. you get 10mpg easy

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Interesting question, I foresee my next car purchase being something similar to this (looking for powerful sedan as my car vs. SUV/van for the wife, around $35-40k budget, used), so I've pondered this quite a bit.

My dream would be a CTS-V wagon. Since it's relatively new, I don't think you could get one for much less than $50-55k, so a bit out of budget.

This thread caught my eye because you mentioned E55. For $35-40k, you'd be buying the W211 generation of the E-Class AMG. I owned a 2003 E55 AMG prior to my current IS350. I bought it at 60k miles, for around $25k. It was a beautiful, amazing performer for an unbelievable price. I shortly found out that was for a reason.

The E55 sold new for around $90-100k. Only 60k miles later, they're down to $25-30k. That's because they're built to last through the warranty period, then fall apart. Only a few thousand miles after I bought it, everything went wrong. Suspension components (bushings, tie rods) failed to the tune of $2,000. Those types of parts aren't really easy to predict failure, and usually do at some point, so I wasn't that upset. Then the idler pulley, intercooler pump, engine thermostat, keyless door handles, steering angle sensor, and AUTOMATIC CLUTCH all failed. All of these parts failed at 60k miles - only 10k out of the warranty period. I only paid to repair the parts that were necessary (pump, thermostat, pulley) and it came to close to $5,000. The other parts all repaired would have added another $5,000. These were not wear and tear parts; they were failures of parts that were poorly designed and chosen by MB.

Furthermore, the entire W211 E-Class (not just the AMGs) were affected by a recall for the fuel sending units (there's one under each rear passenger seat) and the fuel pump, all because they used a faulty gasket which failed easily and let gasoline flow out and into the cabin, causing a fire hazard. Despite the recall being performed, people had this issue recur enough times until MB bought back their cars. This issue also happened to me, even though the recall had already been performed, and I had to fight with MB corporate to get them to cover it. The repair would have been $2,500.

This $100k E55 required almost $14,500 in repairs at only 60k miles. And I was all over the MB forums about these issues, and found that all owners were experiencing them, not just me.

After all this, I had to dump the car before it sucked any more money out of me. I never got to enjoy the car - it seemed like every single morning I came out to the car there was a new malfunction light. This is just taken to be commonplace among German luxury cars - this wasn't just a Mercedes thing, BMW and Audi suffer from similar reliability issues.

I won't be buying another German car ever again after this experience. That's exactly why I went to Lexus and will likely be staying, if they offer some sportier models outside the IS (a GS-F, for example).
thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it! indeed that's what i was wonder. funny on mb board you see everyone selling e55 and say it's rock solid, but i just couldn't stop thinking the price. they are cheap for a reason. if i buy one, for sure i need one with the chrysler warranty so i can replace everything that's broken. i also heard the first yr 03 was a total pain and to avoid at all cost.

one funny fact is if look at same year e55 and m5, m5 is consistently 5-8k more.

You'd have the coolest kid at day care if she rolled up in a Ferrari...
not ferrari, but i am ok with this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mflDXdjqKz4

Indeed, the FF is perfect, too bad it is slightly out of the $40k budget

Just look at that interior! The baby seat fit back there
like i said, you and allen, what am i going to do without you two!
Old 08-04-11, 10:48 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 734 Likes on 506 Posts

Probably get a boring car Any interest in waiting for the next GS or are you strictly looking at 2 seaters?

Last edited by Allen K; 08-04-11 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-04-11, 10:57 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What about a E60 550i? Plenty under 40k. Or a W211 E550.
Old 08-04-11, 11:04 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Probably get a boring car Any interest in waiting for the next GS or are you strictly looking at 2 seaters?
He said he like to avoid 2 seaters...........the car does have to carry his family once in a while.
Old 08-04-11, 11:11 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
What about a E60 550i? Plenty under 40k. Or a W211 E550.
In the E60 series, I actually like the look of the last version of the 550i more then the M5, that body kit look so smooth and that factory stance is almost hellaflush

360 hp is a little low though, enough to be not boring I guess. Did the twin turbo V8 ever made it into the E60? I always wonder about that and too lazy to look up.

Old 08-04-11, 11:22 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In the E60 series, I actually like the look of the last version of the 550i more then the M5, that body kit look so smooth and that factory stance is almost hellaflush

360 hp is a little low though, enough to be not boring I guess. Did the twin turbo V8 ever made it into the E60? I always wonder about that and too lazy to look up.

Nah only the 4.4 NA and the 4.8, 360 is kind of a sweet spot. Its still quick, edmunds clocked a 5.1 sec 0-60 and a low 13 1/4 so its far from slow.
Old 08-04-11, 11:37 PM
LexusISme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M5 is a great car but don't get one with SMG. Drove my buddy's M5 with SMG and it was such a pain especially on slow/daily drive type of situations. E92 M3 is great, why not just pick up a used one?

Audi S5 is another beautiful car

I had a modded E92 335, it was fun as hell although HPFP failure is a known issue..

good luck!!
Old 08-04-11, 11:38 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
996, indeed that's a good choice. i need to see if my wife can remotely accept the idea of 2 door...
If 911 is not too small for you, 996 might be your best choice. They worth very little now a days due to their bad looks but they are still great fun cars. I'll rather have an undesireable 911 over many other cars, it is still a 911! I found a 02' mint 996 Turbo with 15k miles listed for $49k the other day, man that looks tasty! And obviously all the non-turbo Carrera is much cheaper.

good feedback on the M. i will check again to see what it is like
M45 is ok, somehow it doesn't attract me though, I think is because Lexus is so much nicer.

for sure 2is is very small. every time i work on customers' ISes i look at the rear seats and i wonder how useful can they actually be...
The 1st time my parents got into my 2IS loaner car, they were shocked to find out Lexus made such a tiny sedan.........my dad was like wth is this? He can't even get in it!

you really busting my bubble of finding something nice and fun man
Well you posted a whole thread asking for opinion, so I give you mine......lol. It is really very simple, Asians are sensible and reliable so low on repair cost, but there is only Lexus, Infiniti and Acura. Lexus is best by far and you already owned all the best ones, if you want any other Asians, they are all downgrade. Euros are all a lot of fun, but they all don't last very long so much higher repair cost.

not very easy to find m5 6mt, so yeah indeed i thought about smg. but yes, i also know how bad it is
You reminded me the 6mt came out in 2nd or 3rd model years, all early cars that are under $40k would be SMG. SMG are just wow......speechless.

no wagon please, unless it's rs6 avant
so you would drive a wagon if it is a RS6 huh.....what a double standard Well it is not here, so no V10 RS6 for you. I drove the 1st gen RS6 that was here, 03-04' I think, felt pretty crappy to me, didn't even feel like the claim 450 hp

forgot about the s6 and s8, i should take a look. one thing i don't know is how bad i might have to sell out for all the repairs
Idk them, but Audi and detuned V10 from Lambo......is scary to me, try it and let me know how it goes?

75k miles is a lot (too much by my book) for a 07, that's why i said "reasonable" in my first reply. i usually expect around 10-12k miles per yr as a reference. i don't know the answer, but i am not sure if i feel comfortable on that kind of mileage on a 07 s class
75k on a Lexus is ok, it is done on an Euros.......I am with you.

thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it! indeed that's what i was wonder. funny on mb board you see everyone selling e55 and say it's rock solid,
Of course no one would say it is falling apart on a for sale ad

i also heard the first yr 03 was a total pain and to avoid at all cost.
That rule apply to all cars, not just Euros alone. Well maybe the very 1st LS400 was a rare exception, that car was bulletproofed.

one funny fact is if look at same year e55 and m5, m5 is consistently 5-8k more.
Less things breaks on the M5, the air suspension on the E55 alone is a big PITA.

like i said, you and allen, what am i going to do without you two!
Maybe we can go car shopping with you to give you valueable advices
Old 08-04-11, 11:40 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Nah only the 4.4 NA and the 4.8, 360 is kind of a sweet spot. Its still quick, edmunds clocked a 5.1 sec 0-60 and a low 13 1/4 so its far from slow.
That is not bad, NA keep the repair cost down too.
Old 08-04-11, 11:42 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexusISme
M5 is a great car but don't get one with SMG. Drove my buddy's M5 with SMG and it was such a pain especially on slow/daily drive type of situations. E92 M3 is great, why not just pick up a used one?

Audi S5 is another beautiful car

I had a modded E92 335, it was fun as hell although HPFP failure is a known issue..

good luck!!
OP is getting out of a E93 M3, I imagine he won't want another one.

I do like the S5, it looks so handsome and is a V8
Old 08-04-11, 11:48 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I just came up with one, if you don't want the used Euro's worry and none of the Japanese fit your needs, how about a new Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec?

I haven't driven the R-Spec but from my feeling I would want that more then an old M45. The R-Spec is 430 hp 5.0L V8 and is only $47k new, I would definitely check that out if I am in your position. $47k is so low for what it is!

Or an Equus, but that is $58k and I don't know if you want a Korean LS460.

The review on the R-Spec is not that hot, but they mainly complaining about it being not very hot, they didn't actually find anything wrong with it. I see it as a slightly lesser GS-F for almost half price and I feel it is an upgrade from your GS350, it is brand new with a warranty for $47k!

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/21/2...-drive-review/

Last edited by BNR34; 08-04-11 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-05-11, 12:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i am already driving a e93 m3 now. it's one hell of a car, but usually i try not to get the same thing again. e92 is quicker by all means, but still virtually the same car by my book.

and yes, i guess we can all agree on the e60 m5 smg. you just can't drive the car right after a full dinner or you will throw up half the meal, lol

550i, very true, i should take a look. though some part of me just say if i look at that car, should just go ahead with m5 instead

s5 is nice looking car but i think they are asking way too much money for it?

and yes, i try to AVOID 2 seater!

good idea on genesis, i completely forgot about the car. i drove the 4.6 before and it wasn't bad. though at that time i think the car lack more soul than ls460

Quick Reply: What car would you consider???