Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What car would you consider???

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-11, 01:48 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Although it is always on a case bay case basis, the W211s get better with each passing year. The 03's are definitely problematic. Without going to the AMGs, the 09 E550s have the latest COMAND/Nav, 380hp, 390ft-lbs tq, many with the "amg" kit.

As suggested above, newer Genesis is also a good option.
Old 08-05-11, 05:43 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good idea on cls, somehow ever crossed my mine. maserati i am very afraid of all the repairs. i heard they break like that.

996, indeed that's a good choice. i need to see if my wife can remotely accept the idea of 2 door...
I always loved the CLS and think people always forget about it, all you hear is A6\E\5\GS...... CLS is right in the mix if you have kids

We also looked at 997's and the thought of using a infant seat \ booter, most people say their kids love riding in the back of the car.

lots of threads like this with info

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-question.html
Old 08-05-11, 05:58 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 734 Likes on 506 Posts

That's what I get for scanning the original post
Old 08-05-11, 07:00 AM
Badsupra10
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have $40k to play with a Ferrari is well within your reach my friend. Look at f355 or 99 ish 360
Old 08-05-11, 07:06 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
So it's that time of the year again that I am considering changing car. But problem is I am not sure what out there to consider.

Here's the situation. We will likely have a SUV in house mainly for the baby, so that's somewhat taken care of. And we are thinking about selling the GS350 for something else.

The something else is of course the problem. Obviously I want a Ferrari but that doesn't work out yet I am thinking about spending around 35-40k, probably used. No 2 seater, still want to somewhat OK for kids if necessary.

Thought about used E60 M5 and E55, but in some way that's like roll of dice. Dunno what else to consider?
How did I miss this thread

Here is what you need

I think most have stated most of the choices.....

Old 08-05-11, 11:04 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

henry, below is my opinion, and not all directly at you (some is general to all):

keep the GS350 as that is already paid for. why spend more money changing cars when you don't have to? if it is just for transportation, the GS fits the bill perfectly. besides, if you have to part out all the mods you put into the car, you will lose out when it is time to sell the parts. might as well keep the car and enjoy it. unless of course you want to sell the GS before it depreciates any further (then that's a different story).

i'd look into getting a used RX/GX/LX for the family needs. or lease an audi Q7

then again imho, when you have family, priority changes and you need to save as much money as you can. so that means being practical on things like repair costs, reliability issues, safety, etc, etc. and there is nothing wrong about downgrading to another class of vehicle (say hyundai, acura, honda, toyota) if your primary purpose is to save money for you and your family's future. too often we all get caught up in the "keeping up with the jones" syndrome (neighbour got a new expensive car, i gotta get one too to keep up with the image).

now i'm not saying that you can't afford a more expensive car, nor am i implying anything. but with today's current economic climate, it is prudent to live below one's means in order to have a bit more secure financial future. i say this not just to you, but to anyone that is reading this. just 2 cents.
Old 08-05-11, 12:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Why would anyone getting out of a GS350 voluntary that is not due to financial reason want an Infiniti G or M sedans? It is a down grade to the same thing, might as well just keep the GS350.
Infiniti M models can be quite impressive.....easily the equal of Lexus GS models. And the M35/45 X-drive AWD models have been more reliable than GS350 AWD models, which, according to Consumer Reports, have more problems than other Lexus products. Infiniti sedans, though, depreciate a little more than those of Lexus because they generally don't sell as many....that can make them fairly good buys as used cars.

Henry live in So Cal, the only reason he would needs AWD is if he got a car that got more then 500 hp with traction problem on bone dry pavement......like a 550 hp+ F10 M5 or 2012 E63.
Yes, I know where he lives. Sure, SoCal has dry sunny weather most of the time between March and November, but in the winter, they get heavy rain, thunderstorms, and sometimes mud-slides from Pacific storms. Under those conditions (or if he wants to drive in the CA mountains), AWD could come in handy. Infiniti sedans, of course, also come in RWD, if AWD is not wanted or needed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-05-11 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-05-11, 01:12 PM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Yes, I know where he lives. Sure, SoCal has dry sunny weather most of the time between March and November, but in the winter, they get heavy rain, thunderstorms, and sometimes mud-slides from Pacific storms. Under those conditions (or if he wants to drive in the CA mountains), AWD could come in handy. Infiniti sedans, of course, also come in RWD, if AWD is not wanted or needed.
Socal averages about 15 inches of rain per year lol

I've lived in socal all my life, AWD would be pretty much pointless
Old 08-05-11, 01:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Ap1_Alan
I've lived in socal all my life, AWD would be pretty much pointless
Do you live in a part of SoCal where they get mud and deep water on the roads?

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-05-11 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-05-11, 01:27 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

bimmer 335 and m3 are a pretty nice option in the future.
Old 08-05-11, 01:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

thanks again for all the feedback. i have been driving rwd for the past 9 years and i even drive my m3 every day this past winter with all the rains and storms (the CA version, lol). at least with my kind of driving and awareness i don't see the real need of awd at all. of course awd can be safer, but in reality i haven't seen the need
Old 08-05-11, 02:03 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Have you thought about LFA? jk jk
Old 08-05-11, 02:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
Have you thought about LFA? jk jk
RRRRIIIGGGHHTTTT, why didn't i think of that
Old 08-05-11, 02:28 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Infiniti M models can be quite impressive.....easily the equal of Lexus GS models. And the M35/45 X-drive AWD models have been more reliable than GS350 AWD models, which, according to Consumer Reports, have more problems than other Lexus products. Infiniti sedans, though, depreciate a little more than those of Lexus because they generally don't sell as many....that can make them fairly good buys as used cars.
The last Infiniti M was not equal to the 2GS/3GS in every aspects. The current M looks great, I feel the interior is on par or even better then the 3GS, but I haven't bother to drive it to know how it drive.

I live 50 miles South of him for 22 years now The only AWD cars I owned is for hard launches off the line from a light to win street drag racing For any car that is too weak to spin the tire on bone dry pavement, AWD is useless on it, all it does is reduces fuel efficiency and steering responses.

Last edited by BNR34; 08-05-11 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-05-11, 05:03 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

What do you think about the Genesis R Spec? It could fit the bill, or a used IS-F.

Quick Reply: What car would you consider???