Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What car would you consider???

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-11, 09:36 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Ah, the time has come, huh Henry???

A lot of you guys are not reading his requests correctly.

He's not asking for a full time family transporter-he's getting an suv for that.

He's looking for a fun car in the $40k range- 4 door 4 passenger part time hauler.
You should've mentioned what cars you had the in the past so there won't be any redundancy:
GS400, LS460, SC430, M3, any others not mentioned?

I just went through your situation and you know what I ended up with.
We're lucky to have the nsx as a weekend car since we carpool in the van.

I couldn't wait for a new SC to show up in the horizon.

I had a budget of $50k, (wanted a 4 seater fun car initially) and this was my shopping list and some were just for kicks, listed in order of priority:

Supercharged NSX. The sensible side spoke to me. Given my driving distance/condition, the most I could ever drive was 80mph. I have a wife and 2 kids to take care so there was no sense in having a fast car that I will NEVER release the full potential, didn't want the temptation to get into trouble with all the tickets, and ultimately come home in 1 piece .

Other acuras were a joke.

older:
M5
E55 amg
CL55 amg- I still stare at this one though.
SL55 amg-a 2 seater that I did consider
CLS amg

no porsche-I hate porsche. There's no denying about the performance though. Lazy designers
S8, A5, otherwise nothing else in the audi line that I love.

In the end, I didn't want to throw ridiculous money away to fix these cars. It's basically a yearly family vacation.

SC430-wife hated it. I didn't care for it either.
IS vert.
older SC300/400.
Supra

older M45, even the FX. nothing else infiniti had that was exciting.
300zx tt

Even:
Camaro and Mustang GT (mainly because of Transformers)

hate Jag, don't care for the Maserati.

I don't think I left anything out.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll let us know what you'll come up with.

Originally Posted by calvin2376
This thread caught my eye because you mentioned E55. I shortly found out that was for a reason.

I won't be buying another German car ever again after this experience. That's exactly why I went to Lexus and will likely be staying, if they offer some sportier models outside the IS (a GS-F, for example).
Thanks for reassuring as to why I won't ever get a german again. I got better things to do than the money and downtime to fix something that is not a maintenance issue. Well, even the maintenance is $$$.

Originally Posted by Stormforge
henry, below is my opinion, and not all directly at you (some is general to all):

keep the GS350 as that is already paid for. why spend more money changing cars when you don't have to?

i'd look into getting a used RX/GX/LX for the family needs. or lease an audi Q7

then again imho, when you have family, priority changes and you need to save as much money as you can. so that means being practical on things like repair costs, reliability issues, safety, etc, etc. and there is too often we all get caught up in the "keeping up with the jones" syndrome (neighbour got a new expensive car, i gotta get one too to keep up with the image).

now i'm not saying that you can't afford a more expensive car, nor am i implying anything. but with today's current economic climate, it is prudent to live below one's means in order to have a bit more secure financial future. i say this not just to you, but to anyone that is reading this. just 2 cents.
Well said about being financially responsible.

However, I didn't want to get preachy either, but given the OP's family situation, I'm sure he's well aware of that.
Given that he has a newborn (Congrats Henry!!!), every new parent will take their future finance into consideration and will allow some fun expense.

It really has nothing to do with keeping with the Joneses, and if you are, then it will never end

Last edited by GS3Tek; 08-06-11 at 09:58 AM. Reason: forgot the old z
Old 08-06-11, 09:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Quite a post, GS3Tek. I don't ever remember seeing you do one that long.

A lot of you guys are not reading his requests correctly.

He's not asking for a full time family transporter-he's getting an suv for that.

He's looking for a fun car in the $40k range- 4 door 4 passenger part time hauler.
You should've mentioned what cars you had the in the past so there won't be any redundancy:
GS400, LS460, SC430, M3, any others not mentioned?
I'm aware that Henry is looking for something, in the 35-40K range, that he can use both as a Drivers' Car and, if needed, as an occasional 4-door for the family. That's why, under the circumstances, I previously suggested some new or used G or M Infiniti sedans first. They are often good values as used-cars. They also offer the choice of RWD or AWD.
Old 08-06-11, 09:55 AM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Quite a post, GS3Tek. I don't ever remember seeing you do one that long.

I'm aware that Henry is looking for something, in the 35-40K range, that he can use both as a Drivers' Car and, if needed, as an occasional 4-door for the family. That's why, under the circumstances, I previously suggested some new or used G or M Infiniti sedans first. They are often good values as used-cars. They also offer the choice of RWD or AWD.
I don't remember having one that long either

I didn't include you as not misreading Henry's request-it would be hard to pick out every member who replied.
I even looked at the old M and even older M45 like you mentioned.
Old 08-06-11, 10:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow, thank you so much guys, i really really appreciate all the info, you guys are great!!!!!!!! i am so grateful i asked here, a lot of honest opinions!

thanks Incredible for your links, i am definitely going to check them out closely, appreciate it!!!

lol chris, what a post! and i think you are the stalker who comes after me all the time huh. i need to hide my history a little better from now on great post and great choices. i thought hard about nsx but as much as i love the exterior, when i researched about the interior i am just not sure if i fit in there. even with a 05 it still looks about the same as early 90s. no offense because i know the car is about "go", but i was expecting a bit more

i probably won't get anything american at all, but it's totally personal preference. in some way i am still very doubtful about their craftsmanship (even more so than the euros) but more important i am tired of how the government had protected them (not getting political here). even without owning any american, i feel i like i have bought a few myself.

if i get euro, i definitely want to look into extended warranty. although they are improving, i think think it's "gambling". you either get a very solid one (like my m3) or you get a very cute one...

and chris, NO cl55!!!!! the previous generation cl has problems after problems!!!!!!
Old 08-06-11, 10:57 AM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by rominl
lol chris, what a post! and i think you are the stalker who comes after me all the time huh. i need to hide my history a little better from now on great post and great choices. i thought hard about nsx but as much as i love the exterior, when i researched about the interior i am just not sure if i fit in there. even with a 05 it still looks about the same as early 90s. no offense because i know the car is about "go", but i was expecting a bit more

and chris, NO cl55!!!!! the previous generation cl has problems after problems!!!!!!
Be careful what you post on CL here. It'll bite you in the ***

I wasn't pushing you on the nsx, for one, you need the 4 seater and this one is definitely out.

Yeah, interior wise, they didn't change it all really on the 05 vs pre 02.

Interior is very plain/simple, but I like it somehow

If I had money to throw away, I would love to get the CL55 though
New one is just too damn ugly.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 08-06-11 at 10:59 AM. Reason: correction
Old 08-06-11, 12:30 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i get euro, i definitely want to look into extended warranty. although they are improving, i think think it's "gambling". you either get a very solid one (like my m3) or you get a very cute one...
I don't know what to do with my M3. I bought the car outright in 2008 and warranty is coming up very soon. I looked into extended warranty and they are pretty pricy and the coverages aren't that great. too confusing. My M3 has been pretty solid as well, aside from the blown LSD at 5k mile and oil leaks here and there. lol. And I only have 12k miles on the car. May be I will sell it before the warranty runs out and get a plug in prius. We should get a matching one.
Old 08-06-11, 04:27 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Anytime man.

If you're considering Euro, the '08 750i is Certified with only 33k miles. You can get the extended warranty and you'll be set. Looks nice too with the black on black!

Wasn't sure if you're into the Jags, I know that a lot of members here like em, and the ones I posted were reasonable.

It all comes down to what you want though.

Oh, and FYI, I used my area code (91104) in the search. If you use yours, I'm sure you'll find more cars.
Old 08-06-11, 05:11 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Am I the only one here that likes Jags in general? Im one of the members that has a sweet spot for Jags.
Old 08-06-11, 05:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
I don't know what to do with my M3. I bought the car outright in 2008 and warranty is coming up very soon. I looked into extended warranty and they are pretty pricy and the coverages aren't that great. too confusing. My M3 has been pretty solid as well, aside from the blown LSD at 5k mile and oil leaks here and there. lol. And I only have 12k miles on the car. May be I will sell it before the warranty runs out and get a plug in prius. We should get a matching one.
only 12k miles?! man, you don't drive enough! mine is over 31k already. i have only had a bad sensor once so far causing it into limp mode, otherwise i drive the heck out of it and it's been rock solid.

that's the thing, i think their quality is definitely getting better, but not sure if i can go without warranty. it's too much of a hit and miss
Old 08-06-11, 06:16 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

only 12k miles?! man, you don't drive enough! mine is over 31k already. i have only had a bad sensor once so far causing it into limp mode, otherwise i drive the heck out of it and it's been rock solid.

that's the thing, i think their quality is definitely getting better, but not sure if i can go without warranty. it's too much of a hit and miss
I live in San Fran, and I got no where to go! haha Besides, I still have my 4runner, and I like driving 4runner in the city better than M3.
Old 08-06-11, 09:48 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Well said about being financially responsible.

However, I didn't want to get preachy either, but given the OP's family situation, I'm sure he's well aware of that.
Given that he has a newborn (Congrats Henry!!!), every new parent will take their future finance into consideration and will allow some fun expense.

It really has nothing to do with keeping with the Joneses, and if you are, then it will never end

it has nothing to do with being preachy, it is about giving some friendly advice - nothing more, nothing less. what henry does with the advice is for himself to decide.
Old 08-07-11, 04:16 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why are you drag-racing on the streets? That is not only illegal but can be dangerous. In my state, you can lose your license for that.
Because in the town I live in, most people drive super quick off the line car (Continental GT, AMG 65, 911 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo, Panamera Turbo, X5 M....etc.) and they all drive very competitively. So if I want to change lane at all, I have to do full on drag style launch in my little GTR or STi just to be able to change lane in front of them. Their half throttle is as quick as my modded GTR at full throttle. They are only at half throttle, so it doesn't really count as racing

So I wasn't drag racing for fun, it is a necessity

Last edited by BNR34; 08-07-11 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-07-11, 04:26 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Am I the only one here that likes Jags in general? Im one of the members that has a sweet spot for Jags.
Jags are cool, but if I am going to take on the British headaches....or charms, depends on how you look at it I might as well get an Aston Martin, they are the same price used and come with the same headaches.

I was chatting with a guy at the gas station with a brand new XJ, he haven't even got his plate yet, he told me he is already experiencing electrical glitches.....wow.

The new XK-RS is cool, but might as well get a cooler Vantage or DB9, they are the same price if you know how to work the system There is a brand new never title 2009 DB9 left over stock in my local dealer, $65k below MSRP.
Old 08-07-11, 08:12 PM
dartom
Driver School Candidate

id go with a bmw 500 series or mercedes e class or a gs460 lexus all are great vehicles that also can be fun when you push down the gas
Old 08-07-11, 09:00 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Jags are cool, but if I am going to take on the British headaches....or charms, depends on how you look at it I might as well get an Aston Martin, they are the same price used and come with the same headaches.

I was chatting with a guy at the gas station with a brand new XJ, he haven't even got his plate yet, he told me he is already experiencing electrical glitches.....wow.

The new XK-RS is cool, but might as well get a cooler Vantage or DB9, they are the same price if you know how to work the system There is a brand new never title 2009 DB9 left over stock in my local dealer, $65k below MSRP.
Well maybe he just got a lemon? I'm seriously considering a 11' XJR and I hope Jag improved the reliability of their cars. My co worker just got a XJR SS and so far he hasn't had a problem. I am going to get a XJ however, if I do have any problems I'm gonna get a S Class in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply: What car would you consider???