Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What car would you consider???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-11, 09:33 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Well maybe he just got a lemon? I'm seriously considering a 11' XJR and I hope Jag improved the reliability of their cars. My co worker just got a XJR SS and so far he hasn't had a problem. I am going to get a XJ however, if I do have any problems I'm gonna get a S Class in a heartbeat.
Don't get me wrong, I am not making fun of Euros, I was just telling it like it is. In fact, my next car's purchase will be European also, that's just how it is, Euros are cooler but more headaches and don't last as long. Japs are hassle free and last forever, but they are boring and lame. It is one or the other, you can't have both.

The way I see it, Euros are the same as mistresses, crazy hot and tons of fun, but won't cook and clean, PITA super high maintenance and cost a lot over the long run, also they age quickly.

Japs are like housewife, cook and clean, last forever and won't cost a whole lot, but super boring.
Old 08-07-11, 09:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Don't get me wrong, I am not making fun of Euros, I was just telling it like it is. In fact, my next car's purchase will be European also, that's just how it is, Euros are cooler but more headaches and don't last as long. Japs are hassle free and last forever, but they are boring and lame. It is one or the other, you can't have both.

The way I see it, Euros are the same as mistresses, crazy hot and tons of fun, but won't cook and clean, PITA super high maintenance and cost a lot over the long run, also they age quickly.

Japs are like housewife, cook and clean, last forever and won't cost a whole lot, but super boring.
i am glad i wasn't eating or drinking when i saw your post!
Old 08-07-11, 09:39 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I couldn't agree with you more.
Old 08-07-11, 09:44 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i am glad i wasn't eating or drinking when i saw your post!
haha.....is the truth!
Old 08-07-11, 09:46 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I couldn't agree with you more.
Yup, you either go with the hotness, deal with the drama and pay to play. Or be bored but hassle free and saving money

I am gonna go save money for a while and then go buy me some hotness
Old 08-07-11, 09:51 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy some hotness at the end of the year because I was sold once I saw the XJ redesign. Its just something about it that attracts me lol.
Old 08-07-11, 11:31 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

well said whether those Euro guys believe it or not its true
Old 08-07-11, 11:46 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy some hotness at the end of the year because I was sold once I saw the XJ redesign. Its just something about it that attracts me lol.
I love the new XJ styling too, especially the LWB one, boy it sure is stylish looking! I was starring at one just today, a white LWB........I can't take my eyes off of it. As oppose to Lexus, the 4GS looks boring to me even before it comes out

The interior of the new XJ is awesome too, I love the entire rim of the steering wheel is wood And the low cowl/dash design is very cool too. The only thing I dislike is the smallish feeling interior due to the stylish styling and the lack of power door soft closer option on a $100k luxury sedan.

Hey it is all just money at the end, Euros just cost more, period. If you can swing it, all the power to you. Nothing wrong with that!
Old 08-07-11, 11:50 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by HellaG35

well said whether those Euro guys believe it or not its true
Some of them knows but some of them are in denial, they think what they love is perfect in everyways.

They think a super model playmate girlfriend can cook and clean, do everything they want her to do and won't cost anything.........right
Old 08-08-11, 09:36 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Thank you for sharing that, as I also was very interested in the W211 E55 (who isn't?).

I don't see your experience reflect the car being poor quality though, that E55 model is pretty high performance, almost 500 hp, over 500 torque, those parts failing at 60k miles is totally acceptable to me, idler pulley, intercooler pump, engine thermostat, keyless door handles, steering angle sensor, and AUTOMATIC CLUTCH are all wear and tear parts. Parts on a 500 hp heavy car wears out faster on a 300 hp lighter weight car you know. Also high performance cars tend to get driven hard. Only the fuel sending units is not a wear and tear parts.

That's how it is, the more fun you have in a car, the higher the operating cost, nothing is free. When Lexus make a 500 hp GS-F some day, it will be the same thing, maybe those parts on a Lexus will last to 80k miles, but still, things wear out.
I'm sorry, but you're crazy if you think Lexus would ever sell a car, 500 hp or not, that would require repair costs in excess of 15% MSRP at 60-80k miles.

You're right that in the long run, the parts mentioned above could be termed wear and tear parts. But the long run should be longer than 60k miles on a Mercedes 4-door sedan, even if it does have 500 hp.

The reasoning that it's a high performance car does not justify the abysmal reliability of the W211 E55. Mercedes chose parts that wore and/or failed prematurely, pure and simple. When considering the E55, I looked at the E39 M5 and the RS6, and while both had their own issues, neither had reliability problems to anywhere near the degree of the E55 and neither had issues directly attributable to having high-horsepower engines. The RS6 was notorious for suspension issues, and the M5 had various electrical problems. But neither was known for simply crapping out at 60k miles and requiring replacement of 5-6 major powertrain components to the tune of $15,000.

500 hp cars are not all made the same. When Lexus sells a GS-F with 400-500 hp, it will not require $15,000 of repairs when it hits 60k miles. That's because Lexus puts a high value on reliability and values its reputation for well-built cars. Mercedes, on the other hand, is known for poor reliability and incredibly expensive repairs/maintenance.