Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What car would you consider???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 03:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default What car would you consider???

So it's that time of the year again that I am considering changing car. But problem is I am not sure what out there to consider.

Here's the situation. We will likely have a SUV in house mainly for the baby, so that's somewhat taken care of. And we are thinking about selling the GS350 for something else.

The something else is of course the problem. Obviously I want a Ferrari but that doesn't work out yet I am thinking about spending around 35-40k, probably used. No 2 seater, still want to somewhat OK for kids if necessary.

Thought about used E60 M5 and E55, but in some way that's like roll of dice. Dunno what else to consider?
Old 08-04-11, 03:05 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

IS-F.

I really want this one but living in Nebraska it does not work out for me at all.
Old 08-04-11, 03:08 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 811 Likes on 565 Posts

I say go for the Ferrari
Old 08-04-11, 03:31 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

are you replacing the M3 with a SUV? my thought is that if you love driving the M3, keep the M3 and trade the GS350 for a used SUV.

also depend on your thoughts: are you getting a "driver's car" or a car just for transportation? need more info before we can say anything lol!
Old 08-04-11, 03:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Well, Henry, if it's a good used Drivers' Car you want for 35-40K, check out some used (or even new) Infiniti G or M sedans......many of them would be in your price-range. They ride a little stiff for my tastes, but would probably be right up your alley. Infiniti sedans are generally reliable, are somewhat on the sporty side for handling, offer an AWD option for bad weather, have a reasonable-size back seat for kids, are built well, and depreciate a litle more than aveage, making then often good buys as used cars.

As far as SUVs or minivans go for 35-40K, you probably won't have to buy used. There are plenty of good brand-new ones in that price range for the needs of your family.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-04-11 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-04-11, 04:19 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS460!! But that's just me.

Since you're considering German, why not a 7 series or S class?
Old 08-04-11, 04:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
IS-F.

I really want this one but living in Nebraska it does not work out for me at all.
that can definitely be a choice. but i think they are all over 40k for decent 08?

Originally Posted by Allen K
I say go for the Ferrari
allen, i am sooo going to kick you

Originally Posted by Stormforge
are you replacing the M3 with a SUV? my thought is that if you love driving the M3, keep the M3 and trade the GS350 for a used SUV.

also depend on your thoughts: are you getting a "driver's car" or a car just for transportation? need more info before we can say anything lol!
there is no way i will keep the m3. it's a great lease deal, but they jacked up the residual so it's too expensive to buy out. doesn't make any sense.

of course it's great if the other car can give me some of the "fun" factor, that's why i named e55 and m5. i definitely don't want to get a camry otherwise i might as well just stay with the gs

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, Henry, if it's a good used Drivers' Car you want for 35-40K, check out some used (or even new) Infiniti G or M sedans......many of them would be in your price-range. They ride a little stiff for my tastes, but would probably be right up your alley. Infiniti sedans are generally reliable, are somewhat on the sporty side for handling, offer an AWD option for bad weather, have a reasonable-size back seat for kids, are built well, and depreciate a litle more than aveage, making then often good buys as used cars.

As far as SUVs or minivans go for 35-40K, you probably won't have to buy used. There are plenty of good brand-new ones in that price range for the needs of your family.
good idea on the infiniti, i should definitely check them out. a used M might be a good idea indeed.

Originally Posted by Incredible
LS460!! But that's just me.

Since you're considering German, why not a 7 series or S class?
already had a ls460 before, usually i try to avoid getting the same car. s class no way i am getting w220. reasonable w221 are all over 40k. 7 series can be another good choice too
Old 08-04-11, 04:42 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why would anyone getting out of a GS350 voluntary that is not due to financial reason want an Infiniti G or M sedans? It is a down grade to the same thing, might as well just keep the GS350.

Henry live in So Cal, the only reason he would needs AWD is if he got a car that got more then 500 hp with traction problem on bone dry pavement......like a 550 hp+ F10 M5 or 2012 E63.
Old 08-04-11, 04:45 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
that can definitely be a choice. but i think they are all over 40k for decent 08?
The last time I checked, I found 8 IS-Fs for under $40k within 500 miles of So Cal.

But isn't an IS way too tiny for a family man?
Old 08-04-11, 04:47 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

For under $40k, these are my choices on top of my head

95' Ferrari F355

00' Bentley Arnage

02' 996 Turbo
Old 08-04-11, 04:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BNR34
Why would anyone getting out of a GS350 voluntary that is not due to financial reason want an Infiniti G or M sedans? It is a down grade to the same thing, might as well just keep the GS350.

Henry live in So Cal, the only reason he would needs AWD is if he got a car that got more then 500 hp with traction problem on bone dry pavement......like a 550 hp+ F10 M5 or 2012 E63.
lol i am cheap, man i don't think i will consider a g, like you said that's a downgrade. a m45 might be nice, more like a change in that case. though i really have to revisit infiniti interior. i remember it wasn't very nice

The last time I checked, I found 8 IS-Fs for under $40k within 500 miles of So Cal.

But isn't an IS way too tiny for a family man?
well as long as with have a suv, the weight of "size" on the 2nd car is less. but for sure it's on the small size (considering that i think the gs350 is very small already). not to mention it's 2+2, which i think is quite silly when it's supposed to be just a "sedan"
Old 08-04-11, 04:50 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag
Old 08-04-11, 04:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

For under $40k, these are my choices on top of my head

95' Ferrari F355

00' Bentley Arnage

02' 996 Turbo
lol you and allen, you two are GREAT influences
Old 08-04-11, 04:58 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
lol you and allen, you two are GREAT influences
I am here to help
Old 08-04-11, 05:04 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CLS 55 \ 63

Maserati Quattroporte

996 with the child seat - booster

Quick Reply: What car would you consider???