Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

rsx-s or sc300 5 speed? need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 07:58 PM
N00bie909
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rsx-s or sc300 5 speed? need opinions

well i had my 1992 sc300 for about 2 years and i havent driven it in a while maybe i miss it. Im just doing a whole make over but i see this car as being a long term project. as for the rsx-s its faster good aftermarket support and with a lip kit some coilovers and wheels it should be nice. The only thing that drives me away is that there are so many rsx/hondas and the sc300 being rare and classy.

my goal is to have a nice clean car (eye looker) that can keep up with sti's i know both of these cars will require lots of mods for that but which would be better is my question for my goal.

sc300 pros.
has volk gtcs
getting repainted (dont know if i want to go through with it)
97 front bumper big win front lip auto couture sides and rear
vertex fenders
nardi steering wheel with nrg quick release
original 5 speed.
tein coilovers
cold air intake
hids
sound system

sc300 cons.
needs alternator
distributor seal
needs to be repainted and put together fix all the dings
interior is ripped and tan

rsx-s pros
faster than my stock sc300
good aftermarket support
newer
dont have to paint it go through the long term project with my sc300

rsx-s cons
i would have a car payment
another honda ricer car
not original
front wheel drive less torque
Old 08-04-11, 08:25 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

No brainer, the SC all the way..

Let me try a different take on this, the RSX type s is a good car, has nice power mods and can be made to look very nice..

Now the SC, it's in a special class to me, the styling is timeless, it is a big sexy coupe, you can fit awesome looking deep dish wheels on one, and the SC300 has a 2JZ, so horsepower is unlimited depending on your budget. There is just so much you can do with a SC that even 10 years or more of ownership, I don't think you will get tired of it.

Lastly if someone gave me $50,000, and said buy a Japanese coupe, besides the Supra, I would pick the SC, over the 370Z, G35 etc.. I think that says it all..
Old 08-04-11, 08:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Both have good reliability. True the SC300 is rare, but RSX-S are also uncommon at least where I live. I had a friend who had an RSX-Type S and it was modded tastefully as to not be ricer. IDK, if you feel you can keep up with the car payment then I'd say take a break from the SC and enjoy the FWD RSX for a bit. Surely you can always come back to a Lexus.
Old 08-04-11, 08:47 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N00bie909

rsx-s cons
i would have a car payment
another honda ricer car
not original
front wheel drive less torque
+Will get pulled over more often
+Attracts thieves
you forgot a couple things
Old 08-04-11, 08:56 PM
1J0Z SC
Lead Lap

Yes and with an RSX you will have a loud exhaust that to me personally doesnt sound too great. All honda's sound the same (forgiven the NSX) but SC all the way man, every car needs some type of work..
Old 08-05-11, 03:33 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

One of the main concerns of an rsx-s for me being in NY is definately theft. They are constantly stolen or stripped here. DUnno how it is for you in CA though. I was actually considering one before, but hated the idea of being worried everytime i go to the movies/mall/store etc.
Old 08-05-11, 04:03 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got tired of my SC400 pretty fast. It can be modded really nice, but it always still felt like a heavy boat too me. I tend to like more sporty feeling cars. For me, I'd take the RSX-S. It's newer, cost less to mod, less things to repair at the moment, better on gas.
Old 08-05-11, 05:58 AM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Forget the RSX. If you more agility than your SC could offer then consider a 5 speed IS300
Old 08-05-11, 06:56 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I sold my RSX-S on June-2011 and I miss it alot!! I should have not sold it after all!!!! The RSX-s is fast, easy to drive and handle extremely well. I have mine stock with TEIN spring, but the 6MT and 7,800rpm just make you want to push it all the way to the redline!!! In additional, its a 4-banger=gas saver!!!

How much you think you gonna spend to mod the sc?? its will cost alot more to maintain and mod. For the RSX-S, just get some header, exhaust, intake, light weight pully, and result is about 220 WHP. I'm talking about WHP, not factory number, 220WHP is enough to take down the the heavy stock G35/G37.

The road is suck in the city no matter what, so get a RSX-S and have fun, 220WHP is all you need in the city!!
Old 08-05-11, 08:00 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Rsx all the way. Its a lot more fun to drive than an sc if you like handling. The sc is capable but its going to take some work. No one says it has to be riced out. No car is ricey..its the owners that make it that way...
Old 08-05-11, 09:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

sc - refined. pricy to mod.
rsx - fun, cheap to mod, not refined

pick 1
Old 08-05-11, 10:30 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Why calling the RSX ricer, it was factory deisgn to have the type-R spoiler & kit and they looks good on it. Forget about those pony/german crap. They are not make to have big spoiler, I admit that some does look out of place., depend on the owner. Some people just jealous it looks good on some JDM. Just like I hate those fugly racing strip on pony car. they are ugly and useless....

back to topic, the RSX-S is fun, fast, and just making you want to drive!! I commute on 278 highway daily, whenever someone do a fast pass, I'll be like, F*k it, drop the gear and go!!!! I just don't feel that in my SC430.

Since you getting a coupe anyway, the hatchback RSX was very particle with huge trunk space, gave saver, cheap to maintain, and its just damn fun to drive!!
Old 08-05-11, 05:01 PM
N00bie909
Lead Lap

thanks everyone for posting its been hard thnking about it but i think i have decid

The sc300 is just a better bet for me i dont know how much a k20 engine can handle nor the trannys but i know the 2jz is a great engine especailly when they have a r154 tranny they can hold up to 700hp or so i heard. Im sorry i didnt mean to call rsx-s rice but most of them I seen are. I know the rsx-s is a better starting platform but when the sc300 is done right it can stomp on rsx's all day. I would also be very worried because here in socal hondas/acuras are the top cars being stolen and with everyone and there momma going jdm down here it seems very common.

Grabber2 thanks for posting you helped me out but i see you have an sc430 have you ever driven and sc300 5 speed?
Old 08-05-11, 09:28 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

If hp is your goal, then the sc300 is probably a better bet, but no way you'll hold 700hp on your 2jz-ge without some sort of rebuild. The transmission isn't suited for it either. A done right SC will stomp the RSX in a straight line, but a well done RSX will stomp an SC around the corner. It's just a fantastic little car to toss around.
Old 08-06-11, 02:11 AM
N00bie909
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
If hp is your goal, then the sc300 is probably a better bet, but no way you'll hold 700hp on your 2jz-ge without some sort of rebuild. The transmission isn't suited for it either. A done right SC will stomp the RSX in a straight line, but a well done RSX will stomp an SC around the corner. It's just a fantastic little car to toss around.
I know a good rebuild and port and polish job for the 2jz and well the r154s can hold up good hp also with a good rebuild I'm only looking for around 400-550 rwhp. The rsx will handle better I know but can a k20 engine handle the amount of hp I'm looking for? I guess it's time to join club rsx and find some pros and cons

Quick Reply: rsx-s or sc300 5 speed? need opinions