Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jiffy Lube?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-11, 11:25 PM
koolcat
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jiffy Lube?

wow just saw this, wondering if it this crap still going on:
http://wimp.com/lubeinvestigated/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf6KY...eature=related

I say do your own stuff!
Old 08-07-11, 12:54 AM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

lmao thats why they stand outside holding up signs all day and waving instead of working on cars lol
Old 08-07-11, 03:01 AM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These freakin a-holes probably dont even know as much as we do.
Old 08-07-11, 06:02 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Although franchise operations are usually controlled by the management of the local franchisees, Jiffy Lube seems to support a corporate culture of fraud through encouragement of the sale of unneeded services. I've found some other oil change franchises in my area to offer excellent service without the "salesmanship".

One found the factory had cross-threaded the plug on the front diff of my two year old Suburban. With the use of a big breaker bar they dislodged it and re-tapped the threads - no charge. Another found the source of a serious oily stink from under my Civic - a plastic grocery bag had been picked up and melted onto the exhaust header - something pretty common they told me. They removed as much of it as they could and the stench of burning plastic subsided and eventually disappeared. I still try to avoid plastic bags blowing across the street.

There are competent "oil change technicians" out there who perform over and above the standard grease monkey, just as there are "sandwich artists" who can deliver a good quality meal, I suppose. I don't expect them to be qualified mechanics, or great chefs for that matter - after all, look where they're working. But they're there - when you find one who delivers exceptional service at a fair price, stick with him.
Old 08-07-11, 07:10 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$5000 for a sentra motor eh....
Old 08-07-11, 12:59 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear too many horror stories about those quick lube places. They used to be a cheaper alternative to going to the dealer. But now dealers are competitively priced and often get you in and out.

I'm perfectly capable of changing the oil, but it's too much of a hassle so I just pay the $29.95 at the dealer.

Especially while my car is under warranty I'll take it to the dealer so they can't argue I didn't keep up the maintenance.
Old 08-07-11, 03:10 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Avoid Jiffy Lube and EZ Lube. They will honestly let anyone do the oil changes, and they always seem to try and jip you by up selling "engine oil cleaners" and crap. We used to take my moms super old Minivan there and they would always try and upsell us crap...oil cleaners, additives, etc for like $20 extra each. I feel bad for anyone that actually believes they need this stuff and buys it.
Old 08-07-11, 03:35 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

I think that it would be awesome if the reporter went in on camera and beat the mechanics with a breaker bar.

I only know one mechanic that I trust, and he's my uncle, but he only does it as a sideline out of his garage.