Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Toyota Avalon revealed (pics pg.14)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 02:10 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

I've looked at larger photos of the front end, and don't see any indentations where to drill the holes. My guess is the bracket will have hooks for the lower air dam (similar to the lower portion of the bracket on an HS)
Old 06-25-12, 10:57 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Hybrid

When the redesigned 2013 Avalon debuted at the New York show earlier this year, Toyota wasn’t quite ready to share engine details for the new full-size sedan. However, a new report has revealed that powertrain options will include a carryover V6 in addition to a new-to-the-Avalon hybrid setup.

The optional gas-electric hybrid system will be the essentially the same unit used in the Camry hybrid and the Lexus ES300h, according to Car and Driver. It consists of a 2.5-liter Atkinson cycle 4-cylinder teamed with pair of electric motors that draw electricity from a 244.8-volt nickel-metal hydride battery pack.

Total combined output is 200 horsepower, which is transferred to the front wheels through a CVT. The system is said to be good for up to a mile of electric-only range provided the driver has a light right foot and keeps speeds under 25 mph. The 0-to-60 mph sprint is expected to take 8.2 seconds, while mileage is estimated at 40 mpg in the city and 39 mpg on the highway.

The standard engine will be the familiar 268 horsepower, 248 lb-ft of torque 3.5-liter V6 from the outgoing Avalon. A 6-speed automatic transmission helps achieve a claimed 0-to-60 time of 6.9 seconds.

More expressive styling
Ditching the plain vanilla look of the last-generation Avalon, the 2013 version of the premium 4-door features a much more aggressive front end, highlighted by a large lower grille. The Avalon also gains “square double-eye” headlights for the 2013 model year.

Although the new Avalon is just a bit narrower than its predecessor, flared fenders and 18-inch wheels (17s are standard) give the car a wide stance. The 2013 Avalon is also shorter than the current car, but a sloping roofline makes the car seem longer than it actually is.

Out back the 2013 Avalon gains LED taillights and integrated dual exhaust outlets.

The 2013 Avalon returns with a near-luxury interior, albeit with a greater focus on interior space. Toyota says it lowered the Avalon’s front seats by 0.4 inches, allowing for improved headroom. Toyota even went as far as to redesign the car’s structural components of the sunroof and the headliner to increase cabin space.

And, despite a reduction in overall length, the 2013 Avalon boasts a more spacious trunk than before. Through the clever use of space, the 2013 Avalon now offers 16 cubic feet of trunk space, up 1.6 cubic feet from the previous model.

Improved dynamics

Though still more of a boulevard cruiser than sports sedan, Toyota says it has improved the Avalon’s road manners for the 2013 model year. The 2013 Avalon is stiffer than before, thanks to strategically placed welds, improved body bracing, and the use of high-strength steel. MacPherson struts make the most of the Avalon’s strengthened chassis, while advanced valving and rebound springs make sure that comfort is balanced with a sporting ride. Body roll is kept in check with stiffer front and rear sway bars.

For those wanting an extra dose of performance, the 2013 Avalon comes equipped with a new ‘Sport’ setting. The Avalon’s Sport mode improves throttle response and alters the car’s electronic power steering to deliver a more weighted feel.If performance isn’t your thing, an ‘Eco’ setting is also included, which changes throttle response and A/C power usage to maximize economy.

Toyota has yet to release pricing for the 2013 Avalon, but look for the revised sedan to arrive in showrooms starting in December.
Old 06-25-12, 11:03 AM
LexFather

Hybrid Avalons along with the ES are going to sell like mad....I hope they are ready for the demand for them...The Lincoln MKZ offers a hybrid, Lacrosse offers an "assist' but the Azera, Maxima, and I think anything else doesn't offer a hybrid option or it doesn't get 39/40.

Toyota seems to really be wide awake right now with each new release.....

Old 06-25-12, 12:52 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hybrid Avalons along with the ES are going to sell like mad....I hope they are ready for the demand for them...The Lincoln MKZ offers a hybrid, Lacrosse offers an "assist' but the Azera, Maxima, and I think anything else doesn't offer a hybrid option or it doesn't get 39/40.

I think just a matter of time, every car, or I should say most car sold on the market will be electric hybrid. Like how every car sold have AC and power window now.

Of course like every new feature of cars, it start with the high end models, but eventually the cheapest models will have it.
Old 06-25-12, 01:09 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Like this and many other cars with similar wide mouth lower grills. The Avalon isn't the first.

They'll obviously have clips to mount the the plate to the slats.

hahahahha. I really don't see what people like about the new avalons design.
Old 06-25-12, 02:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I had mentioned on here a while ago the Avalon would get a hybrid and that the ES would get Avalon wheelbase.
Old 06-25-12, 07:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lexmenow
hahahahha. I really don't see what people like about the new avalons design.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I had mentioned on here a while ago the Avalon would get a hybrid and that the ES would get Avalon wheelbase.
Awesome, we mentioned it before you joined

Impressive loss of mass

Old 06-25-12, 07:51 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

^looks great in that pic
Old 06-25-12, 07:52 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

At that angle the Avalon's grill makes the Mazda smiley face look understated!

Yes, the weight loss is impressive.
Old 06-25-12, 08:56 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

"Out back the 2013 Avalon gains LED taillights and integrated dual exhaust outlets."

Uhhh... the 2012 already has these features...
Old 06-26-12, 12:48 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No longer a car for senior citizens anymore. This new generation model is aiming at younger blood this time around

Old 06-26-12, 12:48 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Holy moly......CATFISH CITY...Rednecks Rejoice!!
Old 06-26-12, 04:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

I like new Avalon a lot... feels like completely new Toyota, with different thinking from before.

As to the grille, i think it looks a lot better than Mazda's... but they COULD have used something else, BUT i bet it has to do with making it different than Lexus spindle, which sucks for Toyota owners. Whenever there is Toyota and Lexus version of similar product, Toyota version has to get gimped on purpose some ways.
Old 06-26-12, 09:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Impressive loss of mass
really? it's not as tall, shorter and narrower, and it's 119lbs less. not too impressive.

it looks decent though
Old 06-26-12, 09:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Holy moly......CATFISH CITY...Rednecks Rejoice!!
i think it's looking more... beak like

Quick Reply: 2013 Toyota Avalon revealed (pics pg.14)