Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 hyundai azera

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-11, 10:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I love the interior design of the Elantra and Sonata, much cooler then any Accord/Camry/Civic/Corolla. My co-worker got a new Sonata, I don't feel it being any lesser then a comparable Camry.

I would guess the Azera will be just like the Genesis sedan, the Genesis comparing to the GS, is 20% lesser car for 20% less money. The Azera comparing to the ES350 might probably be the same formula, 20% lesser car for 20% less money. So yes I would think the new Azera will have a slightly less quality interior with slightly cheaper material and drive a bit less smooth then an ES350, but is $5k~$10k cheaper.

That's why I never think any of the new Hyundai offerings as a good deal, they are just offering slightly less for slightly less money. Only the Equus have a little higher value, it is 10~20% lesser car for 20~30% less money compare to the LS460.

That is Hyundai's intent, they said it, they are not trying to compete with Lexus at all, they are offering slightly lesser products for slightly less money. Same approach as Lexus really, Lexus are suppose to be a cheaper alternative to Benz, but it just happen that Lexus have better engineering and actually offer more.
well Azera's interior is just like Sonata's... personally i dont find it luxurious... dont forget Azera has been on sale in Korea for a while now, you can find pics on internet.
Old 08-11-11, 10:49 AM
akbergq
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99-4PbHoCYo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ecgNXk3HVg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU5w4...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GPf_...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rgpS...eature=related

Last edited by akbergq; 08-11-11 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-11-11, 06:21 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BNR34
Like what? In the recent few years, I hear more issues and recalls on Toyota/Lexus then Hyundai. But it is true that all great Hyundai models are pretty much all brand new, not enough times for the issues to surface yet.
Electrical wiring problems in certain Kia models like the Soul, serious rust issues on Hyundais in the 2003-2007 model year range, the pulling to one side problem on new Sonatas, seats on certain new Hyundais being too low and too flat with not enough cushioning, and apparently the new Sonata hybrid has a bunch of issues.

Originally Posted by akbergq
I had a 2009 camry and have a household member that has a 2010 or 2011 sonata. Both vehicles I have driven for about a year (mind you that a 2011 camry and 2009 camry drive the same)

I can actually say that the sonata beats the crap out of the camry in drive alone. It feels better and more rewarding than a floating boater like the camry. The interior is 10x better and the car looks 10x better. As far as reliability, the camry and sonata are about the same. However I have seen more issues recalls and problems with toyota recently than hyundai mind you.
Personal bias aside, quite a few reviews disagree with you. By most accounts, the Camry still has a better ride in terms of smoothness and refinement. When pushing the engine, the Sonata has inferior NVH to the dated 2011 model. The Sonata also performs worse on rough roads in terms of ride comfort. While the Sonata may "feel" sportier on glass smooth roads, that is not a very realistic point of comparison. Sonata also has inferior rear seat room to the Camry.

Toyota has good products but hyundai has come a long way in offering better value from an apples to apples comparison between both brands.
Value in terms of what? Just spec sheets and features? Value is more than just skin deep.

On topic - im no spokesperson for hyundai but after seeing results from products like their new sonata and upcoming azera, i can say that this azera will be an appealing overall package. It is surprising why they would only want to sell 17000 a year in the US. Thats a lowball. It sells like hot pancakes in korea.
Even if you're not, you sure post a lot about Hyundai and really like their products, so one can reasonably assume you're a big Hyundai fan.

In any case, we'll see how the Sonata compares to the NEW 2012 Camry. Just by interior alone, the new 2012 Camry is making the Sonata look outdated.
Old 08-11-11, 06:54 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a 2009 camry and have a household member that has a 2010 or 2011 sonata. Both vehicles I have driven for about a year (mind you that a 2011 camry and 2009 camry drive the same)

I can actually say that the sonata beats the crap out of the camry in drive alone. It feels better and more rewarding than a floating boater like the camry. The interior is 10x better and the car looks 10x better. As far as reliability, the camry and sonata are about the same. However I have seen more issues recalls and problems with toyota recently than hyundai mind you.

Toyota has good products but hyundai has come a long way in offering better value from an apples to apples comparison between both brands.

On topic - im no spokesperson for hyundai but after seeing results from products like their new sonata and upcoming azera, i can say that this azera will be an appealing overall package. It is surprising why they would only want to sell 17000 a year in the US. Thats a lowball. It sells like hot pancakes in korea.
I agreed with everything you said
Old 08-12-11, 05:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The videos show the Azera is a lot of more car for the same cost as a loaded XLE and doesn't look vanilla like the Camry.
I don't know if the US model will have a memory set seat.HIDs?
I like the design and can't wait to see the Azera in person and test drive..
A few years ago I had absolutely no interest in Hyundai but that has changed.Hyundai is movin' on up.

Last edited by Joeb427; 08-12-11 at 05:26 AM.
Old 08-12-11, 06:34 AM
akbergq
Lead Lap

Exactly Joe! Couldnt agree more. N offense TRDFantasy, but the 2012 camry looks like a dull boring floater like the exisitng outgoing model. It looks nothing more than a stretched existing corolla. I dont knwo what mr akiodo was thinking denouncing it to be this great looking car we all hoped.

Even though we are not comparing the camry to the azera, the sonata is notches above the camry imho. Have you even sat inside the sonata and compared its materials and fit/finish against the camry? Iv seen pics of the new 2012 camry and it doesnt hold candle to the sonara.

This new azera on the other hand is quite a looker. N oim not a spokeperson for hyundai. I am a happy owner of a 2011 Audi TT and im considering this new azera, especially fully loaded loaded at 35K its quite a bargain.
Old 08-12-11, 06:38 AM
LexFather

And no offense but my disco days are over and I'm already tired of their fishy/melted soap, overwraught styling that looks great in pics and ONLY with the larger optional wheels and looks pretty bad with base hubcaps, how most are sold. I am weary that all that shiny attention grabbing interior stuff will get old fast.

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-12-11, 06:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Exactly Joe! Couldnt agree more. N offense TRDFantasy, but the 2012 camry looks like a dull boring floater like the exisitng outgoing model. It looks nothing more than a stretched existing corolla. I dont knwo what mr akiodo was thinking denouncing it to be this great looking car we all hoped.

Even though we are not comparing the camry to the azera, the sonata is notches above the camry imho. Have you even sat inside the sonata and compared its materials and fit/finish against the camry? Iv seen pics of the new 2012 camry and it doesnt hold candle to the sonara.

This new azera on the other hand is quite a looker. N oim not a spokeperson for hyundai. I am a happy owner of a 2011 Audi TT and im considering this new azera, especially fully loaded loaded at 35K its quite a bargain.
Can't get excited yet.
Have to see how the car is in person and check out both exterior and interior.
A test ride would be nice too.
I saw the Equus at the NY Car Show and found the interior to be cheapish.A disappointment.
I'm not expecting too much with Azera at $35K loaded but still would want a nice interior quality but that may be a stretch.
In any case,Hyundai has the ***** to take chances on some designs where Toyota stays conservative and manufactures point A to point B appliances.
I own one now.
Old 08-12-11, 09:00 AM
akbergq
Lead Lap

agreed 100% . points well taken.
Old 08-12-11, 11:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

so you sat inside an 2012 Camry? You drove it? You saw it in real life?
Old 08-12-11, 11:20 AM
akbergq
Lead Lap

No i have not. Im not interested in sitting in it either. the pictures leaked tell the story enough and speak a thousand words. Personally i think it is bland looking and ugly.
Old 08-17-11, 10:24 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really hope the new Camry improves a lot of the outgoing model's shortcomings. The material of the interior on my mother's 2007 Camry is really cheap compared to the base Sonata on the market now. Same reason why my gf bought the Tucson over the rav4. For the same price, the interior material felt really cheap with less equipment. The styling of the azera looks like a better put together, well massaged Sonata. Really liking it. Currently, I feel Hyundai interiors are of better quality and better equipped. We'll see if Toyota had done their job with the new Camry. But I would be very seriously looking at the azera if shopping in this segment. The Avalon is not even a blip on my screen.
Old 08-17-11, 10:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
I really hope the new Camry improves a lot of the outgoing model's shortcomings. The material of the interior on my mother's 2007 Camry is really cheap compared to the base Sonata on the market now. Same reason why my gf bought the Tucson over the rav4. For the same price, the interior material felt really cheap with less equipment. The styling of the azera looks like a better put together, well massaged Sonata. Really liking it. Currently, I feel Hyundai interiors are of better quality and better equipped. We'll see if Toyota had done their job with the new Camry. But I would be very seriously looking at the azera if shopping in this segment. The Avalon is not even a blip on my screen.

Unless you are around 60 give or take a year it won't be on your radar.

Agreed, the upcoming Azera does look and sound promising.
Old 08-17-11, 03:33 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Electrical wiring problems in certain Kia models like the Soul, serious rust issues on Hyundais in the 2003-2007 model year range, the pulling to one side problem on new Sonatas, seats on certain new Hyundais being too low and too flat with not enough cushioning, and apparently the new Sonata hybrid has a bunch of issues.

In any case, we'll see how the Sonata compares to the NEW 2012 Camry. Just by interior alone, the new 2012 Camry is making the Sonata look outdated.
You can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs, the problems or issues kia/hyundai are having sound normal, no worse then what is going on with Toyotas, actually Toyota has all those issues, no big deal, sucks for the customer who has to deal with it, and the 2012 Camry looks similar to the Sonata
Old 08-26-11, 12:54 PM
akbergq
Lead Lap

http://worldwide.hyundai.com/e_broch...%20English.pdf
http://worldwide.hyundai.com/showroo...era-focus.html

Quick Reply: 2012 hyundai azera