Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealer refuses to honor Nissan GT-R eBay auction

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-11, 04:31 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ydooby
Without repeating what everyone else has already said, let me just say I'm more curious about the person who decided to trade in a GT-R for a Honda in the first place (not to mention that the trade-in value of the GT-R was probably more than the MSRP of any Honda, fully loaded)!
The dealer probably picked it up at the local car auction for a selling price near $55k. Of course they are probably paying interest on it until it sells.
Old 08-09-11, 04:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Is nothing sweet, R35 GTR depreciate quickly, it depends on the mileage. Edmund's long term test R35 GTR sold for $50k with 30k miles like 8 months ago.

R35 GTR will be a $30k~$40k used car in 2~3 years. Cars like that wears out quickly.
not to mention when you find out how much it is to just do all the scheduled maintenance
Old 08-09-11, 04:46 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been following this story throughout the day. there was a whole entire movement on FB and other car sites reporting the dealer's error and trying to get it fixed, and now motor trend reports that the dealer will honor the price.

http://wot.motortrend.com/gt-r-for-5...on-105645.html

its amazing how fast you can get results when the internet and the community is involved.
Old 08-09-11, 05:01 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Yeah, regarding the trade in. Wth does honda have right now that you would trade a gtr for? Unless previous owner beat the snot out of it.

Even then, I wouldn't even take 2 crossturds for this.

Originally Posted by rominl
i always love to read stuff like this. quite a few similar stories before, i wonder how they have ended
I thought this was a follow up of some old story from the past
Old 08-09-11, 05:33 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

not to mention when you find out how much it is to just do all the scheduled maintenance
That's a big reason why they depreciate quickly.........is like a used Ferrari, they all need $10k~$20k to refresh it.
Old 08-09-11, 05:35 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Yeah, regarding the trade in. Wth does honda have right now that you would trade a gtr for? Unless previous owner beat the snot out of it.

Even then, I wouldn't even take 2 crossturds for this.
If it was a trade in, the previous owner probably went broke and traded it for a sensible car.

It could be hundreds of reasons why someone give up a car........

I have seen used exotic cars at regular dealer before. There was a used F430 at my local Lexus dealer a while back and this was a few years back, way before the LFA even announced for production.
Old 08-09-11, 06:45 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NoAlias
its amazing how fast you can get results when the internet and the community is involved.
i think the lesson here is that it took motor trend getting involved before anything changed. i seriously doubt ebay would have done a g.d. thing (they never have before, why would they start now?). the only motivation sellers have to make things right is the self-policing that the 'sellers ratings' entails
Old 08-09-11, 07:57 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

been following this story throughout the day. there was a whole entire movement on FB and other car sites reporting the dealer's error and trying to get it fixed, and now motor trend reports that the dealer will honor the price.

Yeah, I saw the update as well. Glad he's gettin' his car
Old 08-09-11, 08:44 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the information and internet era. Doing something like what the dealer tried to pull, unannounced, is a thing of the past. People will find out about it, and it will be posted for thousands, maybe even millions of people to see.

In situations like this, I welcome that.
Old 08-09-11, 10:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
That's a big reason why they depreciate quickly.........is like a used Ferrari, they all need $10k~$20k to refresh it.
no kidding. i know of at least 2 personal friends of mine who got the gtr and then couldn't unload the cars fast enough after learning about the cost to drive / maintain it.

i always say, price of the gtr is only the admission ticket to the real ownership
Old 08-09-11, 11:13 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

no kidding. i know of at least 2 personal friends of mine who got the gtr and then couldn't unload the cars fast enough after learning about the cost to drive / maintain it.

i always say, price of the gtr is only the admission ticket to the real ownership
It's always so easy to buy, can't say the same for selling
Old 08-09-11, 11:27 PM
ItsRichie
Pole Position

The dealership decided to honor the sale, they are currently trying to reach the new owner. Here is a story that MotorTrend reported:

Motor Trend forum user Xou Vang, better known as Xoulu, recently won a 2009 Nissan GT-R Premium on eBay Motors for a cool $55,100. Talk about a steal, right? Winning a car on eBay for below list could be considered a dream come true for many people, let alone winning Godzilla incarnate. However, like many so called deals on eBay, Vang’s winning bid on the ’09 GT-R may not be honored by San Marcos Honda in San Marcos, Texas.’

Vang’s story is far from the only time something like this has happened, as car dealers getting in over their heads on the interwebs and on eBay Motors unfortunately isn’t anything new. Perhaps one of the most widely reported cases of a car dealer refusing to honor an eBay auction was back in March of 2008. Dooma350 from M3Post.com won a then-new 2008 BMW M3 Sedan on eBay from BMW of Lincoln for $60,000, $6,296 short of the dealer’s Buy It Now price, and (most importantly), with no reserve. Initially, BMW of Lincoln refused to honor the deal citing it as, “a mistake.”

Unfortunately for BMW of Lincoln and many dealers to follow, eBay auctions are considered legally binding contracts. In eBay’s User Agreement, it states, “While using eBay sites, services and tools, you will not use our sites, services or tools if you are not able to form legally binding contracts.” Based on that part of eBay’s User Agreement BMW of Lincoln would seemingly be forced to eat the cost of its mistake.

However there’s still a bit of ambiguity here. Delve further into eBay’s User Agreement and you find this gem, “For certain categories, particularly Motor vehicles and Real Estate, a bid or offer initiates a non-binding transaction representing a buyer’s serious expression of interest in buying the seller’s item and does not create a formal contract between the buyer and the seller.” Based on that wording, it seems as if eBay’s policy is looking out for buyer’s interests – protecting them from purchasing lemons, rather than protecting sellers who are new to the Internet.

Dooma350’s trouble with BMW of Lincoln eventually resulted in lawyers from both parties getting involved, letters to BMW of North America, and involvement from mainstream media outlets like CNN. Long story short, Dooma350 got his M3, although he was legally prohibited from disclosing more details.

A similar incident happened in January of 2010 with GenCoupe.com member McFly. McFly won a used Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T on eBay from Glenn Hyundai in Tennessee. The winning bid? A tidy $16,125 for a Genesis Coupe with less than 5000 miles on the odometer. Not bad. But then McFly tried to put a deposit on his new Genesis Coupe. Much to his dismay, Glenn Hyundai claimed that the car actually wasn’t up for auction, and that it had a Buy It Now price “of around $19-20,000.” After back and forth bickering (including Glenn Hyundai’s then-Internet Manager calling McFly “a little psycho”), and much attention from car forums and blogs, Hyundai North America stepped in. Although McFly couldn’t disclose the terms of his agreement, he did end up with his Genesis Coupe 2.0T.

In March of 2010, yet another incident occurred with a dealer refusing to honor a winning bid from an auction. ChallengerTalk.com forum member Hitman won a brand new 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 for $29,100 from Glenn E. Thomas Dodge of Signal Hill, California. Much like the men before him, Hitman tried paying for his new Challenger and the dealership refused – even when Hitman showed up in person to try and place his deposit. Rather than risk a public relations nightmare, Glenn E. Thomas Dodge and Hitman started a month-long negotiating process. The two parties were fortunately able to come to an amiable agreement, and Hitman got his brand new Challenger SRT8 for a cool $29,100.

Now we’re brought to the present day. Xou Vang, posted on our forum that he won a 2009 Nissan GT-R Premium with just 36,000 miles on the Odometer for $55,100 from Honda San Marcus’s eBay account (with one feedback). After the No Reserve auction ended Sunday night, Vang emailed the dealership asking how he could make the deposit on the GT-R that he just won. After no response, he went ahead and called Honda San Marcus Monday morning, asking to speak with their Internet sales person. According to a woman named Chelsea, the Internet sales manager, Randy, was refusing to take his call.

An hour later Vang received a call from someone else at the dealership saying that the Internet Sales Manager had made a mistake and is currently out of town, and that the dealership was not going to honor the sale. Vang was directed to a man at the dealership named Ian. Vang said Ian initially offered him the GT-R for $59,000 – a $3,900 markup from Vang’s winning bid, and a $3674 hit from the dealership’s list price on its Web site. Kelley Blue Book value for a 2009 GT-R like the one in the auction is $68,170.

Vang turned down Ian’s offer and pressed on for the price that he won the auction at. After many calls back and forth, Ian, according to Vang, told him,” [That he’s] going too far with this, and will get nowhere,” and that, “In the end [Ian] will laugh at me.” Ian reportedly went further and told Vang that he’s “not going to sell [Vang] the car for the price he won it at…and that is final.”

Vang, who lives in Alaska, has reportedly contacted Honda North America, the Better Business Bureau, and Texas’ Attorney General’s Office. Honda San Marcos responded to Vang’s Better Business Complaint, stating, “Mr. Vang has engaged in slander against Honda of San Marcos and attempted to purposely and unlawfully disrupt the dealership’s ability to operate. As a result of these documented offenses and on advice from counsel Honda San Marcos will not discuss this matter with the BBB.”

We contacted Honda San Marcos but our calls were not returned. We’ll keep you updated as we learn more. In the meantime, head over to the Vang’s thread in our forums.
Old 08-10-11, 12:10 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

wow he lives in alaska. Talk about a good place to use that all wheel drive haha
Old 08-10-11, 07:29 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 721 Likes on 496 Posts

So I guess the lesson is if the dealer is trying to rip you off on an auction, let them know that you will use the power of the internet to clog their lines for a few days and you should be able to get what you want
Old 08-10-11, 08:02 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Ready about this news yesterday - bad business practices - dumb managers...

I also know the OWNER of the BWM of Lincoln, the one who once refused to honor the ebay deal of an 2008 M3. He has CHANGED since then, real polite and nice now. He may have learned his lesson since he is still young (40-42ish).

Quick Reply: Dealer refuses to honor Nissan GT-R eBay auction