Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealer refuses to honor Nissan GT-R eBay auction

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-11, 08:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

at least the dealer decided to do the right thing
Old 08-10-11, 08:51 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
no kidding. i know of at least 2 personal friends of mine who got the gtr and then couldn't unload the cars fast enough after learning about the cost to drive / maintain it.

i always say, price of the gtr is only the admission ticket to the real ownership
Yes very true

For a normal guy that only goes to the dealer for everything, the price of maintenance and repair is insane on the R35 GTR.

For a real car guy that does everything himself or go to a speed shop though, prices are the same as every other high performance cars. Brakes for example, OEM quality aftermarket parts are at least half of dealer pricing. That's what I was telling you about, if you do all the research, know the car inside and out, maintaining any car can be reasonable.
Old 08-10-11, 09:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Yes very true

For a normal guy that only goes to the dealer for everything, the price of maintenance and repair is insane on the R35 GTR.

For a real car guy that does everything himself or go to a speed shop though, prices are the same as every other high performance cars. Brakes for example, OEM quality aftermarket parts are at least half of dealer pricing. That's what I was telling you about, if you do all the research, know the car inside and out, maintaining any car can be reasonable.
except in reality "OEM quality replacement" parts dont exist in real world.

Even the OEMs when they produce replacement parts they make sure they label them so. There is big difference between original parts and replacement parts, even from same manufacturer.
Old 08-10-11, 09:18 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

It's good to hear that the dealer honored the price.
Old 08-10-11, 09:29 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

power of the internet ftw
Old 08-10-11, 09:33 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

No dealer should ever risk their reputation () for a few grand. They did the right thing by honoring the price. They'll have other opportunities to make up for the loss.
Old 08-10-11, 10:17 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
except in reality "OEM quality replacement" parts dont exist in real world.

Even the OEMs when they produce replacement parts they make sure they label them so. There is big difference between original parts and replacement parts, even from same manufacturer.
That depends on how much aftermarket support the particular car has.

Yes that is very true for normal cars. Like for all normal Lexus, for my LS430/SC430 for example, there are no aftermarket parts exist that even match the quality of the OEM parts. Hell there isn't even a single aftermarket option for shocks on my LS430, KYB does is just because they make the OEM shock, it is the same shock.

But for ultra high performance cars like the GTR, EVO, STi, 911 Turbo, M3.....pretty much all cars that all their owners modify like crazy, that have HUGE aftermarket support............there are ultra highend aftermarket parts exist that equal or even exceed the quality of the OEM parts the car came with. On the R35 GTR, on the brake rotor for example, all highest brand name company offer racing quality replacement rotors for it, AP Racing, Brembos.....etc. You can buy a set of Carbon Ceramic brakes from AP Racing that is the same price as the steel OEM brakes And all equal or higher quality steel rotors from the aftermarket is half the cost of dealer's parts.

I have been in both worlds, so I know I had GTR and STi before, now I got LS430 and SC430.

Last edited by BNR34; 08-10-11 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-10-11, 03:38 PM
Rolotomasu
Rookie

Not the first time that this has happened, and it will not be the last. Glad it worked out in the end but it's not worth the time and trouble (principle, yes!).
Old 08-10-11, 08:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

no kidding. i know of at least 2 personal friends of mine who got the gtr and then couldn't unload the cars fast enough after learning about the cost to drive / maintain it.

i always say, price of the gtr is only the admission ticket to the real ownership
This is one of the reasons I didn't get one. When I read that the brake jobs are like 5k I was thinking that as much as I love the car I will not drop cash like that for a set of brakes. In the end I did the right thing and reinvested the money for the GTR into my business and I am reaping the benefits as opposed to having a high maintenance car that is losing value. It was a tough decision to make but I did the right thing. My wife was amazed because she knew I had been saving for almost 2 years to buy the GTR cash.
Old 08-10-11, 08:46 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

5000 for brakes was an entire brake job on the car back in 08/09 at the dealer new, now the dealer charges roughly 2000, give or take, and currently you can buy all the parts and do a complete brake job for 500-1000 depending on who you buy from.

GTR come with BBK, they are not cheap
Old 08-10-11, 09:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
5000 for brakes was an entire brake job on the car back in 08/09 at the dealer new, now the dealer charges roughly 2000, give or take, and currently you can buy all the parts and do a complete brake job for 500-1000 depending on who you buy from.

GTR come with BBK, they are not cheap
i never recall that expensive to service any of my bbk
Old 08-10-11, 09:28 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

i never recall that expensive to service any of my bbk
what bbk kits the ones that come with free replacement parts for 50k
Old 08-10-11, 11:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
what bbk kits the ones that come with free replacement parts for 50k
m3 brakes are what you called bbk? they are known to be weak. i have had ap racing on my gs400, brembo on my ls460l, project u on my gs350, stoptech on my sc430. not cheap to maintain but at the same time i don't recall 2 grands.

and i wonder why it started out with 5k and now 2k. they figured 3k extra margin is a ripoff?
Old 10-22-11, 03:22 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,238 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
As a previous ebay seller, this dealer definitely played the scam, dishonest, unethical practice. You don't put it on auction if you are not intended to let it go at what ever the final bid. If dealer forgot to include a reserve price, its their mistake and they are responsible for it. If dealer sell a car well over the MSRP to a buyer, do you think the dealer would refund some $$ if the buyer comes back and say "I over paid for this car!!"

I went to car auction and most of them have a reserve price which is understandable. In this case, the buyer can totally file a law suit against the dealer and have the judge decide it. Bidding on ebay is bound by ebay policy and its like a contract. The seller can suit unpaid bidder as well as the opposite.

Imagine if youself bid & won and can afford it.
^^ This. I'm surprised at the number of dealers that don't know how to use ebay and inexplicably think that once they agree to the system terms of service that they can still play by the rules they make in their own offices. You stupidly listed a Nissan GTR without the reserve price you felt you were entitled to?

EDIT: I just caught that all the backlash from the BBB, eBay and especially the net forced them to honor their legally binding auction price. Good show. I'd hope for the buyer's sake that they didn't damage it in any way out of spite.

Dealers need to understand how to use eBay correctly so that they can avoid situations like these. At the same time, if they set ridiculous reserves and conditions they'll have just as many people bidding on the car as they would over the phone.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-22-11 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-24-11, 06:24 AM
1JZsoarer
Driver

You gus are lucky that you live in the US. Because stories with unfaithful dealerships happen quite a lot over here. Even myself I was lied to by a dealership but since I can't go to any media (I tried, yet they won't cover my story) I am quite ***********. Only thing I can do is pay the thing myself.

Quick Reply: Dealer refuses to honor Nissan GT-R eBay auction