Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New 2012 BMW 3-series F30 sedan uncovered

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 11:50 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Boring, bland and will sell like hotcakes. People love Corollas, they love 3 series.
During times of economic hardship, most businesses don't want to do anything dramatic to maintain their loyal customers.

If you compare it to America's best sellers (see the new Camry, the new Civic, etc), BMW is playing it safe by keeping the 3-Series' styling progressive, not revolutionary.
Old 08-15-11, 12:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

can't tell a whole lot from that aerial view. but i d see what looks like a heads-up-display unit in front of the steering wheel.
Old 08-15-11, 12:18 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boring, bland and will sell like hotcakes. People love Corollas, they love 3 series.
Exactly. +1
Old 08-15-11, 02:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
During times of economic hardship, most businesses don't want to do anything dramatic to maintain their loyal customers.

If you compare it to America's best sellers (see the new Camry, the new Civic, etc), BMW is playing it safe by keeping the 3-Series' styling progressive, not revolutionary.
basically they are doing the same thing as Toyota is, and selling great.
Old 08-15-11, 04:22 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly, Personally I think the current 3 especially in sedan form is quite bland. Good looking but nothing to write home about aesthetically. However they are an easy sale for BMW as they meet their customers needs and desires. Keep it safe and offer what the roundel stands for.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Which is always a smart business model in any economic climate, particularly this one.

Originally Posted by rominl
btw, so is this going to be based on the 7 platform too?
May not be a bad thing, The tailights and sheetmetal on the current 7 look rather smart. Mind you I was a fan of the Bangle era 7 and all it's quirkiness. Slowly these more sedate stylings of the current 5 and 7 are growing on me. But then again I'm one of the rare folk who loves the 5GT. Yeah I said it! Just figured I'd put it out there.

Originally Posted by spwolf
basically they are doing the same thing as Toyota is, and selling great.
Vanilla is still vanilla, no matter how many sprinkles you put on it.

Last edited by LexLaw; 08-15-11 at 04:24 PM. Reason: wrong quote
Old 08-15-11, 07:15 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2014 M3 packs a Turbo Straight Six!!!

From Car and Driver:
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/spi...os-future_cars

OMG!!! BMW has seriously been paying attention!! They finally listened to the enthusiast and not only went back to the straight-six, but they're also turbocharging it!!!

I am sorry to say, that if this car is really going to make production, i mean with a M-tuned straight-six turbo engine, you can bet this will not only be the next craze, but it will blow the IS-F out of the water!

I've said it before, and now its true....i knew BMW would eventually turbo the M3!

If the next IS-F does not have a six-cylinder turbo (which im pretty sure it won't), then I'm getting the M3.
Old 08-15-11, 07:42 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

MelF1fan mentioned it. more than likely they are just using the body but testing m3 internals
I wonder why BMW only offer M3 sedan every other generation?

E30, no. E36, yes. E46, no. E90, yes. F30, no again? There must be a theory behind it. Maybe not enough buyer so they always skip a generation?
Old 08-15-11, 07:46 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
I bet it doesn't have the tri turbo 6.
Same here, I bet you it will just be an evolution of today's twin turbo Inline-6 cranked to 24 psi to make 450 hp

No fancy odd ball tri turbo

Before the R35 GTR came out, all kinds of rumors saying electric assisted turbos, this and that..........to this day, is still just an old fashion twin turbo, the turbos are not even ball bearing, no direct injection, no variable valve timing on the exhaust side..........nothing new at all.

The F30 M3 needs nothing fancy to make it's target's hp of around 450 hp.
Old 08-15-11, 11:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I wonder why BMW only offer M3 sedan every other generation?

E30, no. E36, yes. E46, no. E90, yes. F30, no again? There must be a theory behind it. Maybe not enough buyer so they always skip a generation?
see, they keep you guessing, goal achieved
Old 08-15-11, 11:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Same here, I bet you it will just be an evolution of today's twin turbo Inline-6 cranked to 24 psi to make 450 hp

Before the R35 GTR came out, all kinds of rumors saying electric assisted turbos, this and that..........to this day, is still just an old fashion twin turbo, the turbos are not even ball bearing, no direct injection, no variable valve timing on the exhaust side..........nothing new at all.

make it four, screw veyron
Old 08-16-11, 03:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
From Car and Driver:
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/spi...os-future_cars

OMG!!! BMW has seriously been paying attention!! They finally listened to the enthusiast and not only went back to the straight-six, but they're also turbocharging it!!!

I am sorry to say, that if this car is really going to make production, i mean with a M-tuned straight-six turbo engine, you can bet this will not only be the next craze, but it will blow the IS-F out of the water!

I've said it before, and now its true....i knew BMW would eventually turbo the M3!

If the next IS-F does not have a six-cylinder turbo (which im pretty sure it won't), then I'm getting the M3.
funny... if IS-F was V6, reactions would be opposite.
Old 08-16-11, 08:50 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

see, they keep you guessing, goal achieved
Is a conspiracy theory, I am telling you

make it four, screw veyron
Veyron are already being screwed by modded R35 GTR left and right

I am waiting for someone to mod a Veyron, come on all you big ballers, step up the game! I want to see a 2400 hp modded Veyron running 7.9 1/4 silently....lol. 1500 hp R35 is running 8.9 today, 2400 hp should run 7.9

Last edited by BNR34; 08-16-11 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-16-11, 08:59 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Yeah that's just overkill. At first I didnt like this idea of a boosted I6 in a M3 but once tuners like JB tuning gets their hands on one, I wouldn't be surprised if they tune it to like 6xxhp. What if its a single turbo N55 with raised boost?
Old 08-16-11, 09:14 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Yeah that's just overkill. At first I didnt like this idea of a boosted I6 in a M3 but once tuners like JB tuning gets their hands on one, I wouldn't be surprised if they tune it to like 6xxhp. What if its a single turbo N55 with raised boost?
Turbo vs. NA serve 2 totally different purposes for different cars. For me NA is more suitable for the M3.

The F30 M3 must have more then 1 turbo, pushing 450 hp with one giant turbo will have too much lag, only silly aftermarket tuner does that. As you can see all higher output BMW today is still rocking the N54 twin turbo..........335is, 740i, 1M, Z4 sDrive35i......etc.

Look around, the highest power single turbo production car only got 300 hp.
Old 08-16-11, 09:31 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Turbo vs. NA serve 2 totally different purposes for different cars. For me NA is more suitable for the M3.

The F30 M3 must have more then 1 turbo, pushing 450 hp with one giant turbo will have too much lag, only silly aftermarket tuner does that. As you can see all higher output BMW today is still rocking the N54 twin turbo..........335is, 740i, 1M, Z4 sDrive35i......etc.

Look around, the highest power single turbo production car only got 300 hp.
Yeah I didn't think of lag, so if its not a N55, it can't be a N54 so they're probably going to introduce another motor.

Quick Reply: New 2012 BMW 3-series F30 sedan uncovered