Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford discloses more details on Lincoln's transformation

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-11, 09:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Ford discloses more details on Lincoln's transformation

Ford discloses more details on Lincoln's transformation

The Ford Motor Company is finally marshaling the resources and money to transform Lincoln into a true luxury brand again. While the company is guarded in discussing the full details of its plan, it's divulging enough for now to let the world know that this is going to be a serious effort. And the early signs are encouraging.

The linchpin to this turnaround will be daring new products and significantly upgraded dealerships. And the key to accomplishing that is a new organizational structure for Lincoln. Up through the 1950s, Lincoln was a stand-alone "house" with its own headquarters, designers, engineers and assembly. The new organization will not recreate that original "house" concept, but it's a big step in the right direction.

Lincoln says it will not abandon its traditional customers, but it must attract a new generation of buyers, people with a different psychographic mindset than those who have been buying Town Cars for the last quarter century. Yet, while it may not abandon those buyers, saying they'll suffer from benign neglect may not be too far off the mark.

Of course, other luxury brands are not sitting still, and new entrants like the Hyundai Equus are getting into the game. Everyday that goes by only makes Lincoln's comeback all the more difficult. Even so, the Ford Motor Company has formidable resources and here's how it plans to put them to work.

As already reported by Autoblog, Lincoln is getting its own design studio within Ford's Product Development Center in Dearborn, Michigan. It's also getting its own dedicated design staff, headed up by Max Wolff, who was head-hunted away from Cadillac where he ran exterior design. Wolff joins a growing cadre of Lincoln executives who bring extensive overseas experience to their new assignment. This crucial development can not be over emphasized, especially the "international experience" part of it.

In recent times Ford has used a matrix organization to run Lincoln. Designers, engineers and managers would be brought in on an as-needed basis, then would transition back into the Blue Oval mothership to work on other products and projects. No one was truly in charge of Lincoln and the lack of leadership and accountability easily explains the brand's malaise. Now the brand will be run by a core team of executives whose careers will be inextricably linked to Lincoln's success - or lack thereof.

Lincoln will continue to build its products off corporate platforms, but we're going to see significant differentiation from Ford-branded vehicles. The real sin in platform sharing typically comes from financially-focused management that tries to take cost savings too far. They'll force program managers to use common body side apertures, common doors, and common greenhouse structures, even on cars sold under different brand names. So even if the headlamps, tail lights and ornamentation are different, the silhouettes look the same and that low-cost "differentiation" fails to fool discerning customers. Ford says it's now willing to spend real money on hard tooling that will provide noticeably different exteriors with unique sheetmetal and greenhouses. I've seen the new MKZ and the change is stunning to behold.

Inside, Lincolns will use push-button transmissions across the line-up, eliminating the gear shift lever on the console. That gives designers more freedom to change the console and instrument panel to separate them from Fords, which will continue to use gearshift levers. Under the hood, Lincolns will have unique powertrain variants from their Ford counterparts, though in some cases that variation may only be a few more gears in the transmission.

Just as Ford has done, Lincoln will focus far more on fuel economy than it has in the past. The 2.0 liter Eco-boost engine will find its way into some surprising applications and you can expect startling improvements in fuel economy. Market research shows that automakers with superior fuel economy also benefit from improved public perceptions on quality and brand image.

The company is also in the process of slashing the number of dealers it has in the U.S. It's already cut hundreds of them and over one hundred more will get the heave-ho. The goal is to pare the list down to 325 dealers, about the same number that Mercedes-Benz has in the U.S. Then, Lincoln wants them to invest in new facilities, following an inviting design theme that it has selected. The new dealerships will look a lot like the inside of an upscale boutique hotel, replete with amenities like reading rooms and coffee bars that cater to an upscale clientele.

Lincoln is also boring in on a sub-set of luxury buyers, a cohort it describes as progressive, open-minded and willing to consider new brands. These buyers are somewhat younger, somewhat wealthier and found more on the coasts than Lincoln's current customers. They represent about 25% of all luxury buyers and are the fastest growing cohort in the segment. Since Lincoln currently captures about 8% of all luxury-brand buyers, they potentially represent a much bigger customer base.

The plan is to transform Lincoln into a true luxury brand, one that can legitimately go toe-to-toe with Mercedes, BMW and Lexus. Then, if they achieve that, the idea is to expand into markets outside of the U.S.

The plan sounds solid and the first steps look good, but I wonder whether the Ford Motor Company has the stick-to-it-ness to see this come to fruition. Lincoln's turn-around will not come overnight, and American corporations are not admired for their long-term patience. No, not even Ford. Even so, the company has a legitimate shot at reviving a brand that can trace its heritage back to the earliest days of the industry. Now let's see if they can do it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/11/f...ransformation/
Old 08-12-11, 06:28 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right direction but im not sure how it'll work. IMO Lincoln reached its peak in the past and most of its customers have moved on to other brands. But hey while we're at it, revive the mark VIII!
Old 08-12-11, 09:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Lincoln says it will not abandon its traditional customers.
That's a bunch of nonsense. By dropping the Town Car, Mark-series coupe, and the Continental, that's EXACTLY what they have done......deliberately cast-off their traditional customers. And Lincoln is not alone....by dropping the DeVille/DTS and Lucerne, Buick and Cadillac have done exactly the same thing.

Yet, while it may not abandon those buyers, saying they'll suffer from benign neglect may not be too far off the mark.
Yep....that's an understatement.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-12-11 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-12-11, 10:37 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I've always liked my uncle's Lincoln's. He had an 86 Town Car that we drove across the country in and it was pretty comfortable. He replaced that with a 97 Continental which we drove to Mexico in, enjoyed that trip. He bought a 98 Mark VIII that was pretty nice too, but I didn't like the coupe much.
Old 08-12-11, 02:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Moderator note: I have removed all the hypothetical posts about whether what reaction we'd have if this were about Acura, or whether it's in the right forum.

Please focus on the thread subject. Thank you.
Old 08-12-11, 02:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think its a great idea. I wonder if it will work in reality. Lexus has slipped a bit and will be sending some buyers to different brands. Because many of those previous Lexus buyers were previous BMW and Mercedes customers this may get some to say why not and try the Lincoln. I am not one of those buyers but I am sure they are out there
Old 08-30-11, 08:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Lincoln planning seven new/improved models, includes Navigator EcoBoost

Lincoln planning seven new/improved models, includes Navigator EcoBoost

The Lincoln lineup is in desperate need of a design intervention, and Automotive News reports that help is on the way. Ford product development boss Derrick Kuzak reportedly told dealers that Lincoln will receive seven new or refreshed models by 2014, including a little love for the long-ignored Lincoln Navigator.

The Navigator will reportedly receive the twin-turbo 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine option for the 2012 model year, giving large luxury SUV buyers a more fuel efficient option. The Navigator could also receive some design tweaks, but we're not expecting anything close to a full redesign.

The Lincoln sedan lineup will also get some attention, with the MKS and MKZ receiving substantial updates for the 2013 model year. The MKZ will reportedly be completely remade, with all-new sheetmetal that should look very little like its Ford Fusion counterpart. The MKS will also distance itself from its more pedestrian platform-sharing Ford Taurus, with a sleeker design and more premium materials.

Lincoln may also diversify their crossover offerings, including a new compact 'ute based off the Ford Focus platform that should arrive during the 2013 model year. The MKX, which was just re-penned for 2011, is also scheduled to receive an all-new platform based off Ford's global mid-size architecture for 2014. The MKT could receive a minor refresh for 2013, but then again Ford could wind up ditching the big crossover altogether or relegate sales of the model to livery and fleet customers.

A key component to future Lincoln redesigns will be minimizing any connection between the luxury make and any Ford siblings. Changes could include far more differentiated sheetmetal, different wheelbases and unique powertrains.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/30/l...s-navigator-e/
Old 08-30-11, 09:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't usually take liberties in speaking for others (especially in auto-opinions). But I think that, in this case, I probably speak for a number of people by suggesting that the smiley buck-tooth grilles should be one of the first things in the Lincoln line-up to go.

Old 09-02-11, 09:07 PM
LexFather

Lincoln plans to wash cars and shine dealer floors?? Its the PRODUCT STUPID.

Fix the product, they will come. If Ford can turn it around I'm sure they can figure out what to do with Lincoln.

Old 09-28-11, 10:33 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Grille

Love it or hate it, Lincoln's waterfall grille is on the way out, according to sources familiar with plans for the updated MKS sedan and MKT crossover coming next spring.

One source said the MKS and MKT grille will be "completely different" from the current grille, which has been controversial. He said the new grille is "not as pronounced" as the waterfall and "more elegant."

Ford might show the revised MKS and MKT at the Los Angeles auto show in November, says a Ford source.

The MKS and MKT get minor interior and exterior updates. But the biggest change will be in ride and handling as Ford aims to differentiate Lincoln from the Ford division, sources say. The MKS and MKT will get new steering, braking and suspension systems, the sources say.

"Lincoln's goal is to become world class," says Christian Bokich, a Lincoln spokesman. "So we know our current products will continue to evolve."
Old 09-28-11, 12:43 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

THANK YOU FORD! Cannot wait to see those grills go. The MKX may interest me at that point...
Old 09-28-11, 01:44 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

If Ford can fix Ford they can fix Lincoln. Ford imho has done a tremendous job in fixing its image and its cars in the U.S. The new Fusion, Focus, and Fiesta are prime examples. They are segment in leaders in quality, design, value and efficiency. The new mustang has abandoned the push rod V8 and now has a state of the art dohc V8 which is a first for American sports car's. Ford has the best domestic hybrid system and in someways better than Toyota's.Ford is now pioneering in small turbo 4 cylinders to replace its old V6's and its also pioneering in turbo V6's to replace its V8's. The Ecoboost F150 is out selling the V8!! They are doing something right.

Now what ford doesn't have is a RWD sedan, it's going to be tough to enter the luxury field without have a sporty RWD sedan. It's fine if they have nice FWD luxury car's but people like sporty RWD drive sedan's (E, 5, GS, XF and even the 300. Bring on the interceptor!
Old 09-28-11, 03:03 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Bad co is right, a RWD sports sedan is the one thing Ford lacks. I would like to see them introduce one to be a direct competitor to the Charger/300. It's cost ineffective, but it would be neat to have a Ford version and a Lincoln version on the same platform, but with enough differences to not be a carbon copy.

It could be optioned with either the Ecoboost v6 or a 5.0L v8. I think it would sell fairly well, a decent replacement for the Crown Victoria.
Old 09-28-11, 03:15 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Right now the Lincoln brand is nothing more than rebadged Fords with sugar frosting and bad stigma attached to Lincoln brand.
Old 09-28-11, 04:08 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Bad co is right, a RWD sports sedan is the one thing Ford lacks. I would like to see them introduce one to be a direct competitor to the Charger/300. It's cost ineffective, but it would be neat to have a Ford version and a Lincoln version on the same platform, but with enough differences to not be a carbon copy.

It could be optioned with either the Ecoboost v6 or a 5.0L v8. I think it would sell fairly well, a decent replacement for the Crown Victoria.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Interceptor

THIS

Quick Reply: Ford discloses more details on Lincoln's transformation