Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus it is time! Can we please get a car that man, woman and child all lust after?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-11, 11:16 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

What luxury maker is rushing to get hybrids???
BMW - NO
MB - NO (has 1 i think)
Audi - NO
Cadillac - NO
Porsche - has a few
BMW recently unveiled their "i" concept cars.

Future S-class will be hybrid only in NA.

Audi is bringing over the A6 hybrid (probably won't be as powerful, fuel efficient and reliable as the GSh)

Cadillac has green lighted the Converj (beautiful car), based on the Volt.

There will be hybrids in the future of every major luxury brand, but many are behind Lexus.
Old 08-16-11, 11:38 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Man RNM reading your posts, your points are all over the place.
Old 08-17-11, 12:52 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
1SICKLEX
Look I like Jaguar but NO ONE considers them Tier 1. They DO NOT have a complete lineup they are not seen as something to Aim for or surpass and they haven't made A DIME in 30-40 years.

You are taking your personal bias and trying to pawn it off as fact. You can been entitled to your opinion but it is not fact.

I dont have a bias. I have owned Lexus cars and never had a Jag!

Simply GOOGLE the results, Lexus has placed in the top 3 the last few years in that survey which completely DISPROVES your theory.

Performance is sub-par? How exactly. They seem on par or better than many. Sure they have gaps but not as glaring as others.

Lets see: Poor handling, steering, stability at high speeds.....No coupes, 1 F model.

Show me the BMW to match the LFA? Alrighty then.

Bro who cares about the LFA. Its a great car, but its not close to being the best at anything. Are you honestly saying that BMW cant build a supercar??? LOL Where the F>CK was Lexus when BMW had the M1, Z8, 8 Series. The whole //M division is something Lexus would die to have.

You are wrong about the CT, it is selling like MAD everywhere globally. Please do some research.

Reread my post. I like the CT and i KNOW its selling. My point was its a success bec of its styling and exciting colors not bec its a HYBRID!

Lexus only makes the most technologically advanced cars in hybrids. Not sure how that is tech falling behind others when EVERYONE is trying to make their own Lexus hybrid.

Unfortunately for Lexus nobody cares about their hybrids. NOBODY. The only hybrid that has been a sales success is the Toyota Prius.
BTW my family owned a RX400h, so im fairly familiar with their tech.
Most people want a car from a prestige brand, but they don't want to pay too much on gas want a small hybrid like CT.

MB make 4 cylinder S-class in China because they know the car will sell because people don't want to pay too much on gas.
Old 08-17-11, 03:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLaw
I've never knocked on them, so I was referring to their visual appearance. Not so much that it was genuine Aluminum inserts but to me they looked good. What did you think of the wood inserts and soft touch plastics? I'm a member on that forum as well, in addition to QuattroWorld and never really noticed complaining of burning buttons or trim issues. The Land Rover forums certainly but for Audis, I never caught that. I appreciate you bringing that to my attention, as I am a fan of their products, particularly their interiors.
they looked incredibly cheap to me, coming from GS... audi has great lighting in the interior, but actual quality of materials is sub par. Didnt ride in one with wood (most in europe have silver plastics), as to the soft touch plastics, in the back there is nothing soft touch, even front doors had hard plastics.

I didnt ride in next A6, but from the pics, it also some matte black plastics around the instruments that dont look the part.

I dont frequent Audi forums, i noticed interior issues like peeling since a lot of my friends drive Audi's, it is very popular brand here, especially used ones.
Old 08-17-11, 07:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I drool everytime I see an XK, especially XK-R....
By all means, drive one if you get a chance. I got a chance to sample an XKR convertible (106K) last December, before my surgery, for the annual Holiday Review. That car is a trip.....driving it was like dating a supermodel.
Old 08-17-11, 09:41 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Wouldn't that be great? Let's start with a mere 700hp and 35 MPG City and 55 Highway.
are there any vehicles out there that can do this?

As for me desiring a perfect Lexus, I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion based upon me asking for a sexy sedan with an edgier outward appearance? Am I too radical in wanting something offered by everyone else in their immediate realm. Does that mean that I don't like Lexus or appreciate them for what they are?
I hope you're not reading my posts the wrong way as being sarcastic or anything. I didn't make or come to any conclusions.

I was just merely asking what you objectively want.

It's hard to please every buyers out there.
Take me for example. Everybody is loving the new CLS, sexy this, sexy that.
I don't see it sexy at all, not a big deal.

Why don't you start a thread tonight about how ungrateful Lexus owners can be by desiring more from the brand that they love?
This is why I currently don't own any Lexus.
This is why I am waiting to get back into a 5 LS as I said earlier or waiting to see what the new GS is about.
Old 08-17-11, 10:21 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
are there any vehicles out there that can do this?

I hope you're not reading my posts the wrong way as being sarcastic or anything. I didn't make or come to any conclusions.

I was just merely asking what you objectively want.

It's hard to please every buyers out there.
Take me for example. Everybody is loving the new CLS, sexy this, sexy that.
I don't see it sexy at all, not a big deal.

This is why I currently don't own any Lexus.
This is why I am waiting to get back into a 5 LS as I said earlier or waiting to see what the new GS is about.
Based upon your previous reply in which you stated "I think we should all start our own thread on "what is your perfect lexus"?

Since you're the OP, why don't you start with body style (sedan in your case), hp, price...and what will make it lustful?

This will be like the focus group only that lexus will be listening and will cater to all your improvements
" I did take your comments as sarcasm and that's why I responded to your questions as I did. I read your reply several times prior to responding, as I do any reply and didn't get that you were serious in tone. Perhaps it was because I also had a previous person question the merit of my post or that my question was flawed. That said, I do apologize in taking your line of questioning as sarcasm. In life and on this forum I try to give people the benefit of the doubt but in this particular instance I failed, and again I'm sorry.

I feel that I explained my desires from Lexus in the initial question and subsequent replies. Though I never stated an hp number, as performance isn't really of concern in regards to this question, I did state what the physical attributes of the car should have. I was merely asking for a car that "turns heads and gets blood pumping", or at least elicits discussion and desire in the manner of the Panamera, CLS, A7 and the likes do. I don't want a perfect car from Lexus or any other manufacturer. I just would like Lexus, a brand that I love to make a niche car that people see outside of the LFA. Something that you see pull up at a gas station on a regular basis, that is accessible and can be afforded by most of us here in this forum. Mass produced beauty wrapped in sexy sheet metal. 80 replies and 1700 looks, apparently 1 or 2 people out there agrees with me.
Old 08-17-11, 10:40 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I did take your comments as sarcasm and that's why I responded to your questions as I did. I read your reply several times prior to responding, as I do any reply and didn't get that you were serious in tone. Perhaps it was because I also had a previous person question the merit of my post or that my question was flawed. That said, I do apologize in taking your line of questioning as sarcasm. In life and on this forum I try to give people the benefit of the doubt but in this particular instance I failed, and again I'm sorry.

I feel that I explained my desires from Lexus in the initial question and subsequent replies. Though I never stated an hp number, as performance isn't really of concern in regards to this question, I did state what the physical attributes of the car should have. I was merely asking for a car that "turns heads and gets blood pumping", or at least elicits discussion and desire in the manner of the Panamera, CLS, A7 and the likes do. I don't want a perfect car from Lexus or any other manufacturer. I just would like Lexus, a brand that I love to make a niche car that people see outside of the LFA. Something that you see pull up at a gas station on a regular basis, that is accessible and can be afforded by most of us here in this forum. Mass produced beauty wrapped in sexy sheet metal. 80 replies and 1700 looks, apparently 1 or 2 people out there agrees with me.
OK, I'm happy to hear we're on the same page

This is why design-wise, it's hard to please everyone.

Sorry, A7 has that hideous, saggy behind
Panamera-beautiful face, ugly butt, but nothing cosmetic surgery can't fix on that one

And this why I asked if you were to have a perfect lexus, what would you want out of it?

Of course, my perfect lexus would be the LFA, maybe with 2 extra seats in the back (blasphemy), don't need the CF body, priced around $150.........wishful thinking.

Or an LSF/LSF coupe, but we won't see that for awhile (if ever).

I'm a lexus loyalist also, but their design has been on the soft side.
I understand what you're saying regarding lexus. Similar to the 4GS post, this isn't the '98 era of the 2nd GS anymore. Man, my heart was pumping when they debut that
Old 08-17-11, 02:18 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

OK, I'm happy to hear we're on the same page
No doubt my brotha!

Sorry, A7 has that hideous, saggy behind
Panamera-beautiful face, ugly butt, but nothing cosmetic surgery can't fix on that one

And this why I asked if you were to have a perfect lexus, what would you want out of it?

Of course, my perfect lexus would be the LFA, maybe with 2 extra seats in the back (blasphemy), don't need the CF body, priced around $150.........wishful thinking.

Or an LSF/LSF coupe, but we won't see that for awhile (if ever).

I'm a lexus loyalist also, but their design has been on the soft side.
I understand what you're saying regarding lexus. Similar to the 4GS post, this isn't the '98 era of the 2nd GS anymore. Man, my heart was pumping when they debut that
I totally agree that the Panamera's rear was horribly executed but it's so Porsche. Hate it or love it they kept in line with their design theme. It's an ugly azzzzz car yet I find it so sexy. And it totally looks better in person, especially in Black and on the front approach. I think Audi's A7 has a much better rear end, though still a bit funky, but hey it's a 5 door hatch.

I like the much slept on 5 series Gran Turismo. Mind you I hated that car on paper and in photos. But once I test drove it last month I fell in love. Its interior is immaculate. The exterior is much like the X6, some love, some hate. I just think that the X6 greenhouse is beter than the funny bubble that the 5GT has from a side view. The front end is so 7, which it shares the platform with. The rear is hated by many yet I like it. However it can look Sam Cassell ugly in light hues. And BMW has plans for a 6 series and 3 series version in the very near future.

Performance aside, I'd like to see a dare I say coupe like big sedan. Whether it's based of the LS or GS I don't care. I guess GS would make it more affordable for me and many others. I'd love sleekly integrated door handles, a sweot back roof much like the current GS, which Jag copied and improved upon so well. Panoramic roof option is a must and should be for all lux cars going forward. I love it in the ES, why wasn't available in the GS or even LS? Dramatic headlights, large grille much like what we're seeing on the upcoming 4GS. % seats would be sweet, but I wouldn't cry if only 4 were offered. Knowing Lexus and their practicality I'm sure 5 would be included. Akin to what you said, a LFA 4 door toned down for the street. F sport body trim is a must is a must obviously. Basically something along the lines of the much anticipated Tesla model S. Dramatic styling that makes you ask what is that? and how much? I think this can be down and WILL be done, I'm just wondering when. Because if you look around everyone is offering something along these lines.
Old 08-26-11, 07:28 PM
LexFather

LexLaw and everyone, this was interesting. As I walked away from my car tonight and I can't lie I looked twice what I then pondered was "what Lexus next'.

It then occured to me I would rock the LFA but that is clearly impossible and then there is NOTHING from a coupe/interesting perspective in a size of the GS. While I love what the 4GS is going to be, the more sedan like styling (mini LS) doesn't yell to me like the 2/3 GS which has a rounded, coupe like form.

Now I love the IS F and it is superb but its another 4 door and its smaller.

So I stood there kind of sad and this thread popped in my head. Lexus REALLY needs to make a GS coupe and get back to some beautiful coupes like the 1SC or even bring ANY SC back.

I'm seeing the A7, CLS, Panamera, E class coupe, S5 coupe, XK, etc etc etc all day long. Lexus has got to make something in this realm and FAST.

Old 08-26-11, 09:42 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
By all means, drive one if you get a chance. I got a chance to sample an XKR convertible (106K) last December, before my surgery, for the annual Holiday Review. That car is a trip.....driving it was like dating a supermodel.
time for you to raid your piggy bank and get the supermodel car you've been dreaming about!
Old 08-28-11, 08:40 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
LexLaw and everyone, this was interesting. As I walked away from my car tonight and I can't lie I looked twice what I then pondered was "what Lexus next'.

It then occured to me I would rock the LFA but that is clearly impossible and then there is NOTHING from a coupe/interesting perspective in a size of the GS. While I love what the 4GS is going to be, the more sedan like styling (mini LS) doesn't yell to me like the 2/3 GS which has a rounded, coupe like form.

Now I love the IS F and it is superb but its another 4 door and its smaller.

So I stood there kind of sad and this thread popped in my head. Lexus REALLY needs to make a GS coupe and get back to some beautiful coupes like the 1SC or even bring ANY SC back.

I'm seeing the A7, CLS, Panamera, E class coupe, S5 coupe, XK, etc etc etc all day long. Lexus has got to make something in this realm and FAST.
I'm glad you smell me. The 4GS moved me from the minute I saw the 1st shots of it. Unlike many on the interweb, I liked the design from day one, particularly its aggressive grille which was on display in the concept. It's a great forward moving design on Toyota's part. However it does not satisfy my desires for that alternative coupe/sedan. It's a great contemporary sedan that should do well against it's European counterparts but it is not the answer to the CLS, Panamera or A7 nor did I expect it to be. As you mentioned the 2GS and 3GS were coupe like well before it was fashionable. Ian Callum and the people at Nissan certainly appreciated those designs.

I still think that Lexus needs to jump on the bandwagon and build this niche car that many of us desire. Perhaps they will in the next 3 years after releasing the next LS and IS but I feel that's a little too far away. If they don't want to make that sexy evil GS/LS twin yet then give us a GS coupe and we'll go from there.I know this is a Lexus forum and pretty much all of us here are passionate about their cars, some more than others obviously.But we would be kidding ourselves to act as if Lexus is at the tip of peoples tongues as far as what's hot in the automotive game. It's been a minute, perhaps the current LS and it's auto park was the last car to have people "talking" about the big L. Yes the LFA has garnered its own share of attention but that was on another level...That is not a mass produced car, "Just" an exotic to shake up the game and show the world that Lexus can be sporty.

Lexus needs to get the streets talking again. Audi has managed to do it with a combination of aggressive looking cars and an equally aggressive marketing blitz as they aim to surpass their fellow Germans in their quest to be number 1. Now that all of the Lexus cars are scheduled to be redesigned in the next few years, I patiently await to see what's on the menu for us.
Old 08-28-11, 08:57 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i agree with many

at this point in the game, it isnt about liking things anymore
from a pure designing standpoint, many manufacturers, especially germans are using strong design language with both organic yet sharp lines to accentuate many details

lexus is too clinical with its designs and none of the cars have stirred my souls lately

for people that never understood why they should buy a lexus (there are lots of people out there that dont know what lexus' philosophy is), they would never take a second look into lexus... simply because of the design is just lacking that emotional element
Old 08-31-11, 01:15 PM
IceSC
Rookie

Long story short: lexus does not have a competitive current lineup that can compete with models offered by the german luxury brands, nor do they seem to be interested in putting one out as judged by what they have been doing the last 5-10 years. Look at the huge lineups by BMW/MB and honestly tell me if Lexus is a real competitor to them... BMW and MB, as mentioned earlier in this thread have 4-6 different coupes a piece!

Selling ES' and RXs to older and retired people in major numbers is nice and all, but you have to be realistic with what Lexus is and what they compete with. They are not a competiting with customers with MB/BMW, they may have been in the past, but definitely not now. Lexus has it's own segment of buyers that want reliable, luxurious, but not flashy cars that the buyers know are not really competitive with german offerings. IMO lexus went away from being a luxury brand, and more like upscale Toyota about half a decade ago.

Last edited by IceSC; 08-31-11 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-31-11, 01:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by IceSC
Lexus is very close to becoming like Acura...they literally don't seem to be interested in putting out competitive lineups. Look at the huge lineups by BMW/MB and honestly tell me if Lexus is a real competitor to them... BMW and MB, as mentioned earlier in this thread have 4-6 different coupes a piece!

Selling ES' and RXs to older and retired people in major numbers is nice and all, but you have to be realistic with what Lexus is and what they compete with. They are not a direct competitor with MB/BMW, they may have been in the past, but definitely not now.
at least lexus has v8 j/k

Quick Reply: Lexus it is time! Can we please get a car that man, woman and child all lust after?