Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM doesn't want you drifting in their Camaro.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-11, 09:24 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I would make disabling Onstar my first priority if I bought a new GM.
The thought of having an onboard communications system that can send so much information back to the mothership unnerves me. What if they start using GPS and Onstar to report speeders to the police? Or if somebody isn't wearing a seat belt?
Old 08-14-11, 10:46 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Airbags are supposed to go off during a crash, not before. Let the stability control systems do the work before the crash.
This is all wrong and no other car seems to have this problem. Recall or recalibrate.
Old 08-14-11, 11:30 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
The thought of having an onboard communications system that can send so much information back to the mothership unnerves me. What if they start using GPS and Onstar to report speeders to the police? Or if somebody isn't wearing a seat belt?
I wouldn't be surprised if they actually do that in the future. And they have the power to disable the engine as well.
Old 08-14-11, 11:31 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob Lutz will probably try to blame it on the supplier and then somehow blame it on Toyota. Look up his comments on the Cobalt EPS recall of last year and you'll see what I mean.
Old 08-14-11, 11:34 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I smell RECALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-15-11, 08:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Airbags are supposed to go off during a crash, not before. Let the stability control systems do the work before the crash.
Stability systems aren't supposed to allow you to (significantly) drift. That is the primary reason for their existance.....to balance out understeer/oversteer. Some sport-oriented VSC systems, though, do allow some tail-out sliding before kicking in.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-15-11 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-15-11, 08:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Why? On-Star can help save your life after a major crash......or one that is significant enough to fire the air bags. The system automatically calls the nearest fire/rescue, towing, and police stations.

Not only that, but you're paying for the system each time you buy a new GM car (or renew your OnStar subscription). Might as well use it rather than waste your money.
Old 08-15-11, 12:55 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

This idea of having side airbags deploy as it senses a roll over is total crap. Airbags are only fully inflated for only an instant! In a front impact they are timed to deploy to cushion you as you impact. It's like having the front airbags deploy before you actually hit something because it thinks you are going to hit something. The seat belt pre-tensioner takes care of that.

But if these deployed before an actual roll over, it's clear that they would be already deflated by the time the roll over happens thus not doing you a bit of good.

Sorry - not buying it that they would actually help.
Old 08-15-11, 01:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMax96
This idea of having side airbags deploy as it senses a roll over is total crap. Airbags are only fully inflated for only an instant! In a front impact they are timed to deploy to cushion you as you impact. It's like having the front airbags deploy before you actually hit something because it thinks you are going to hit something. The seat belt pre-tensioner takes care of that.

But if these deployed before an actual roll over, it's clear that they would be already deflated by the time the roll over happens thus not doing you a bit of good.

indeed... look for a recall.
Old 08-15-11, 02:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

no you are completely right. air bag is to save you when things happen ALREADY, it can't be "preventive". airbags inflate in msec and they actually start to deflate afterward (if i remember right), so inflating before roll over actually happens, then what's going to safe you when you are rolling over

anything preventive should be job of stability system
Old 08-15-11, 02:14 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

Driver's fault for not rolling it
Old 08-15-11, 05:03 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Guy needs to buy a used 350Z with some cheap *** rubber and learn to drift

Honestly the airbags was not a surprise, look how un smooth he is
Old 08-15-11, 06:31 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
airbags inflate in msec and they actually start to deflate afterward (if i remember right),
Yep and I've witnessed it myself (reason I now own a second ES350). I didn't even have time to focus my vision on an inflated airbag.

It pops like a firecracker but the sound was covered up by the crunch of the impact. I actually only remember feeling the warmth and shape of knee airbag on my legs for an instant. Like the passenger of the Camaro, I ended up with a burn but mine was on the inside of my wrist from the wheel bag. Didn't really notice how much it hurt until about 15 mins later due to the adrenaline!
Old 08-15-11, 06:47 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

That sucks! I guess I won't be drifting in a new Camaro.
Old 08-15-11, 11:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Yep and I've witnessed it myself (reason I now own a second ES350). I didn't even have time to focus my vision on an inflated airbag.

It pops like a firecracker but the sound was covered up by the crunch of the impact. I actually only remember feeling the warmth and shape of knee airbag on my legs for an instant. Like the passenger of the Camaro, I ended up with a burn but mine was on the inside of my wrist from the wheel bag. Didn't really notice how much it hurt until about 15 mins later due to the adrenaline!
see, if that's really the case, deploying airbag in a PREVENTIVE measure is as stupid as it gets

Quick Reply: GM doesn't want you drifting in their Camaro.