Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official 2012 Camry: Pics, Reviews, Specs

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-11, 05:33 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@spwolf
Are we talking about just the SE version (ATARA) or the USDM version as a whole?

Oh and we're talking about exterior design by the way (so as not to be confused)

Btw:
A few minutes ago, I was comparing between both versions of the Camry Hybrid.

This

and

And my god, that USDM Hybrid is just boring. It looks boring that it is nauseating (like a drab or a sea of boredom). Makes me wanna vomit

I swear, for the USDM/AUDM model, only the SE version (or Camry Atara) looks exciting........or at the very least acceptable. All other trim levels look like ****.

This isn't the case with the JDM/Rest of the World version where even the most basic design trim or version looks good and presentable.

P.S.
Btw, for Australia and Middle East markets, they will mostly likely get both versions as usual. More choices imho
Old 09-06-11, 05:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'm not a fan of that design.I prefer the plain old full leather seating.
I do like the double stitching.
it is boring though... generally in past few years, especially in europe, there has been a lot of work on making seats look interesting... while Toyota seats in past 7-8 years have been very boring monotone designs.

I think in real life, this is much nicer (lots of reviewers commented how they look upscale in real life too).

Also look at Yaris SE seats and bolsters... looks nice.

Old 09-06-11, 05:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
@spwolf
Are we talking about just the SE version (ATARA) or the USDM version as a whole?

Oh and we're talking about exterior design by the way (so as not to be confused)

Btw:

This

and

And my god, that USDM Hybrid is just boring. It looks boring that it is nauseating (like a drab or a sea of boredom). Makes me wanna vomit

I swear, for the USDM/AUDM model, only the SE version (or Camry Atara) looks exciting........or at the very least acceptable. All other trim levels look like ****.

This isn't the case with the JDM/Rest of the World version where even the most basic design trim or version looks good and presentable.

P.S.
Btw, for Australia and Middle East markets, they will mostly likely get both versions as usual. More choices imho
hybrids are almost the same at front, difference in light and photos actually... take the same pic of USDM and it will look very similar...
Old 09-06-11, 05:50 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
hybrids are almost the same at front, difference in light and photos actually... take the same pic of USDM and it will look very similar...
Nope, sorry bout that but I'm afraid I have to disagree with you there. I think it has something to do with way that front grille flows with the headlamps (and explains why I appreciate the SE version/Camry ATARA but diss at how boring the front end looks on other versions).

I think others here feel the same way as well.

Just saying
Old 09-06-11, 05:54 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, sorry bout that but I'm afraid I have to disagree with you there. I think it has something to do with way that front grille flows with the headlamps (and explains why I appreciate the SE version/Camry ATARA but diss at how boring the front end looks on other versions).

I think others here feel the same way as well.

Just saying
Agree with you to a certain point. JDM Hybrid version also looks boring compares to USDM SE model.
Old 09-06-11, 11:08 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cino
Agree with you to a certain point. JDM Hybrid version also looks boring compares to USDM SE model.
Sure..........but apples to oranges. As a whole, the consensus is that in terms of exterior designs, JDM/Rest of the World Camry>USDM Camry

I still couldn't stomach as to how boring and bland the non-SE trims are.

But hey, people will still buy them anyways.........no matter how vomit-inducing the non-SE versions look
Old 09-06-11, 12:49 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

@spwolf

Btw:

P.S.
Why are we even debating aesthetic design? Need I remind you that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"? What you find nice looking, I may find as ugly as sin.

And why is it that self-claimed Toyota fans are always screaming for less-boring designs, yet when Toyota does produce more interesting designs -- Venza, Gen2 Matrix and now Gen7 Camry, for instance -- the same people scream that they are ugly? Toyota is damned if they do and damned if they don't.
Old 09-06-11, 12:59 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have a clue what the "Nanoe" thing means in the picture of the climate controls?
Old 09-06-11, 01:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Alucard
Anyone have a clue what the "Nanoe" thing means in the picture of the climate controls?
ionizer... usually found in most Toyota/Lexus JDM vehicles.

It was also featured in US PR for GS350 so who knows.
Old 09-06-11, 02:42 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10 bucks says the JDM Hybrid model becomes the new HS. Why not? looks better than the one we have now. Maybe it'll be the ES basis?
Old 09-06-11, 02:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TF109B
10 bucks says the JDM Hybrid model becomes the new HS. Why not? looks better than the one we have now. Maybe it'll be the ES basis?
how the heck can people compare Camry and ES interiors is beyond me.

Also HS is one class smaller than Camry.
Old 09-06-11, 04:45 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

@spwolf

P.S.
You still don't get it. Yes, your JDM version is much better "Camry" but it also much more expensive. For instance, in China the "Camry" there is about $40K USD to start, where as in the US, it is half that price. I guess us US folks like our "boring" Camry's to be affordable for everyone, whereas the rest of the world particularly the 3rd world countries like China, Philippines, Vietnam, etc. it is a luxury item to get a car in the first place and the price justifies it with the high VAT on them.
Old 09-06-11, 11:28 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
how the heck can people compare Camry and ES interiors is beyond me.

Also HS is one class smaller than Camry.
How the heck can one assume something when you didn't say that?

In all seriousness, I was talking about the vehicle. Not the interior. The JDM camry you posted looks suspiciously close to the HS we have now. Why could it not be the next gen for the HS unless they stick with the euro Toyota they use now. But seeing the specs for the new Camry, the HS seems worthless unless it's that much more luxurious.
Old 09-07-11, 01:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TF109B
How the heck can one assume something when you didn't say that?

In all seriousness, I was talking about the vehicle. Not the interior. The JDM camry you posted looks suspiciously close to the HS we have now. Why could it not be the next gen for the HS unless they stick with the euro Toyota they use now. But seeing the specs for the new Camry, the HS seems worthless unless it's that much more luxurious.
Camry and HS dont look alike at all. I dont know how could you say that :-).
Camry is larger and properly proportioned car. HS is smaller and weird.
Old 09-07-11, 08:22 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rest of the world or US version.... I hate those fog lights. I'd rather get the base version just to have the black inserts instead of those chrome monstrosities...

Quick Reply: Official 2012 Camry: Pics, Reviews, Specs