Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official 2012 Camry: Pics, Reviews, Specs

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-11, 05:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

real life pics make it look better too
Old 08-24-11, 07:12 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks ok. Interior is really nice. Will still be King of the midsize segment but all this hype and excitement is just something I ain't feelin'. It's like throwing a party featuring meatloaf and mashed potatoes.
Old 08-24-11, 07:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

it's better than the outgoing model, but that isn't saying much. it's still pretty plain/ugly inside and out.
hybrid fuel economy sounds very impressive though.
Old 08-24-11, 08:40 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

It's ok. I wish it looked sleeker and didn't have such a utilitarian looking interior.
Old 08-24-11, 09:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedflex
It looks ok. Interior is really nice. Will still be King of the midsize segment but all this hype and excitement is just something I ain't feelin'. It's like throwing a party featuring meatloaf and mashed potatoes.
on the contre my friend, should not the most sold car in the usa get the biggest party?
Old 08-24-11, 09:50 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
on the contre my friend, should not the most sold car in the usa get the biggest party?
For Moms, Dads, and certainly Toyota salespersons. But car enthusiasts? Well...

Sales numbers don't ad value to anything for me personally.
Old 08-24-11, 09:52 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you could have the current exterior with the new interior, that would be a winner. The trade off of good exterior/poor interior or poor exterior/good interior is an unfortunate one.

The new car looks fine, but I think my problem is how much it looks like the current Corolla - front end and side profile are very similar. And, of course, there are the similarities to the current Camry, but I actually like the look of the current exterior much more (from pictures).
Old 08-24-11, 09:59 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
For Moms, Dads, and certainly Toyota salespersons. But car enthusiasts? Well...

Sales numbers don't ad value to anything for me personally.
It a Camry. Nothing in this class is for enthusiasts, maybe the Mazda 6 which dropped the MS6 anyway. (And there can be enthusiasts in this class of course, I assume he means people that damn near track their cars or something)

Sales numbers=profit in the case of the Camry= money to spend where needed. Slow sellers=less/no profit= oh crap.

Every car maker would KILL to have the Camry. They Aim for it and claim to beat it every year.

Toyota has done a great thing for the Camry. The Taurus used to be the best selling car in AMerica and they went radical with circles and sales fell off the cliff and never recovered.

Old 08-24-11, 10:07 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It a Camry. Nothing in this class is for enthusiasts, maybe the Mazda 6 which dropped the MS6 anyway. (And there can be enthusiasts in this class of course, I assume he means people that damn near track their cars or something)

Sales numbers=profit in the case of the Camry= money to spend where needed. Slow sellers=less/no profit= oh crap.

Every car maker would KILL to have the Camry. They Aim for it and claim to beat it every year.

Toyota has done a great thing for the Camry. The Taurus used to be the best selling car in AMerica and they went radical with circles and sales fell off the cliff and never recovered.
All well and good. But as you yourself said. "It's a Camry". I can't get all worked up over it. Now if it shook things up a bit, if they actually showed some ***** in the design, I'd be all in the party too.

Kind of a conundrum when people are saying that it's supposed to be vanilla because that's what the segment wants and that it's not meant to be exciting and yet we're supposed to BE excited about it. How does that compute?
Old 08-24-11, 10:58 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I don't recall anybody asking you to be excited, but if it sells in droves and makes Toyota enough money so that they can afford to not GAF and make cars like the LFA/ISF/FT-86_FR-S and not worry about them being very profitable you can sure as hell bet I'm excited.
Old 08-24-11, 11:47 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

The outside still looks like a typical Camry, which I think is understandable, why ruin a safe design which keeps the Camry's customer base so large? The interior, on the other hand, has improved dramatically at least in design speaking, if not the materials used. Sonata could play catch up in terms of sale, but that's all it could do, surpassing Camry is still impossible in the forseeable future. Once Toyota's global production returns to normal, companies like Hyundai and Volkswagen would realize who is still the king.
Old 08-24-11, 11:57 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Overall, a decent design that will go over well. But some of the details are strange, which I'd like to point out... The over-stretched front air intakes on the SE (plain Jane, dated Mazda 6). The Botox foglight cutouts of the LE/XLE point in a direction that doesn't match the rest of the front styling. The taillights look flat-out rediculous. The front sag in the shoulder line is from cheap, older Isuzus and Hyundais. The dash isn't as clean or smooth as the existing model. The cupholder area looks like a tacked on "table." And the protruding circle buttons on the steering wheel look like warts. I feel Toyota, in their attempt to inject sport into the equation, added on random shapes and objects to accomplish this. Could have been integrated a little better, but these are overall nitpicks that will get lost in volume sales.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 08-24-11 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-24-11, 12:30 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

I consider myself an automotive enthusiast because I like ALL cars.

Not every car has to be super fast with exotic styling. This new Camry isn't like a Ferrari, but I think the excitement for it is warranted.
Old 08-24-11, 12:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Alucard
I consider myself an automotive enthusiast because I like ALL cars.

Not every car has to be super fast with exotic styling. This new Camry isn't like a Ferrari, but I think the excitement for it is warranted.
agreed completely...
Old 08-24-11, 12:50 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like a minor revision, but I'd much prefer the front end of the SE if it had one less mesh opening/air inlet, as in the second pic below:
Attached Thumbnails Official 2012 Camry: Pics, Reviews, Specs-camry-se.jpg  

Quick Reply: Official 2012 Camry: Pics, Reviews, Specs