Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official 2012 Camry: Pics, Reviews, Specs

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-11, 01:40 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
For Moms, Dads, and certainly Toyota salespersons. But car enthusiasts? Well...

Sales numbers don't ad value to anything for me personally.
There are many kinds of car enthusiasts, don't you think it's a bit arrogant for those who only care about sporty cars think they own the term "car enthusiasts" ? For example, a classic car enthusiast gets excited when they find a good conditioned classic car , and they sure don't look at it's sporty performance as priority , but not too many will even look at an old car and get excited about them if they don't like old cars .

I never get excited about any cars in this class be it Toyota, nissan, Honda or hyundai, because I am never in the market for one of these family sedans, but who am I to say those that are long time customers of any of these models can't be excited about them ? In fact , I have never seen anyone not excited about buying any new cars in any class , once they decided to get a particular model , they are always excited about it, whether it's a family sedan, a minivan, a SUV or a sporty car ......

Last edited by Gojirra99; 08-24-11 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-24-11, 02:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

hopefully not a repost, but an excellent review:

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...content=WR73+2
Old 08-24-11, 02:11 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some comments,

- The more I see it, the more I appreciate its evolutionary design. I don't even mind the tail lights.

- I love how Toyota avoided the never ending trend of always going bigger, this Camry is exactly the same size on the outside. And its lighter!

- I am very, very impressed with the fuel efficiency, especially the hybrid. The 8 MPG combined bump is remarkable while making it lighter and cheaper. Toyota says they will double Camry hybrid sales, I think they may triple them. Looks like the hybrid is now the model to get, before it wasn't worth it.

- I really like the interior, except for the video game controller steering wheel controls. Excellent materials for the class. No nonsense ergonomics.

I think I see a Camry Hybrid in my future.
Old 08-24-11, 03:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Here is a good review:
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/first-dr...ota-camry.html
Old 08-24-11, 10:28 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Seems like a minor revision, but I'd much prefer the front end of the SE if it had one less mesh opening/air inlet, as in the second pic below:
I agree, your second pic looks much better. The base G35/7 has the same three openings, but it doesn't look as bad there. In my opinion, it's the Camry's raised foglights that throw off the look. It looks like one big gaping mouth being stretched sideways.
Old 08-25-11, 12:00 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

I may be a minority here but I dont like the SE grill, I like the chrome of the normal models and especially the hybrid.
Old 08-25-11, 04:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I have read around 20 reviews of the car, and it is quite interesting to read... Most of them wanted to find something wrong with the car and most of them did not. Out of 20, there were 3 of what I would consider negative review, where it felt like there was no other positive outcome, while others ended up with the line "Camry will keep its sales title for years to come".

So overall, for vehicle everyone loves to hate, pretty damn good reviews.

Interesting things:
- We have to keep in mind that these were pre-production vehicles. I believe Toyota changed steering EPS to be same as in SE for all models but fleet one.

- Australian review (different version of the car with more features and interior) mentioned Lexus like interior materials and features (auto high beams for instance), and excellent driving skills compared to old Camry.

- Manual shifting transmission was considered quick and rev matching by some, and slow by others (mostly good).

- 4cly engine was considered great, quick, effortless, quiet even at max speed by 95% of the reviewers while two mentioned it is tired, has to work hard and noisy. Same reviewer question why only 270hp in V6. One said that only V6 is quick enough to drive daily.

- Few considered new Camry to be in person very different from old Camry and more like TSX. Few said they couldnt tell the difference between new and old.

- Most said that SE was how normal Camry should be, smooth while slightly firmer. Few said it was very trashy and noisy and bumpy. Few said it was good balance.

Only 20-30% of the reviews had made sense to me and made me feel as if they actually drove the car.
Old 08-25-11, 10:27 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

TTAC didnt give a good review. but they never give a good review to Lexus/Toyota products
Old 08-25-11, 11:14 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Problem is, the article doesn't tell us which Camry version lost the pork, though it could, of course, refer to all of the versons to some extent.
They all dropped 155 lbs, with the hybrid losing an additional 66 lbs.
Old 08-25-11, 05:20 PM
modernx
Rookie

[moderated: now links to HUGE images]

I like this Camry more.

http://i.drom.ru/pubs/4/17351/319029.jpg

http://i.drom.ru/pubs/4/17351/319033.jpg

http://i.drom.ru/pubs/4/17351/319035.jpg

http://i.drom.ru/pubs/4/17351/319031.jpg

http://i.drom.ru/pubs/4/17351/319037.jpg

moderator warning: link to Russian website (huge source of viruses - take at your own risk)

http://news.drom.ru/Toyota-Camry-17351.html

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-25-11 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-25-11, 05:24 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks so much better.
Old 08-25-11, 05:50 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by modernx

I like this Camry more.
I think many of us would agree.

Yet many are saying that our Camry is too conservative, when clearly, Toyota made ours more edgy and sporty. Now, the even more conservative Camry is preferred. Go figure.

This version is very Lexus-like. Could almost pass for the new ES. Even has LS headlights. I do wish we got the filled in tails.
Old 08-25-11, 06:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I think many of us would agree.

Yet many are saying that our Camry is too conservative, when clearly, Toyota made ours more edgy and sporty. Now, the even more conservative Camry is preferred. Go figure.

This version is very Lexus-like. Could almost pass for the new ES. Even has LS headlights. I do wish we got the filled in tails.
it is very generic "large toyota luxury sedan"... USDM is a lot nicer, except of course this is a lot more expensive vehicle so it gets a lot of equipment :-).

ES also has nicer interior.
Old 08-25-11, 06:55 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the linked pics will end up being the new ES. Looks more Lexus-like to me with the LS-like head lights and the Lexus family styled rear.

I just don't like the fog lights on the new USDM Camry. They look too big and out of place. They look better and more integrated in Post #70.
Old 08-25-11, 07:06 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by T0ked
I think the linked pics will end up being the new ES. Looks more Lexus-like to me with the LS-like head lights and the Lexus family styled rear.

I just don't like the fog lights on the new USDM Camry. They look too big and out of place. They look better and more integrated in Post #70.
Well, even though it's Lexus like, this is in no way the new ES. Not even close.

The ES has never shared Camry sheet metal, and never will. Even though the ES is loosely based on the Camry as far as the platform goes.

I was saying that the exterior styling comes close to passing as an ES, but I also say that the ES will be a step up.

Quick Reply: Official 2012 Camry: Pics, Reviews, Specs