Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi R8 advise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-11, 12:33 AM
scgt652
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It's also THEE car to be seen in Hollywood, not to mention in a slew of hip hop videos.
I work in the entertainment industry. My office is in Hollywood. 99% of the folks in this industry have no idea what an R8 is. Hybrids and electric cars are the biggest status symbols in Hollywood nowadays. Everyone here drools over Teslas. I know three studio executives who purchased Nissan Leafs this year. Leonardo DiCaprio was recently on the front page of every industry magazine because he bought a Fisker.
Old 08-28-11, 11:31 AM
kenysl
Rookie

To help Axtellz a little bit on picking his supercar ride, I hopefully can give some insight! I currently own an ISF and R8 V10 spyder myself. They are both very nice cars but they serve very different purpose. ISF is a supersport sedan which offers extraordinary comfortness and attention to detail. This is my first Japanese high end car but this has been out of my expectation.

R8 V10 is a true supersport car which is in another category. Prior to purchase, I've done some searching and this might be subjective but this gave me the go:

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/carg...alifornia.html

GTR is in the same category in terms of performance and probably a little faster. But am I trying to get the fastest car? there are always faster car in the future. So if I get the supercar performance, the attention, I think thats all it matters. The V10 is quite a bargain cuz you get same engine as the Gallardos but quite a bit cheaper.

I would purchase a GTR and keep for a year or two before upgrading, but R8 you can probably keep for longer and get something of it other that speed alone.
Old 08-28-11, 08:51 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i would get a 911 Turbo
but thats just me, a porsche aficionado
Old 08-28-11, 09:39 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by scgt652
I work in the entertainment industry. My office is in Hollywood. 99% of the folks in this industry have no idea what an R8 is. Hybrids and electric cars are the biggest status symbols in Hollywood nowadays. Everyone here drools over Teslas. I know three studio executives who purchased Nissan Leafs this year. Leonardo DiCaprio was recently on the front page of every industry magazine because he bought a Fisker.
It's likely we are talking about two different branches of the industry. I'm referring to the nightlife and nightclubs. These (the Audi) are the cars I see parked out in front.
Old 08-28-11, 10:33 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It's likely we are talking about two different branches of the industry. I'm referring to the nightlife and nightclubs. These (the Audi) are the cars I see parked out in front.
Thanks for the clarification. You are absolutely correct. Audis are popular among the posers, d-bags, and wanna-be celebrities who hang out at the nightclubs in Hollywood. However, none of those losers has a significant job in the entertainment industry. I work with real studio executives, casting directors, and talent reps. We work insanely long hours, and so we don't have the time to hang out at nightclubs.
Old 08-30-11, 01:45 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by scgt652
Thanks for the clarification. You are absolutely correct. Audis are popular among the posers, d-bags, and wanna-be celebrities who hang out at the nightclubs in Hollywood. However, none of those losers has a significant job in the entertainment industry. I work with real studio executives, casting directors, and talent reps. We work insanely long hours, and so we don't have the time to hang out at nightclubs.
I wouldn't go as far as to call clubbers d-bags. Perhaps some have decent jobs and also work long hours. But the idea the Audi is out there and known is something we can agree on. I'll leave it at that.
Old 08-30-11, 10:21 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A lot of you guys bring up so many points that it took me a while to read everything and I have to first say everyone has a point about each car. This is why each MFR. builds all these different cars for us to enjoy. Isn't life great?
Old 08-30-11, 10:27 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kickhard

Oh ya about the manual trans i felt the same way as you do until I got use to and drove the GTR. It really is amazing. I never drive my car in the auto mode. It is so much fun and the shifts are so quick that I didn't miss the manual trans. The Trans IMO is what makes the GTR what it is. Without the trans none of the performance bench marks would have been achieved.
Sorry guys I don't know how to "multi-quote" so have to do this individually

Do you think the GTR auto tranny is smarter/better than the IS-F? I drove my buddies DCT auto in his m3 the other day and can't believe how fun it was to drive compared to my IS-F. The IS-F is just another auto tranny with a paddle to shift but the M3 really drives like a manual. Is the GTR more like the m3 auto?

Infinus: Wow I can't believe a 2010 GTR is only $65k now, that is an amazing deal, what color/option did the car have? Just curious...

Living in a town where both Fisker and Tesla have huge offices, I see quite a few of the Tesla roadsters but not that many Fisker's on the road yet. Personally I think those cars mainly a status symbol right now as they are just too expensive for what you get. The rich will buy them just to be seen but for the normal Joe I don't think think its there yet.

As for what Hollywood or celebrities drive, I'm definitely not in that crowd nor do I want to be so for me the R8 still seems to be the best fit dollar for dollar. Yes the Chevy Corvette ZR1 is probably the best performance car if you care about speed and value and that is another car I would actually consider buying even though in terms of fitment or wow factor it won't hold a candle to the R8.
Old 08-30-11, 12:55 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=s4play;6646118]
Sorry guys I don't know how to "multi-quote" so have to do this individually
See the little + sign next to the quote button? hit that for every reply you want to quote, then hit quote and it will have them all ready for you

Do you think the GTR auto tranny is smarter/better than the IS-F? I drove my buddies DCT auto in his m3 the other day and can't believe how fun it was to drive compared to my IS-F. The IS-F is just another auto tranny with a paddle to shift but the M3 really drives like a manual. Is the GTR more like the m3 auto?
DCT's are actually manual transmissions but the computer controls the clutch, where the ISF is actually an auto transmission with a direct shift feature so that's why they feel better because they really are manual trannys without the clutch pedal.

Infinus: Wow I can't believe a 2010 GTR is only $65k now, that is an amazing deal, what color/option did the car have? Just curious...
It was red with white interior and had the winter package if I'm not mistaken. The car isn't listed anymore so I imagine at that price it sold quickly.
Old 09-08-11, 10:56 AM
kenysl
Rookie

DCT works like DSG and R tronic is like SMG. Driven both, dual clutch is alot smoother and u can leave it in auto mode. SMG or R tronic, more fun to play with but you will get the choke feeling, especially from 1st to 2nd and also if you are the passenger!
Old 09-08-11, 04:02 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

^2010 GTR for $65k is a steal as long as it's in good shape with decent miles and not abused!

I saw a tall German guy walk in with his wife and 2 kids into a Nissan dealer once (he pulled up in a Carrera 4s) and wanted to get a more "roomy" sports car so the sales guy opened up a new GTR on showroom and his 2 kids jumped into the back...haha

Talk about the ultimate family car
Old 09-08-11, 06:17 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
I saw a tall German guy walk in with his wife and 2 kids into a Nissan dealer once (he pulled up in a Carrera 4s) and wanted to get a more "roomy" sports car so the sales guy opened up a new GTR on showroom and his 2 kids jumped into the back...haha

Talk about the ultimate family car
I dunno about that, I once talked to a guy who went from a 996 Turbo > GT-R and he mentioned the rear seats were just as useless. (He recently replaced the GT-R with a 997.2 GT3, so I think he's just given up on the rear seats idea.)
Old 09-09-11, 01:11 AM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gengar
I dunno about that, I once talked to a guy who went from a 996 Turbo > GT-R and he mentioned the rear seats were just as useless. (He recently replaced the GT-R with a 997.2 GT3, so I think he's just given up on the rear seats idea.)
I guess it really all depends how big your kids/pets/whatever you're putting back there is.
Old 09-09-11, 07:12 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts

You really can't go wrong with either car. The GTR is very fast and is a lot cheaper. However, the R8 is so cool and flashy. I saw a black R8 convertible at a car meet last weekend and it looked amazing. I'd go with the R8 just for it's exotic style.

If you're not into being super flashy, a GTR would be a good idea.
Old 09-09-11, 09:33 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by infinus
I guess it really all depends how big your kids/pets/whatever you're putting back there is.
I think that guy should have got a Panorama Turbo

(drove that car last week and it's UNGODLY FAST, way faster than any sedan should be and probably beat many "exotics")

Quick Reply: Audi R8 advise?