Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Road Trip! Russia approves tunnel to Alaska under Bering Strait

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-11, 05:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Road Trip! Russia approves tunnel to Alaska under Bering Strait

Road Trip! Russia approves tunnel to Alaska under Bering Strait

The Russian government has given the go-ahead on an ambitious new tunnel project that could connect Siberia with Alaska via an underground rail line. If completed, the $65 billion project will be the longest underwater tunnel in the world, besting the Chunnel between England and France by twice the distance. The planned course would stretch over 65 miles and would snake beneath the Big and Little Diomede Islands. According to Inhabitat, the project will be funded by a private and public partnership. So why build it?

Aside from being a civil engineering marvel, the tunnel would also provide an efficient way to move 100 million tons of freight per year. In addition, the tunnel could provide an easy transmission route for electricity developed by tidal energy stations and wind plants in Russia to Alaska and Canada. In addition, the rail system would complete a high-speed network that could stretch from London to New York City. Unfortunately, the project doesn't seem to be geared toward passenger travel. At least, not for now.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/26/r...bering-strait/
Old 08-26-11, 05:43 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is awesome . I'd deifinaly take a high speed rail journey from Alaska to Russia!
Old 08-26-11, 05:52 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
Old 08-28-11, 09:06 AM
Raralith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New York to London on a train sounds actually pretty interesting, but I cringe at how many days it would take! I may go get cabin fever half way though.
Old 08-29-11, 07:38 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cool, lower freight charges on my mail-order russian brides!!! see you later UPS!!!
Old 08-29-11, 07:44 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

what an epic project. i hope we all could drive thru this in our lifetime
Old 08-29-11, 07:53 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BoDarville
cool, lower freight charges on my mail-order russian brides!!! see you later UPS!!!
hahaha
just make sure to cover insurance on your package
thats quite a journey
Old 08-29-11, 08:18 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I am still waiting for the New York to London bullet train. **** I am still waiting for the bullet trains in North America.

One thing, now Sarah Palin can be like I can just drive to Russia instead of saying she sees it from her backyard or some ****.
Old 08-29-11, 08:44 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
Why do the mail-order thing? Why not take a trip up to the Alaskan end of the tunnel and wait for stowaways hopping off the train?

Originally Posted by JessePS
One thing, now Sarah Palin can be like I can just drive to Russia instead of saying she sees it from her backyard or some ****.
Maybe you guys can do a swap -- Sarah Palin for a Russian mail-order bride or stowaway?
Old 08-30-11, 08:06 PM
91dx
Rookie

hopefully in our life time
Old 08-31-11, 02:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm surprised that a project like this wasn't done many years ago, during World War II, when we were Lend-Lease supplying our Soviet Allies by the North-Atlantic convoy route over Scandanavia to Murmansk. We (and the British) lost a LOT of cargo-ships to German U-Boats and aircraft while supplying the Russians. An underground tunnel to the Russians, like this, would have helped enormously, especially after the Alaska Highway was completed during the war. (The Russians, of course, didn't turn against us until after WWII was over and the Cold War began).

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-31-11 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-02-11, 07:43 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The elephant in the room isn't being addressed . . . why on earth would anyone want to travel from one godforsaken part of the planet to another? Alaska to SIBERIA? I can see chunnel train passengers huddled around a fire in Nome waiting for their Amtrak connection to New York . . . We have a solution for high-speed direct connections between Moscow and NYC . . . we call it an "airplane". Aeroflot will take you today from NYC to Moscow for $635 one way. In Soviet Russia we build big tunnel to compete with our puny airline.

At least the proponents of the project are being rational, considering it as a freight service - which is about the only way such a mega-expensive tunnel could be economically justified - but the payoff would be so far in the future as to be eclipsed by space elevators and teleportation. Then, why would we want to connect Russian, Canadian, and US arctic wind farms? Again, someone hasn't landed their balloon yet.

Old 09-02-11, 08:53 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
...Then, why would we want to connect Russian, Canadian, and US arctic wind farms? Again, someone hasn't landed their balloon yet.

Cause then we can have nonstop freight trains from China supplying us with basically everything we use.
Old 09-02-11, 09:21 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

lol teleportation? I think we are getting ahead of our selves.

having the tunnel built is just the beginning. by connecting the continents, we are setting the path for the future and making this planet smaller. Also once we get it built, the railway will connect to existing railways and then make it much more than just a pathway from siberia to alaska.

I want to know the environmental damage/report.
Old 09-02-11, 10:54 AM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

this actually is old news: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1680121.ece, but interesting nonetheless. wonder if they'll start soon

Quick Reply: Road Trip! Russia approves tunnel to Alaska under Bering Strait