Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My new daily driver (2006 Prius)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-11, 07:56 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts
Talking My new daily driver (2006 Prius)

Can't believe I actually did this, but I recently purchased a Certified Pre-Owned Prius. I've always been a car guy. Love speed, handling and great looking cars, but when I picked up the IS-F in 2008, I realized I needed a daily driver. It's not that the IS-F isn't a great daily car (aside from winter capabilities), but more of hating to put on too many miles and always being worried about potential damage. I want to preserve it for the many years I plan on keeping it. The IS-F just may be the car my 2 year old takes his prom date in down the road?

Our first child arrived 2 years ago and we decided to pick up an 07 Highlander Hybrid that we love. In turn, I inherited the wifes old 2002 1.8t Jetta for which I had been driving around as the daily. Needless to say enough with the repairs!!! so I sold it on autotrader 2 weeks ago and picked up a 06 Certified Prius with 70,000 miles and now have a full Toyota family. I bought the extended warranty, I believe it's called the "Platinum" warranty. I probably wasted my money having read about folks with 200k, 300k, 400k and more miles on these cars!

So being the car guy that I am and having been bit by the mod bug a loooooong time ago the Prius is no exception.

Mods:
-Formula 1 Pinnacle Series Tint 35% all around

-ProClip Center Mount for the iPhone

The stable.

Future mods:
-Once I receive the new front driver side wheel I plan on removing the wheel rings.
-Thinking about doing LED's for the license plate bulbs. Had them in the Jetta and they looked great.

Last edited by caymandive; 08-26-11 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-26-11, 08:29 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I nearly bought a Prius, would of worked perfectly for my commute. Oh well. enjoy it
Old 08-26-11, 08:34 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Now slam in and put some 17's on it lol, I kid.
Old 08-26-11, 09:37 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

congrats on the prius. any mod plans?

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Now slam in and put some 17's on it lol, I kid.
there's nothing wrong modding a prius. lots of jdm goodies for prius if OP is interested.
Old 08-26-11, 11:42 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If i had the money i would love to get a Prius as a daily driver. Epic gas mileage and i can avoid putting miles on my IS too. I love driving my IS, but i wish i wasn't putting so many miles on it. Anyways nice new edition to your garage! Can't go wrong with a Prius as a DD
Old 08-27-11, 04:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

i loved Prius for what it is when i had it for 3 years... to date my wife says it is best car we had.
Old 08-27-11, 06:17 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
If i had the money i would love to get a Prius as a daily driver. Epic gas mileage and i can avoid putting miles on my IS too. I love driving my IS, but i wish i wasn't putting so many miles on it. Anyways nice new edition to your garage! Can't go wrong with a Prius as a DD
I would not buy a new Prius as it's hard to justify the fuel mileage benefit from the cost of the car, but used is the way to go! The gas savings alone almost pays for the car itself!!

I filled the car up the day after I bought it two weeks ago and at 400 miles now I still have over a quarter tank remaining. The car says its averaging 49.5mpg, but will see what it comes out to when I check it manually. BTW.. I don't drive it slow! Quick accelerations (relatively) and I typically maintain a 10mph speed over what's posted.
Old 08-28-11, 06:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Congragulations. Although the 3Gen Prius has a more-efficient drivetrain than the 2Gen, overall, I generally think much higher of the 2Gen model you bought than the new 3Gen. The 2Gen has much more-solid-feeling sheetmetal, interior trim/materials, better ergonomics, and doesn't have that big silly hole/tunnel under the console with the heated-switches on the floor like the 3Gen.
Old 08-28-11, 09:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a friend who bought a prius because he didnt want to put mileage on his 911 turbo. Seems like a good plan.
Old 08-28-11, 10:32 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Congrats on the new car, why a Prius over a Camry Hybrid, I find the Prius to be a 100% non enthusiast type car, I would opt for slightly more driver friendly fun commuter car but maybe your driving style is making up for that
Old 08-28-11, 11:54 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

love that gen prius, pretty nice inside and great mileage.
Old 08-29-11, 05:40 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on your new addition. I have an 2011 Prius arriving in the next couple of weeks to replace my 07 Outback. (Our caregivers are having trouble helping my wife transfer into the Subie due to the frameless windows - nowhere to grab.) I calculate splitting my miles between the LS430 and the Prius will save me $100 a month at today's gas prices.

As for performance - I think it's time to return to the days when a quiet smooth ride is one of the measures of performance in cars.
Old 08-29-11, 06:55 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congragulations. Although the 3Gen Prius has a more-efficient drivetrain than the 2Gen, overall, I generally think much higher of the 2Gen model you bought than the new 3Gen. The 2Gen has much more-solid-feeling sheetmetal, interior trim/materials, better ergonomics, and doesn't have that big silly hole/tunnel under the console with the heated-switches on the floor like the 3Gen.
Yeah I know the 3rd gen also has a .25 drag coefficient vs the gen 2's .026 I have this app on my phone that I track fuel mileage with and with the most recent fill up yesterday it came out to be 54mpg since the last fill up which is 4mpg higher than what the carputer was showing. I'm no hypermiler by any means so the numbers are impressive.

I do agree that the 2nd gen has a more solid feeling to it, but I like the overall look of the 3rd gen better minus the dumb looking standard wheels they are using now. I couldn't justify spending extra for a daily driver when the 2nd gen with warranty was a pretty good deal.

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Congrats on the new car, why a Prius over a Camry Hybrid, I find the Prius to be a 100% non enthusiast type car, I would opt for slightly more driver friendly fun commuter car but maybe your driving style is making up for that
I know I may sound like a Toyota fan with having a Prius, Highlander Hybrid and the IS-F in the family, but I absolutely hate the Camry and Corolla. They are absolutely boring to drive and 9 out of 10 people who drive them in my area are idiots. Most have bumper dents and scratches and they tend to be the type that always cuts in front of you. I just don't want to put myself in that category.
Old 08-29-11, 08:15 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

Do you really like the prius? i bought one, with 22k miles a 07 CPO about a year ago, great car on gas but that is where it ends.

I sold it in about six months later putting about 12k miles on it - yea i drive a lot

Here are some reason why i sold it-

1-I have 2 kids which are 2 and 1 year old now and every time i drove the prius with the kids (to in laws house in Up state NY about 150 miles trip) or anywhere in general i felt "not safe" cars were always riding on my a** not matter what. People cutting me off etc.

2-Really really uncomfortable seats, car makes you tired after 30 mins of driving, my wife also share same experience.

3-Bad bad handling , - i wanted to lower it but then gave up.

I really really wanted to like the Prius, its not a bad car but it didnt work out for us hopefully works for you guys

Originally Posted by caymandive
Can't believe I actually did this, but I recently purchased a Certified Pre-Owned Prius. I've always been a car guy. Love speed, handling and great looking cars, but when I picked up the IS-F in 2008, I realized I needed a daily driver. It's not that the IS-F isn't a great daily car (aside from winter capabilities), but more of hating to put on too many miles and always being worried about potential damage. I want to preserve it for the many years I plan on keeping it. The IS-F just may be the car my 2 year old takes his prom date in down the road?

Our first child arrived 2 years ago and we decided to pick up an 07 Highlander Hybrid that we love. In turn, I inherited the wifes old 2002 1.8t Jetta for which I had been driving around as the daily. Needless to say enough with the repairs!!! so I sold it on autotrader 2 weeks ago and picked up a 06 Certified Prius with 70,000 miles and now have a full Toyota family. I bought the extended warranty, I believe it's called the "Platinum" warranty. I probably wasted my money having read about folks with 200k, 300k, 400k and more miles on these cars!

So being the car guy that I am and having been bit by the mod bug a loooooong time ago the Prius is no exception.

Mods:
-Formula 1 Pinnacle Series Tint 35% all around

-ProClip Center Mount for the iPhone

The stable.

Future mods:
-Once I receive the new front driver side wheel I plan on removing the wheel rings.
-Thinking about doing LED's for the license plate bulbs. Had them in the Jetta and they looked great.
Old 08-29-11, 08:45 AM
Javspo0lin
Driver School Candidate

nice reliable, and economic.

Quick Reply: My new daily driver (2006 Prius)