Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW brings 4-cylinder back to U.S. to hit new MPG requirements

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-11, 04:20 PM
VIPG35
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
IS250 needs to be replaced by a 4cyl turbo.
That would be interesting to see
Old 08-30-11, 08:24 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Since Toyota been working with Subaru.....how about sti's 300HP 4-turbo or something like the EVO 2.0 turbo?
Old 08-31-11, 02:06 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexmenow
Who pays 50k+ for a 4 cylinder LOL! If I can afford 50 to 60k for a BMW then gas should not be a concern.
So you're implying that everyone who can afford a BMW doesn't care about fuel economy?

The reality couldn't be more different. And that applies to all luxury brands and their cars. There are plenty of people out there who can afford these cars but want good fuel economy.
Old 08-31-11, 02:23 PM
IceSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by DustinV
So you're implying that everyone who can afford a BMW doesn't care about fuel economy?

The reality couldn't be more different. And that applies to all luxury brands and their cars. There are plenty of people out there who can afford these cars but want good fuel economy.
200 vs 300 difference a month on gas a much bigger difference to someone paying 175 a month for leasing a civic than it is to someone paying 700-1200 a month for a lexus. The point I believe that was trying to be made was that a 4 cyclinder engine isn't much more attractive than a 6 in that price range.
Old 08-31-11, 07:19 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

In the last few month's the Lexus surveys I receive in email have had many questions about 4cyl engines and specifically 4cyl turbos.

I think they have a place in our future due to the CAFE regs but to date I've yet to drive a 4cyl turbo that is "Lexus smooth". I'd say the Audi 2.0T is closest and a fantastic engine in that class but I'd still take a small fuel efficient v6 for a daily driver.

I guess time will tell though as with competition being tight and standards high maybe we'll have some ground breaking technology coming out way.
Old 08-31-11, 11:17 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The only way to make four cylinders something people want is to make them better. Smooth, quiet, efficient, torquey... just like a V6. With these qualities, people will forget about the title over time. Some idea is happening with people forgetting about the lowly name "Hyundai." It's not going to happen overnight, but it will happen if they are all-achieving.
For the record, Audi has been doing 4 pots in their entry sedan for decades. Welcome to today, BMW.
Old 09-01-11, 04:32 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like BMW is using the while "MPG requirements" as an excuse for cost cutting. If you do some simple math, the fine is 220m for 200k vehicles sold - so that works out to $1,100 per car, which they will just pass onto the customers. At the price point that BMW's sell for, the measly $1,100 just doesn't matter. They will lose far more customers if they go with a 4 banger vs rising price by $1,100... Especially that turbo motors are not even economical, they can just be cheated to produce better economy in lab environment, in real world they guzzle a lot worse than NA engines.

And as far as EPA and their MPG requirements, it's a clear scam. They set unattainable goals, and eventually all manufacturers will have to pay the fine, which they will just pass onto the consumers. Another hidden tax from our wonderful government.
Old 09-01-11, 05:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The only way to make four cylinders something people want is to make them better. Smooth, quiet, efficient, torquey... just like a V6. With these qualities, people will forget about the title over time. Some idea is happening with people forgetting about the lowly name "Hyundai." It's not going to happen overnight, but it will happen if they are all-achieving.
For the record, Audi has been doing 4 pots in their entry sedan for decades. Welcome to today, BMW.
BMW has been using 4cly forever, jut not in NA.

Audi's usage of VAG engines can hardly be an positive point. It is what it is.
Old 09-01-11, 05:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Sounds like BMW is using the while "MPG requirements" as an excuse for cost cutting. If you do some simple math, the fine is 220m for 200k vehicles sold - so that works out to $1,100 per car, which they will just pass onto the customers. At the price point that BMW's sell for, the measly $1,100 just doesn't matter. They will lose far more customers if they go with a 4 banger vs rising price by $1,100... Especially that turbo motors are not even economical, they can just be cheated to produce better economy in lab environment, in real world they guzzle a lot worse than NA engines.

And as far as EPA and their MPG requirements, it's a clear scam. They set unattainable goals, and eventually all manufacturers will have to pay the fine, which they will just pass onto the consumers. Another hidden tax from our wonderful government.
i agree.

Also, Auto Motor und Sport (AMS) had series of articles how these 4cly turbo's cant have real life average nothing like their EU cycle, because in EU cycle they accelerate very slowly.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/b...t-3957863.html

So with turbo's, what happens is they adjust the ecu so turbo works as little as possible during the EU cycle but when you press the pedal to get it to work, it spends a LOT more fuel than what it should. I believe 0-62mph in EU cycle is tested at 40 seconds :-).

So these high end figures are in the end just for the official show, and not something you can see in real life driving normally. Just like for instance, how these 40 MPG cars have a lot of drivers averaging 30 MPG and then people complain on the forums.
Old 09-02-11, 08:52 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i suggested something similar on the gen 2 IS forum, mine was a high revving naturally aspired 4, and i got slammed by every IS owners on this forum. they all like the smoothness of the V6.