Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

11 exotic sports cars impounded following suspected street-racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-11 | 06:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by Stormforge
yup, saw the news last nite about this. and for the record, there are ALOT of extremely wealthy people from mainland china.

my buddy at SR Auto (tuning shop for all these lambos, ferrari, aston martin, etc) says majority of his business is from mainland china. in fact, one of the lambos that got busted last night was tuned by SR.

and how do you leave the scene if you are busted by the police after they pull you over? leaving the scene would constitute a felony (similar to hit and run)

which is why vancouver real estate is one of the most expensive places to live in canada (when compared to annual salary). new york is expensive, but at least the salary is higher to compensate. not so in vancouver.
and you live in vancouver?

and here's a true story of a kid from mainland china - my buddy's friend tutors one of these kids. and every year, he trades in his car for another model. all paid in cash. the cars we are talking about is lambo, ferrari, etc. dealer kills him on the trade in but he doesn't care (nor does his parents). and i believe his family has a stable of exotic cars/sedans...that's how rich they are!

edit: and if you do a google search, you will see that exotic cars in canada are waaaay more expensive than in the US. in fact, cost conscience canadians who are in the market for an exotic head down south to buy one and ship one back up.
not surprising at all. those really rich they throw away money like that over there. here we also see the same. they throw cash to buy houses (read, plural form) like it's nothing.

well, like i said. in some way that's good. it's money tying down back to the city
Old 09-01-11 | 06:43 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

and how do you leave the scene if you are busted by the police after they pull you over? leaving the scene would constitute a felony (similar to hit and run)
The cop pull you over just to write you a ticket and say you can't drive away in your car because it is being impounded. You are free to leave as soon as the cop hand you a ticket, which takes 10 minutes. Those folks in those pics looks like they are hanging around to wait for the tow truck to tow their cars away.

which is why vancouver real estate is one of the most expensive places to live in canada (when compared to annual salary). new york is expensive, but at least the salary is higher to compensate. not so in vancouver.
Yeah I saw a TV special before how the local Canadians are complaining about how the Asians drive up the real estate prices so they can't afford it anymore. They also complain how most Asians kids get handed a brand new luxury car when they turn 18 and they have to work their *** off just to buy a used economy car.
Old 09-01-11 | 06:45 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
damn, so well said
Thank you, that's how I cope with being borned from a poor family
Old 09-01-11 | 07:07 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by rominl
and you live in vancouver?
that's why i can only afford to drive a GS450h!
Old 09-01-11 | 07:15 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

Here is some info on the B.C / Vancouver home prices (median in Canadian $)
B.C - $540,877 (July 2011) up by almost 10% from the year before.
Vancouver - $761,673 (July 2011) up by almost 16% from the year before.
National - $361,181 (July 2011) up by almost 9% from the year before. Canada's median home price is about double of what the US median home price is currently.

Thing is some people are expecting home prices to drop about 21-25% in Vancouver, but who knows really.

Last edited by JessePS; 09-01-11 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-01-11 | 07:26 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by JessePS
Thing is some people are expecting home prices to drop about 21-25% in Canada within the next 5 years.
minor correction possible, but 21-25% correction not likely. as long as rich immigrants are encouraged to move to canada, housing prices not likely to fall dramatically. but of course, it all depends on which city, province we are talking about (like vancouver for example).
Old 09-01-11 | 08:32 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

The parents aren't too smart. While some can compare our mature societies to areas of famine, these parents will (or, on second thought, maybe not) learn that giving risk-seekers any tool of power is asking for trouble. If they're lucky, the kids survive and just have some trouble with the police.

Even then, you're setting yourself up for a big argument. Your kids think they deserve XYZ, while you and everyone else thinks the kid takes privileges for granted. If you don't give the kids those tools for Christmas and instead make them work for their privileges, this wouldn't happen.

I had [weekend] access to a new car with a 190-hp V6 when I was in high school. Looking back at all the risks I took with it, 190 was already too much.
Old 09-01-11 | 08:35 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Ahhh... children of corrupt Chinese officials
Old 09-01-11 | 09:35 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

I have a real estate friend in Vancouver that just showed a mainland family some houses. The man made an offer on 8 houses out of the ones he saw...

Or the other stories about mainland Chinese people trying to one up each other in the Vancouver west end by buying the biggest or most expensive house.

Or the one where the real estate agent was made to hire a helicopter to ferry the Chinese family to each of the houses they wanted to see.

It's crazy up here in Vancouver.
Old 09-01-11 | 11:41 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I also understand how greatly blessed I am compared to most of the world. I just spent 2 years in the Philippines and saw the poverty in the areas I was at. It is heart wrenching.
Just to comment.

There are a lot of poor people here in Metro Manila and that is a fact. However, there are different kinds of poor people. There are the ones whom you can sympathize with (i.e. those who earn less than a dollar a day) or those that you should stay away (i.e. the Tondo icepick gangs and those kids sniffing rugby and intoxicating chemicals all day )

The problem of poverty in my country comes from all fronts though (i.e. no one single factor).
Old 09-02-11 | 03:11 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Originally Posted by 2BENVD
guessing daddy will cover their fine too...
the Bank of Daddy, where do I sign up?
Old 09-02-11 | 08:37 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Just to comment.

There are a lot of poor people here in Metro Manila and that is a fact. However, there are different kinds of poor people. There are the ones whom you can sympathize with (i.e. those who earn less than a dollar a day) or those that you should stay away (i.e. the Tondo icepick gangs and those kids sniffing rugby and intoxicating chemicals all day )

The problem of poverty in my country comes from all fronts though (i.e. no one single factor).
Yes, I agree with you there. It's much the same way here. You have poor people in the states(relative) who deserve help. Then there are those who deserve nothing more than an ***-whooping because they're lazy and useless.

Those rugby sniffing kids are crazy by the way. They tried to light our house on fire one night in Tubao, La Union
Old 09-02-11 | 10:56 AM
VIPG35
Lead Lap

Spoiled brats
Old 09-02-11 | 11:06 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

Isn't rugby a sport?
Old 09-02-11 | 11:23 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kaydee
the Bank of Daddy, where do I sign up?
No sign up available. You are registrated automatically when you exit the womb.