Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealership employee caught on camera searching customers car

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-11, 05:02 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

This makes me recall this ordeal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSbqF...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6TV3...layer_embedded

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/07/v...ough-customer/
Old 09-04-11, 07:19 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was a porter at a dealer and I would often to flip open the armrest console out of habit. Not usually to look (or obviously take anything). Maybe it's just me, but I sometimes flip open and closed the consoles over and over just out of pure boredom. Keeps me entertained.

There were times where I would have to take a car through the carwash (like this guy did here), except we had to stay in the cars while it was being washed (drive through wash), and I would flip open the center console or flip open the map pockets. It was fun to try to figure out what kind of person owned that vehicle. I've seen some interesting things that people keep in their cars. And then you drive the vehicle to the waiting customer and you find out whether or not you were right in your judgement.
Old 09-04-11, 08:12 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't see a problem at all....he didn't really looking. Its more like a security screening to make sure everything is in place and nothing unsafe. This owner is way over reacted....I think he need to service the car on his own. Just like other said....never leave anything on the car during service.

Last edited by grabber2; 09-04-11 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-04-11, 08:43 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 09-05-11, 04:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

also whats with trying to organize internet witch hunt to get this guy fired? trying to get other people fired is definitively an american thing, i cant figure out how could it bring happiness to you if you get provider of some family fired.
Old 09-05-11, 06:48 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I too don't see anything wrong with this... For all we know, they had just gotten done rotating the tires and he was checking to make sure the wheel lock key was returned...
Old 09-05-11, 10:07 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
What, the guy clearly went and searched through the armrest department.
You cannot clearly see that in the video. He opened it, but that's not exactly a crime. He wasn't caught doing anything, except being a little nosey perhaps. If you're going to give your car into someone else's hands, then you have to expect things like this. As long as he didn't take anything or tamper/damage anything, then he really did nothing wrong here.

Originally Posted by Och
He would probably search through glove dept and the rest of the car if his coworker didn't warn him about the camera.
You can't convict someone of doing something you think they might do. He didn't take or tamper with anything. Case closed.
Old 09-05-11, 10:12 AM
VIPG35
Lead Lap

I always remove all my stuff anyway lol Maybe next time i'll elmers glue a dollar bill on the dash lols
Old 09-05-11, 10:47 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

This guy has his panties in a wad. The guy clearly didn't do anything wrong. I have left cash, watches, a cell phone, i-pod etc in the car while getting it serviced and never once did anything get taken. Im sure someone moving my car was tempted, but they know the owner will notice anything missing. I was at a car wash once and when I got my car back I noticed my Manhattan Beach parking permit was missing. I got out and asked the manager what happened and he went into his little office and came out with it. I was kinda weirded out, but didn't make a big deal out of it. I still wonder if the guy knew that the permits are hard to come by and was thinking I wouldn't notice it was gone.
Old 09-05-11, 11:02 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by COOLIS
I was at a car wash once and when I got my car back I noticed my Manhattan Beach parking permit was missing. I got out and asked the manager what happened and he went into his little office and came out with it. I was kinda weirded out, but didn't make a big deal out of it. I still wonder if the guy knew that the permits are hard to come by and was thinking I wouldn't notice it was gone.
Wow you were too kind. That was outright theft. I would've made sure the guy who took the permit get at least verbally reprimanded in front of me.
Old 09-06-11, 09:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I didn't see anything wrong with the employee's action. And, on top of that, in most cases, it is illegal to film or record someone's actions without a court order or his/her approval.

Nissan Consumer affairs has been notified, I will pass on any updates.
There had better be a good reason for taking and posting this video. Instead of taking action against the employee (who apparantly didn't do anything wrong), Nissan may (?) have a case against the person who posted this.
Old 09-06-11, 11:54 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I didn't see anything wrong with the employee's action. And, on top of that, in most cases, it is illegal to film or record someone's actions without a court order or his/her approval.

There had better be a good reason for taking and posting this video. Instead of taking action against the employee (who apparantly didn't do anything wrong), Nissan may (?) have a case against the person who posted this.
+1... tired of this crap...
Old 09-06-11, 11:56 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Is it still illegal when you are filming someone INSIDE your own property , in this case, your car ? If so , does it make it illegal to film in your house to check how the nanny is treating your child ?( of course nannies have been caught mistreating children and brought to justice like this before) .....
Old 09-06-11, 12:09 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

He should have had the camera pointed better - you wouldn't be able to prove anyone took anything from the center console or glovebox with that angle.
Old 09-06-11, 01:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Is it still illegal when you are filming someone INSIDE your own property , in this case, your car ? If so , does it make it illegal to film in your house to check how the nanny is treating your child ?( of course nannies have been caught mistreating children and brought to justice like this before) .....
yeah that has to be a joke. illegal? show me the law please. if that's the case, that means ALL security cameras in any stores / places are illegal

Quick Reply: Dealership employee caught on camera searching customers car