Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11 | 03:35 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

Not a dig, just a question, but does Honda/Acura use any real wood in their models? I thought they have been using the fake stuff for years.
Old 09-08-11 | 04:10 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Children cry when it drives by and old people slit their wrists thinking that 2012 is here and aliens are driving cars to kill them.
That's funny, 1Sick.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't think it looks THAT bad any more. It has actually grown on me, over time, especially with the subtle facelift. I've seen the car drive by in darker colors (a dark blue, dark red and black), and it doesn't look disgusting on the road...more strange than ugly for me. And I've seen someone color match the grill on a dark blue, and it actually made the front end look much better.

Would I buy it? No. But I've seen worse looking cars. It's certainly polarizing.

But I have rented one before, just for kicks when I was out of town in Chicago, and it rides nice. Very sporty suspension (almost a tad harsh, but for my sporty posterior, I liked it ). Steering is great, throttle is great, and very peppy. Way more sporty than all stock Lexuses I've driven short of the F models. It felt even livelier than an IS350, in terms of controls and response. And it was roomier than the 2GS and 3GS, with a nice trunk. And a high content level to boot.

So, as much as I wanted to hate it, after 4 days in the TL, I thought, "I see why someone would choose this now".

I have to applaud Acura's effort, they just went a tad too crazy. Still, I'm glad that someone from Japan is pushing the design envelope. Some will be misses, some will be hits. Lexus plays it safe, while Acura says, "Screw it, we sell so many Accords, Civics and Fits, we can take risks." I have to respect that.
Old 09-08-11 | 05:12 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That, of course, is subjective....but your opinion is respected. Fake-wood, though, to some people, can look as good or better than the real stuff. Jaguar, for instance, used real wood in some of its older R-model sport-trim, but it was so dark gray-brown (almost black) and polished so mirror-like that you couldn't even tell it was wood.
Acura's fake wood has always been appalling to me. Especially in the MDX, it looks way too obviously fake. I actually feel the same about BMW wood trim. There is no depth to the color and texture.
Old 09-08-11 | 05:51 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alucard
Not a dig, just a question, but does Honda/Acura use any real wood in their models? I thought they have been using the fake stuff for years.
The RL uses real wood trim. The ZDX, RDX, TL, TSX don't have real/simulated wood trim on current models, it has been replaced by a silver/metallic trim to give a sportier look. No Honda model uses real wood, I don't think any mainstream Japanese or American brands use real wood for trim, you have to step up to their luxury counterparts.

There are only a few brands/models, mostly very expensive, that have good looking real wood trim, most real wood trim looks fake because it is overly polished with a shiny clear coat that scratches easily. I have seen the "real" wood trim in some Lexus cars and it is just a piece of plastic trim with a 1mm sliver of real wood glued to it, other manufacturers probably do the same thing to their "real" wood trim. The orangish wood trim in my GS looks very fake, I am more convinced it is fake every time I look at it, especially around the shifter area. It is not very attractive.
Old 09-08-11 | 06:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KevinGS
That's funny, 1Sick.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't think it looks THAT bad any more. It has actually grown on me, over time, especially with the subtle facelift. I've seen the car drive by in darker colors (a dark blue, dark red and black), and it doesn't look disgusting on the road...more strange than ugly for me. And I've seen someone color match the grill on a dark blue, and it actually made the front end look much better.

Would I buy it? No. But I've seen worse looking cars. It's certainly polarizing.

But I have rented one before, just for kicks when I was out of town in Chicago, and it rides nice. Very sporty suspension (almost a tad harsh, but for my sporty posterior, I liked it ). Steering is great, throttle is great, and very peppy. Way more sporty than all stock Lexuses I've driven short of the F models. It felt even livelier than an IS350, in terms of controls and response. And it was roomier than the 2GS and 3GS, with a nice trunk. And a high content level to boot.

So, as much as I wanted to hate it, after 4 days in the TL, I thought, "I see why someone would choose this now".

I have to applaud Acura's effort, they just went a tad too crazy. Still, I'm glad that someone from Japan is pushing the design envelope. Some will be misses, some will be hits. Lexus plays it safe, while Acura says, "Screw it, we sell so many Accords, Civics and Fits, we can take risks." I have to respect that.
SC 300/400 wasn't safe. GS 400 wasn't safe. IS 300 wasn't safe. RX 300 wasn't safe. IS F wasn't safe. LFA sure as hell isn't safe. There is a way to do different in a luxurious way. I prefer the previous beak grill b/c like you stated at least it was bold. The new one is admitting failure by fixing it and it blends in from the front. Its a really decent car and I'm sure if they got the styling right sales would be near normal levels. FYI the trunk is smaller than any GS on par with the IS yet its 14 inches longer.

Originally Posted by UDel
The RL uses real wood trim. The ZDX, RDX, TL, TSX don't have real/simulated wood trim on current models, it has been replaced by a silver/metallic trim to give a sportier look. No Honda model uses real wood, I don't think any mainstream Japanese or American brands use real wood for trim, you have to step up to their luxury counterparts.

There are only a few brands/models, mostly very expensive, that have good looking real wood trim, most real wood trim looks fake because it is overly polished with a shiny clear coat that scratches easily. I have seen the "real" wood trim in some Lexus cars and it is just a piece of plastic trim with a 1mm sliver of real wood glued to it, other manufacturers probably do the same thing to their "real" wood trim. The orangish wood trim in my GS looks very fake, I am more convinced it is fake every time I look at it, especially around the shifter area. It is not very attractive.
Real luxury brands use real wood. Here is a video explaining the Lexus process. Lexus even offers real Bambo now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuaakvyH6qU

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...Steering-Wheel

Its really a great article on how Lexus makes their real wood wheels.
Old 09-08-11 | 06:55 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

SC 300/400 wasn't safe. GS 400 wasn't safe. IS 300 wasn't safe. RX 300 wasn't safe. IS F wasn't safe. LFA sure as hell isn't safe. There is a way to do different in a luxurious way.
OK, you're right, they weren't safe....I stand corrected

I prefer the previous beak grill b/c like you stated at least it was bold. The new one is admitting failure by fixing it and it blends in from the front. Its a really decent car and I'm sure if they got the styling right sales would be near normal levels. FYI the trunk is smaller than any GS on par with the IS yet its 14 inches longer.
And yes, I do remember now the trunk being shallow but long, good point. Do you keep like an 'auto fact book' next to the computer, damn!
Old 09-08-11 | 07:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KevinGS
OK, you're right, they weren't safe....I stand corrected

And yes, I do remember now the trunk being shallow but long, good point. Do you keep like an 'auto fact book' next to the computer, damn!
You know I love you mahn Its why I get in arguing on the internet too many times
Old 09-09-11 | 06:30 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

The old TL and especially the old TSX 2006 up looks great. The refresh is ok. They need to go back to the drawing board with that grill.
Old 09-09-11 | 06:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

SC 300/400 wasn't safe. GS 400 wasn't safe. IS 300 wasn't safe. RX 300 wasn't safe. IS F wasn't safe. LFA sure as hell isn't safe. There is a way to do different in a luxurious way. I prefer the previous beak grill b/c like you stated at least it was bold. The new one is admitting failure by fixing it and it blends in from the front. Its a really decent car and I'm sure if they got the styling right sales would be near normal levels. FYI the trunk is smaller than any GS on par with the IS yet its 14 inches longer.

Real luxury brands use real wood. Here is a video explaining the Lexus process. Lexus even offers real Bambo now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuaakvyH6qU

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...Steering-Wheel

Its really a great article on how Lexus makes their real wood wheels.

Only on "the most premium Lexus models"?
Old 09-09-11 | 07:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Only on "the most premium Lexus models"?
I wondered about that too. Exactly which ones are "the most premium Lexus models"??
Old 09-09-11 | 08:00 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I wondered about that too. Exactly which ones are "the most premium Lexus models"??
Bob,I would think the LX,LS,GX and maybe the new GS.
Old 09-09-11 | 08:08 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

The styling may be a hit or miss depending on how the person looks at it.

However:
I give them props for their superb SH-AWD system (which is the best thing that came out Honda in recent years)
Old 09-09-11 | 12:28 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

You know I love you mahn Its why I get in arguments on the internet too many times
Yes, all I can picture is this large azz book of car facts next to your computer, complete with every detail from every car back to 1990, Lexus' first year. You let NO facts go unchecked.
Old 02-17-12 | 12:55 PM
pdwilkersn
Driver School Candidate

I looked but what other cars are in this price range? The G37 is smaller. I checked the dimensions, except for trunk space differences this car is the same size as my GS430 and MB E500.
After trading my 2006 GS430 in for the TL SH-AWD. I find so far I like somethings better. On the plus side-except for the lack of wood, the TL interior is just as high quality and the leather looks nicer
-seats more are comfortable
-cloth covered pillar moldings just like Lexus
-has all the auto AC controls as Lexus
-The electronics are easier to operate
-drives really nice
-Is not a creak monster like the Gen 3 GS's
-handles better
-way better interior lighting
-don't have to wait for the trunk release with the keyless features
-the car can operate ipods, flashdrives, wireless iphone tunes, read formats of most all CD and dvd music either by pushing buttons or voice commands.
-you know which tire is low on air

The not as good things:
-engine not silky smooth and powerful (TL better mileage though)
-passenger doesn't have same seat features as driver
-Audio not as good as Mark Levinson system (bass tighter in GS)
-Not as many seat memory positions and none for the passenger.
-no suspension adjustments
-no parking sensors

I wish the audio was better but maybe I just need to tweak it more. The rest are really just nit pics. I really like the car so far.
Old 02-17-12 | 01:41 PM
nvslm
Driver School Candidate

I like the interior of the TL alot but definitely not a huge fan of the exterior. Also maybe it just me but I actually prefer the look of the new TSX over the previous generation. I find that new one is more aggressive compare to last gen.