Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I need a small SUV

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-11, 10:15 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I need a small SUV

I need a small SUV to go back and forth to work, and take my dogs to the dog park. I was looking at the Honda CRV (2002) with 107,000 miles for about 7K

Or the Toyota Rav4 for about the same money, but my auto mechanic said the Rav4 was built better and less transmission issues.

I would consider the Honda Element but I'm not sure how comfortable they are to drive everyday, but I like the space and fuel economy.

I really like the CRV but need to think this through. The small suv 4 cyl are going for more money right now due to the high fuel prices.

Any thoughts. TIA
Old 09-07-11, 10:47 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would use your listed RX. You may also consider Subaru Outback.
Old 09-07-11, 10:52 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Friend of mine got a 2005 Element that she uses as a DD. It hasn't given her any issues in the 2 years she has had it.
Old 09-07-11, 12:52 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Rav4's do have transmission problems. Some of the older RX's had transmission problems too, not sure if the transmissions where the same. CR-V is no better though, my girlfriends sister sold her CR-V and a week later the buyer came back furious that the transmission suddenly died on him. I've personally had bad experiences with Honda auto transmissions, haven't had any personal issues with Toyota transmission but i've read complaints on the Rav4 & RX before.

Consumer complaints on the Rav4 transmission:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/.../transmission/
Old 09-07-11, 01:24 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

I like my Rav4. Yeah, it doesn't have luxury material qualities; but the V6 is strong and relatively fuel efficient, plenty of room (I've fit a Pilates table in it, as well as a motorcycle once), city-based-utility appropriate, a confident ride for an SUV/crossover, and easy maintenance. Although it seats five, I've fit eight people comfortably.

It's an efficient errand runner and daily driver. I add 20k miles annually.

Rumor has it that the next generation Rav4 will be a 4-banger and hybrid only. They're getting rid of the V6. Currently, the V6 only has a 1mpg penalty over the 4-cylinder. That ain't a bad trade-off for an engine option with almost 100hp more than the smaller displacement.

Have you thought of a wagon in lieu of an SUV? Perhaps something like a Subaru Outback or a Toyota Venza?
Old 09-07-11, 01:29 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Yeah, you can put a motorcycle in it...

Old 09-07-11, 01:37 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG! That's hilarious. for ****s and grins I looked at s used cadillac SRX for 7,000. 125 miles. nice car for not to much money.
Old 09-07-11, 02:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Ford Eacape has also been a decent performer
Old 09-07-11, 02:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
The Rav4's do have transmission problems. Some of the older RX's had transmission problems too, not sure if the transmissions where the same. CR-V is no better though, my girlfriends sister sold her CR-V and a week later the buyer came back furious that the transmission suddenly died on him. I've personally had bad experiences with Honda auto transmissions, haven't had any personal issues with Toyota transmission but i've read complaints on the Rav4 & RX before.

Consumer complaints on the Rav4 transmission:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/.../transmission/
it is pretty weird how 2002 on that site has 400 problems while 2004 has 1... I dont remember that being reality.
Old 09-07-11, 03:02 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Escape or Mariner are good options especially in hybrid trim. But I would go for a Range Rover Sport
Old 09-07-11, 03:26 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jimxo
OMG! That's hilarious. for ****s and grins I looked at s used cadillac SRX for 7,000. 125 miles. nice car for not to much money.
Run, don't walk away from a SRX. The 3.6L V6 has serious oil usage issues and timing chain failures. I had a leased SRX and it spent more time in the shop with other, mainly minor issues than any car I've driven in the past 20 years. The only way I would consider a used SRX is if I personally knew the previous owner and knew he kept the oil topped up.
Old 09-07-11, 06:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxo
I need a small SUV to go back and forth to work, and take my dogs to the dog park. I was looking at the Honda CRV (2002) with 107,000 miles for about 7K

I would consider the Honda Element but I'm not sure how comfortable they are to drive everyday, but I like the space and fuel economy.
The Element and CR-V are the same vehicle, chassis and powertrain-wise. The bodies and interiors, of course are different. The Element is noted for its easy-to-clean, rubber floor-coverings and waterproof seat-fabric....which may be helpful if you are going to carry hair-shedding dogs around.

Or the Toyota Rav4 for about the same money, but my auto mechanic said the Rav4 was built better and less transmission issues.
According to Consumer Reports, all three vehicles....RAV4, Element, and CR-V....have better-than-average reliablity records, especially the older ones you would be looking at. But, of course, check out any used-vehicle as well as you can, and, if possible, get a CarFax report.
Old 09-07-11, 07:08 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Element and CR-V are the same vehicle, chassis and powertrain-wise. The bodies and interiors, of course are different. The Element is noted for its easy-to-clean, rubber floor-coverings and waterproof seat-fabric....which may be helpful if you are going to carry hair-shedding dogs around.

thats what i was going to say too
element is easier to clean, meant for people who have pets or a more active lifestyle

interior arrangements make it easy to get things in and out too apparently
good choice if you have a big dog
Old 09-08-11, 03:57 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

I considered the Element, but it was a bit too tall for my wife to transfer into from her wheelchair. The only real negative I've read from Element owners is that the waterproof fabric used on the seats tends to get hot on long trips.
Old 09-08-11, 06:13 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

According to Consumer Reports, all three vehicles....RAV4, Element, and CR-V....have better-than-average reliablity records, especially the older ones you would be looking at. But, of course, check out any used-vehicle as well as you can, and, if possible, get a CarFax report.
True! but the ride is a little different too... Element is definitely a little more rough, but certainly nothing horrible.

We are on our 2nd Element for two reasons, the wife is a gardener, and we have a dog. Other things that are great about it is the rear seats come completely out(or you can fold them up against side windows) and it holds a LOT! You would not believe the amount of plants the wife has squeezed into that thing....
OP, If you have any questions about the Element, feel free to PM me
good luck!

Quick Reply: I need a small SUV