Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota teases FT86 II Concept (video)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-11, 08:42 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
What is the point of showing a concept if you don't produce it.....the new GS is nice but not close to the concept at all. Lexus use a totally different headlight <--bug disappointment!!! No wonder Mecedes, Audi, & BMW are out selling Lexus!!
Cars take time from concepts to production

The fastest car from concept to production was the Avalon that Toyota did, and that took 18 months, down from 29.5 months.

This car is on track for average time from concept to production with an all new parts and platform, so I think it is fine they are doing things right and not slapping parts together just to have a car built
Old 09-07-11, 11:47 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My next toy.
Old 09-08-11, 12:26 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Disappointment for you. They are getting this car right and it takes time. If you want a 1/2 assed rush job, the compeititon can supply that.
They are showing, what, the fourth concept of the car? For a car releasing next year, you'd think they'd show the production version already which is what people are unhappy about this announcement. Also, people were expecting the production model to be shown at Frankfurt. As it is, showing yet another concept will just disappoint fans and interested customers (not to mention, provoke the haters) after the production version is released. It's just seems to me like a bait-and-switch move.
Old 09-08-11, 02:55 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd rather wait and have a good final product than half assed car rushed into production that's half assed like Mike said.

Last edited by Justin2JZ; 09-08-11 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-08-11, 03:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai
They are showing, what, the fourth concept of the car? For a car releasing next year, you'd think they'd show the production version already which is what people are unhappy about this announcement. Also, people were expecting the production model to be shown at Frankfurt. As it is, showing yet another concept will just disappoint fans and interested customers (not to mention, provoke the haters) after the production version is released. It's just seems to me like a bait-and-switch move.
well to build a car takes a while... this car started in 2009 so they are doing it really fast, even by today's standards.

So question here is - to have NO information until production version, or to have concepts showing the progress of the car.

I would rather have concepts, thank you very much.
Old 09-08-11, 04:07 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well said, so I don't see the point in complaining, just be patient. It'll pay off.
Old 09-08-11, 04:15 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

They have long stated that the production model will be shown at TMS in japan at the end of the year just before it goes into production. Jesus, people these days are so "Gimmie it now" Sometimes I wish the goddammed internet didn't exist. This car started development in 2007, first concept in 2009. It's on track for a completely normal development cycle, and this as xiox said, on a new platform with new parts.

The car is going to be a Toyota in the rest of the world, last I checked, Frankfurt is in "the rest of the world" so they won't be showing a scion there (not to mention that the scion concept is a one off...the production version ain't gonna look like that)

**steps off soapbox and calms down**
Old 09-08-11, 01:59 PM
RaceSC300
Rookie

Originally Posted by mordecai
A bait and swith with what? You need to calm down. It is not like they promised (I don't remember them promising anything, just internet speculation) a production version and then annouced they are scrapping the whole program.

Be patient and let them make an excellent product. Or go buy a Hyundai Gensis.
Old 09-08-11, 02:15 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

I don't like Hyundais. In fact, I they're one of my least favorite brands. Although I do appreciate them for the competition they're providing.

And I stand corrected, I thought it was Frankfurt they were going to reveal the production model. Forgot there is Tokyo Motor Show after Frankfurt.
Old 09-08-11, 02:22 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

It's really not about being impatient, it's about how the concepts/teasers have been put out and their frequency.

It would be better to have a few press releases with engineers/drivers providing glimpses of how things are coming along compared with the multiple variations of concepts. When your concept has a "II" after it, that's an indication that the cat was let out of the bag a bit early.

It seems other companies just follow the pattern of having a high-styled concept with a toned-down production version showing up months (or even years) later without the various amalgamations in-between given the full press treatment.
Old 09-08-11, 02:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Alucard
It's really not about being impatient, it's about how the concepts/teasers have been put out and their frequency.

It would be better to have a few press releases with engineers/drivers providing glimpses of how things are coming along compared with the multiple variations of concepts. When your concept has a "II" after it, that's an indication that the cat was let out of the bag a bit early.

It seems other companies just follow the pattern of having a high-styled concept with a toned-down production version showing up months (or even years) later without the various amalgamations in-between given the full press treatment.
so rather to have concepts during development, during which car changes, you would rather have.... nothing? Because thats only other thing that happens.

there was plenty of engineer talk on FT-86 and several members of communities were invited to special events where they talked only about engineering behind it.

but in this business, things are set in stone few months before production starts, so no, you can not know everything about the car one year before it start selling.
Old 09-08-11, 02:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I saw a test mule this morning on the way to work. All the manufacturers do their hot weather testing in AZ so we get to see all the new model before they come out every summer. The thing is beautiful. Even with those white circular stickers all over the body of the car you can still tell the car has some very nice lines. They are going to sell a ton of these things
Old 09-08-11, 03:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

plus only reason we had this much talk about FT-86 is because Toyota does not sell any similar cars right now... so that was the luxury they could afford.

with next gen, it will be closely guarded secret, just like with their cars of today, where you get to see Camry one month before it goes on sale. And nobody knows or talks about ES, and the damn thing is coming within 6 months.
Old 09-08-11, 03:08 PM
xboostx
Lead Lap

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2011...rs-86-concept/
Old 09-08-11, 03:21 PM
VIPG35
Lead Lap

Come out already......

Quick Reply: Toyota teases FT86 II Concept (video)