Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 benz CLS

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-11, 03:05 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen many old and new CLSs on the road and EVERY time I catch myself doing several takes to get a glimpse as it drives by.
Old 09-10-11, 03:23 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Add in the S Class is so much classier than the LS.
That one I just don't see. Some guy on campus has a black S550 parked daily in the parking lot and it doesn't look too great to me. When I first saw it and was approaching it I almost completely ignored it because it looked like a C-class but as I got closer I was surprised that it's an S-class.

The rear is my least favorite part.

IMO the old one looked much more elegant and classier for its time:

Not sure if it's just me but I liked older Mercedes designs a lot better than the new ones, especially the E-class and S-class. These were once some of my favorite cars and now just "meh".
Old 09-10-11, 03:30 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
That one I just don't see. Some guy on campus has a black S550 parked daily in the parking lot and it doesn't look too great to me. When I first saw it and was approaching it I almost completely ignored it because it looked like a C-class but as I got closer I was surprised that it's an S-class.

Not sure if it's just me but I liked older Mercedes designs a lot better than the new ones, especially the E-class and S-class. These were once some of my favorite cars and now just "meh".
The S Class definitely needs the AMG package.Too plain without it.
I don't like the E Class sedan but love the E Class coupe.
Old 12-11-12, 10:49 PM
flyfl1pguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

reading old threads is hilarious! I would get this CLS in a heartbeat if i can.
Old 12-12-12, 12:05 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Seen new CLS the other day. I think the old one is a much better looking car. The new one looks greats, but design is weak. They tried so hard to make the design pop with LED light, but it doesn't do it for me. Went to Lexus dealer recently, seen new LS in the showroom, it was a much better looking can than pre-MMC LS and new CLS IMO. Spindle grill in the new LS really does it for me.
Old 12-12-12, 07:05 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I know some of the styling of MB models is controversial but I actually find that MB cars are one of the few lines of luxury of cars that actually LOOK like something wealthy (and let's be honest, that's pretty much the goal of luxury car makers; to appeal to the wealthy and affluent) people drive. So many others look like better-fitted out versions of what could pass as mainstream cars and that includes Lexus and Infiniti.
Old 12-12-12, 08:08 AM
LexFather

Maybe I'm biased since I have extensive seat time with the CLS 63 but I find the design amazing. In pics I hated it and preferred the w219 which I thought was one of the most unique and cleanest designs around. I agree the current CLS is more fussy but far more aggressive and masculine. I could drive it every day, it is amazing.

Build quality is amazing and everything inside feels expensive. Space is great up front, not great in the rear but not bad either. It drives well too and the adjustable suspension makes a big difference, AMG mode really turns things up a notch. Comfort (C) is really the best setting to me for most driving and it includes the stop/start which I think all cars should have. Makes no sense for the engine to run at a light or while idling.

I do admit the stock models the styling might not be for everyone.

Old 12-12-12, 08:31 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the interior with black or carbon trim is amazing and often over looked as people focus on the exterior
Old 12-12-12, 11:09 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I love my bosses 550, but after seeing a 63 with a matte paint job and red interior my heart is sold. Even the extra aesthetics and exhaust note are enough to induce you Still love my 2-door S-class though
Old 12-12-12, 05:00 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

My cousin recently purchased a new one. I like the look of the previous gen better, but it's still a very nice car. My biggest complaint is space; I'm surprised that such a large car has such little usable interior space. The rear seats are tight, and putting in a child seat makes the front passenger seat useless. I didn't think the front seating area is very spacious either. To me it seems that a current 5 series (and possibly a current 3 series) has more interior room.

I would opt for an S class instead.
Old 12-12-12, 05:51 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the S class sells more than the CLS but I would take either in a heartbeat. Will have to wait until the new S class comes out to see which one I like better.

But the LED headlights are gorgeous at night.
Old 12-12-12, 11:05 PM
flyfl1pguy

Drove CLS63 the other day and all i could say is "WOW"! Such an amazing car and very, very fast!
Older gen CLS is not that bad as well, but once you drive 63, you'll want one!
Old 12-13-12, 07:03 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The rear is my least favorite part.
".
Agreed, the rear on the previous generation S class looked elegant. Now, while the design language used on the rear across the face lifted E, CLS, and S classes are consistent (swoopy, soft curves) I think it was uninspired and too bulky on the S...

Last edited by amphipri0n; 12-13-12 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-13-12, 07:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by flyfl1pguy
Drove CLS63 the other day and all i could say is "WOW"! Such an amazing car and very, very fast!
MB's always looked good pimped.
Old 12-13-12, 10:20 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by flyfl1pguy
]
Yup. Its an amazing car. Funny that both Jordan and Jav have the same color.

Quick Reply: 2012 benz CLS