Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should they do?
Kill it with fire
31.11%
Redesign it and keep car based
24.44%
Redesign it and turn it into a real truck with a V-8 option
35.56%
Go back in time and add a beak
8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Why Honda's Ridgeline pickup is driving off into the sunset

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-11, 09:35 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lil4X
The Ridgeline is an outstanding concept that delivers exactly what the majority of suburban cowboys need in a truck, decent, if not outstanding economy, first-class utility, comfort, and flexibility for running those manly trips to the big-box store or bringing home a load of brie for the family.

Unfortunately, and typical of Honda, they are building what we NEED and not what we WANT. Suburban cowboys want the IMAGE of a pickup truck, you know, big tires, bulging flanks, massive ground clearance rugged good looks, the machismo of a cowboy or an ironworker with the horsepower to back it up. Honda fed all of the demographic data for the average white-collar pickup owner into the computer, and they got the perfect set of data points out. What they missed was the soul of the pickup in American culture. The Ridgeline may have cupholders but the folks who laid out that cockpit probably never considered them being used as restraining mechanisms for your spit cup.

The pickup is the preferred ride of the Marlborough Man in all of us, the free-ranging, two-fisted, hard drinking, harder loving man composed largely of independence and grit. The Tundra almost got it right once it got to a "full sized" pickup platform, but it's still a little too effete for most of the demographic that places image above function.

Ask yourself, "What would John Wayne drive?" Do you honestly think it's a Ridgeline? Even my daughter who desperately wants a pickup won't consider a Ridgeline. "This is TEXAS", she says with a poorly-concealed sneer. That kinda sums it up.

What Honda produced is a tall minivan with the third-row seat out in the open air. A big-box body on roller skate wheels with a V6 and auto tranny. Nevermind it's an AWD, or that it does have a vestigial bed out back, it may be perfect for running to the store for a case of beer and a bag of charcoal on Saturday morning, but it won't gain you much respect in the parking lot of the local honky-tonk on Saturday night. Honda totally misjudged the market.
Lil4X is right. I really wanted the Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited not because I needed the 10,000 lb. towing capacity nor the legroom for 6 footers in the rear seat - I wanted it because the 5.7l engine howls when you stomp on the gas and would give me the ability to run over tree huggers in hybrids. But the Tundra I test drove at Longo listed "8.8 mpg" on the display, and it would have been a tight fit in my garage.

I ended up buying a used Ridgeline. It works great, fits kids in the back, groceries in the trunk, furniture in the bed, and will tow a small boat or car. It's not very fast, and I do wish the mileage was a little bit better, but all in all it's great for what it is. However, the only love I get in it is from contractors I know who carry tools and want the in-bed trunk.

Sorry Mike, I'm getting a little too practical in my old age.
Old 09-12-11, 09:59 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I think what the Ridgeline needs is improved styling and a powertrain that offers over 30 MPG while retaining its utility.

ding!

correct answer

Honda abandoned the thing for some dumb reason instead of revising/improving it.
Old 09-12-11, 10:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The problem, IMO, is not so much with the Ridgeline itself, nor, IMO, does it need an "update"....there, I disagree with some of the other posters. In many ways, it was (and is) the ideal mid-sized V6 pickup...certainly the best one I've ever seen.

The basic problem with trucks of the Ridgeline's size is that the American public, as a whole, just prefers traditional full-sized trucks to compact and mid-size ones. That's why Ford recently dropped the slow-selling Ranger, Mazda dropped its Ranger-clone B-Series trucks several years ago, and GM is dropping the slow-selling (and poorly-done) Colorado/Canyon mid-sized trucks. Toyota, in America, for years, tried marketing mid-sized trucks with V6 engines...the T-series and later 1Gen Tundra. It simply didn't work. Toyota called the 1Gen Tundra "full-size" when it was, in fact, mid-to-3/4 size, even with a Lexus-derived 4.6L V8. The public wasn't fooled....and the Tundra didn't really begin to sell until the true full-size 2006 2Gen model debuted....and, by then, it was plagued with shoddy materials, cost-cutting, and declining build-quality.
Old 09-12-11, 04:37 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two of my friends have Ridgelines and both love their trucks. But they're suburbanites. They need trucks for their run to Costco or bringing their kids to the baseball/soccer matches. Personally, the features of the truck are fairly impressive with the spacious seating in the cab and the versatile bed. But I think, as has been mentioned, it's a niche clientele. Those that wanted it have one. With no new updates, they're not looking to turn it in for the exact same truck with fewer miles. Good truck, poor design/marketing.
Old 09-12-11, 04:56 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

The Honda Ridgeline is just plain ugly IMHO. It doesn't look like a very manly truck at all. I just could NOT imagine rolling up on a job site in one. Growing up, I did a lot of cabinet installations and the like with my dad, and we always used our 92 F350 crew cab, with a long bed. It has been a very faithful truck, and while it being from the 90's, and the very very base model(not one option ordered on this truck), it has been everything we could ask of it. Of course, our situation is different from a suburbanite. We couldn't use a Ridgeline because we have even loaded our F350 to the hilt. We don't drive it a whole lot anymore, but when we do, it's usually got at least a ton of dirt in the bed, or an occasional pallet of bricks. Something I wouldn't feel comfortable doing in a smaller rig. I just feel that if your needs are small enough that a Ridgeline can get it done, do you need a truck?
Old 09-12-11, 05:00 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Let's face it, I think Honda designers drink lots of Sake and then play can-you-top-this with ugly designs:

"Behold the Element!"

"Hah, hold you nose, the Ridgeline!"

"Please turn your head before you hurl, here's the Crosstour!"
Old 09-12-11, 05:55 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Arent these Ridgelines kinda expensive too? Why not just buy a Tacoma or something?
Old 09-12-11, 07:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pvmike1
Lil4X is right. I really wanted the Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited not because I needed the 10,000 lb. towing capacity nor the legroom for 6 footers in the rear seat - I wanted it because the 5.7l engine howls when you stomp on the gas and would give me the ability to run over tree huggers in hybrids. But the Tundra I test drove at Longo listed "8.8 mpg" on the display, and it would have been a tight fit in my garage.

I ended up buying a used Ridgeline. It works great, fits kids in the back, groceries in the trunk, furniture in the bed, and will tow a small boat or car. It's not very fast, and I do wish the mileage was a little bit better, but all in all it's great for what it is. However, the only love I get in it is from contractors I know who carry tools and want the in-bed trunk.

Sorry Mike, I'm getting a little too practical in my old age.
Actually Mike I'm unleashed now....so lets sing together

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo9AH4vG2wA

Old 09-12-11, 11:23 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I can only add that of the owners I know, they absolutely LOVE their truck/car/SUV.
Old 09-13-11, 03:29 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lamar411
Arent these Ridgelines kinda expensive too? Why not just buy a Tacoma or something?
Ridgelines are relatively expensive, but they hold their value really well. Used ones were cheaper in '09, but limited numbers in the preowned market has driven their values up.

When I was shopping for mine, I found a certified preowned one at a Honda dealer that had been advertised for a couple months and was significantly discounted. The dealership had actually sold it to another dealer for $1000 more than their list price, so I snatched it up before the flatbed arrived to take it to the other dealership.

Tacomas are nice trucks too, but I really liked the in-bed trunk and carlike ride. Also, being in LA meant that it would see very limited off road use (I hear the Ridgeline and its independent rear suspension works great on road, not as good off road). Like anthrax144 mentioned, its probably best for suburbanites.

It ain't pretty, but it works great.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Actually Mike I'm unleashed now....so lets sing together

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo9AH4vG2wA
Wait, I thought you were just recently leashed?
Old 09-15-11, 05:16 PM
MikeSC
Driver School Candidate

If it's made by Honda it can't be very good.I have a 2006 Pilot that is quickly becoming the worst vehicle I have ever owned....and I;m 64 yrs. young!
Old 09-15-11, 06:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pvmike1
R

It ain't pretty, but it works great.

Wait, I thought you were just recently leashed?
No I'm still leashed that way. We'll chat on NSXPrime

Old 09-15-11, 07:04 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Only good thing about the ridgeline was the tailgate... Whats with these 'ubran' trucks nowdays, the beds are too small to be useful... Give me a F-150 xtra cab with a long bed anyday~
Old 09-16-11, 03:30 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Bland, like all Honda cars.
Old 09-16-11, 08:30 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The basic problem with trucks of the Ridgeline's size is that the American public, as a whole, just prefers traditional full-sized trucks to compact and mid-size ones. Toyota, in America, for years, tried marketing mid-sized trucks with V6 engines...the T-series and later 1Gen Tundra. It simply didn't work.
um, you know toyota makes another mid-size truck, right?

Quick Reply: Why Honda's Ridgeline pickup is driving off into the sunset