Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: The new Face of Lexus? Your thoughts?
I love it, bold and gives Lexus a face
40.35%
I hate it and/or don't like it
18.42%
I don't mind but I prefer Lexus previous styling
12.28%
Indifferent, don't like/don't hate
8.77%
I hate anything Lexus does and am glad there is this option
0.88%
Thank GOD its not that dumbass Beak
10.53%
Still undecided, haven't made up mind
8.77%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

The Lexus "Spindle" Grill thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 09:54 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
right. they were just never connected
right, not directly with a chrome piece, but usually by curves in the body work
Old 08-22-12, 10:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
the spindle grill is not actually new to the auto industry.

On some levels, grills are almost always \ / shaped, and lower fascias are almost always / \
i don't think that matters. lexus has made a very explicit and strong 'mirrored-trapezoid' style to bring great consistency and distinctiveness across the line. not everyone likes it but at least it is distinctive. i don't think they needed to do the spindle, but i'm fine with it, although find some implementations nicer aesthetically than others.

plus, since toyota started as a weaving company, a spindle fits!
Old 10-02-13, 10:33 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will agree with the quality of materials on the inside, because it does look at feel cheap in some areas. I will also agree with the rear bumper bottom plastic, it could have been done better.

I will disagree with the exterior looks. I LOVE the direction they're headed with the spindle grille and edgier design, and hope they continue with it.

As far as the engine bay covers, I can live with or without it. I feel it gets in the way when I do my own maintenance such as adjusting the headlights, replacing filter, getting fuse plyer, etc due to removing the clips and covers, it's a hassle. Yet I like how it looks when it's covered.
Old 10-02-13, 03:12 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 427 Likes on 351 Posts

I'm pretty disappointed with most of the spindle grille Lexus'. The only one that seemed like a big step forward was the GS. The new IS looks cheap and it's pretty ugly inside and out compared to the first two generations. I find the ES to be ugly and I hear that the interior is cheap but I haven't checked one out myself. The LS has a very nice interior but the 2007-2012 LS had a better looking exterior.

Overall I'm not impressed with their new direction.
Old 10-02-13, 04:16 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
Now that I've had the chance to experience and drive the new Lexus cars with the new spindl grill/sporty philosophy, well the 3IS to be precise. It drives nice and all, but I felt they are lacking in that special refinements & finesse Lexus has come to be known for.
Disagree, the LS600hL with the spindle grill is still pretty refine and luxurious
Old 10-18-13, 08:55 AM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The 3IS feels better than it looks. Better than all rivals. 2IS looked like a souped up Camry though
Old 10-19-13, 11:21 AM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the 3IS exterior but I also don't like it. It's definitely a fresh new look which I like but the split headlights? That's just ugly IMO. I also don't like how the tail lights taper off almost onto the fenders. The rear view shot of a 2IS looks so much better than the 3IS IMO.
Old 10-27-13, 08:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
The answer is no. Period. Especially if anyone has driven the latest LS. The new Lexus and direction is fantastic. Are there areas of opportunity? You bet, just like the L-finesse cars.
I have to agree with you, the new direction of Lexus is great. The new styling is pretty good, I like it in GX, LX, CT, GS and LS form, but RX, ES and IS are nothing great.

The materials are great in the top end trim levels but lower trim models are not the best.

I always thought the 2IS was fantastic when fully loaded but not good on base or mid levels.

Same thing for the current line up. But the styling is finally where it is at, I used to hate the LS460 bit with the new look, I simply love it.
Old 10-27-13, 10:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I own both.the 4GS interior and materials blows about the 3GS..... Really confused how anyone could feel differently.
I have a colleague that bought a CPO 2011 GS the same day I bought my 2013 (we took delivery about 5 minutes apart). He doesn't like the new spindle grille style, so he prefers how his looks outside and thats a valid opinion IMHO, the 3GS was a great looking car.

BUT, when he sat in mine he was mesmerized by what an improvement the 4GS' interior is over his 3GS interior. His exact words "If they could only put this interior in my car".

Nobody objective would come to the conclusion that the 3GS interior is higher quality or "more plush" than the 4GS interior. To me that opinion is absolute proof that the poster is biased. I can see how someone would feel the 2IS was nicer inside than the 3IS, but theres no basis for that statement with the 4GS vs the 3GS.
Old 04-07-14, 10:02 PM
jsanders
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spindle grill - love it or hate it?

What are folks thoughts on the Lexus spindle grill? I hated it at first in the pics, but now Im starting to like it. The hate it then love it is especially strong on the IS. I thought it looked so ugly in pics, but looks great in person. Wasnt sure this was possible.
Old 04-07-14, 10:13 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love it on the NX, love it on the RC, like it on the IS, like it on the RX, dislike it on the ES, dislike it on the GS, hate it on the LS.
Old 04-07-14, 10:52 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I love it on LS, IS, All of the SUV's especially the LX, it's okay on the ES. I think it's the worst on the GS, but it's understandable since that's the first iteration of it.
Old 04-07-14, 11:00 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I like it. I thought the last couple generations of LS were kind of boring. The 4LS needed this facelift.
Old 04-07-14, 11:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Cannot wait until the GS goes Full Spindle !
Old 04-07-14, 11:51 PM
GH5T
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks to much like the Audi front end.

Quick Reply: The Lexus "Spindle" Grill thread