Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: The new Face of Lexus? Your thoughts?
I love it, bold and gives Lexus a face
40.35%
I hate it and/or don't like it
18.42%
I don't mind but I prefer Lexus previous styling
12.28%
Indifferent, don't like/don't hate
8.77%
I hate anything Lexus does and am glad there is this option
0.88%
Thank GOD its not that dumbass Beak
10.53%
Still undecided, haven't made up mind
8.77%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

The Lexus "Spindle" Grill thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-14, 10:14 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by flyfishman
agree that the GX look dreadful with the spindle - needed to be much more tame
But it's because of the new face which is the only thing that change stylistically on the outside for MY 2014 , the GX's sales percentage has increased in the triple digits. The buyer is not wrong so Lexus has done a fantastic job with the GX to extend its life a little more.
Old 04-11-14, 10:31 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
But it's because of the new face which is the only thing that change stylistically on the outside for MY 2014 , the GX's sales percentage has increased in the triple digits. The buyer is not wrong so Lexus has done a fantastic job with the GX to extend its life a little more.
I'm no fan of the interior plastics or the V8's numbers but I do enjoy the GX's spindle very much
Old 04-11-14, 08:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well since it's something you might see every time you walk up to the car it's kinda important, plus if, like f-sport, it's black, huge, and very 'in your face' especially on a light colored vehicle, you can hardly miss it.

and 'aggressive' is a good thing why?
Because Lexus for years was called bland. For years other companies ripped off their cues but with no defining style Lexus rarely got credit.

It's not for everyone yet sales are up. Now a Lexus is distinctive no matter 100 feet away or 10 feet away. Clearly consumers and Lexus owners love the looks.

Old 04-12-14, 07:20 AM
Alius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Because Lexus for years was called bland. For years other companies ripped off their cues but with no defining style Lexus rarely got credit.

It's not for everyone yet sales are up. Now a Lexus is distinctive no matter 100 feet away or 10 feet away. Clearly consumers and Lexus owners love the looks.
^ this. Money talks and sales are up so what does that say about the new face of Lexus?

I keep getting compliments on the 3IS everywhere I go especially gas stations and people doing double-takes and I'm sure I'm not the only 3IS owner that gets this.

Good job, Lexus!
Old 04-12-14, 07:33 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly. The buyers have spoken, sales worldwide have never been higher. Lexus took a very bold risk with this new Spindle and its paying off very well. If you read Euro reviews they are raving about the styling in a sea of sameness, they really seem to like it. Clearly consumers have spoken with their money.

Will some not like it and not buy it? Sure. Lexus clearly didn't target them lol. Lexus has stated they are aware their new styling will divide opinion and cause people to hate/not like it and they are fine with it. As another poster stated, people are taking about it, it causes emotion.

They are extremely styled, almost concept car in nature. I don't think people really appreciate what is being done here. Audi grills are nice but very conservative and not 3 dimensional like the spindle, its just a grill whereas the spindle is the entire front end. The separate LED housing is a nightmare for engineers and for cost, its amazing it met production. Some luxury brands still don't even have a LED strip, Lexus has a complete separate strip in the bumper on some cars, its really crazy.

I also like the fact while they all share the same "spindle" shape they are not the same, they are all different and distinct.

Like I told Lexus in Japan, I never had an issue with Lexus styling in the past but this new shape is very emotional. My favorite is on the LS, my least favorite is the GX.
The spindle grill's attractiveness seems finicky, you have to get it just right and it has to work with the entire car. This has resulted in some hits (RC, NX) and some misses (GS, GX).

I remember when the LF-Gh concept came out, no one believed Lexus would go to production with the grill and lighting combo:

Can't wait until they refresh the GS to finally look as intended.
Old 04-12-14, 07:36 AM
SexyElaine
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alius
^ this. Money talks and sales are up so what does that say about the new face of Lexus?

I keep getting compliments on the 3IS everywhere I go especially gas stations and people doing double-takes and I'm sure I'm not the only 3IS owner that gets this.

Good job, Lexus!
I'd have to agree with double takes and folks just coming up to chit chat about the look of my 3IS I figured that its been since last summer that I've had this and the " newness " of the facade especially on the F Sport would had worn off by now .............. nope I was wrong !?!?

Not for nothing but I still rarely see a F Sport in my area thus probably it still garnishes the attention its getting yay
Old 04-12-14, 08:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'm no fan of the interior plastics or the V8's numbers but I do enjoy the GX's spindle very much
i also think GX looks much better now, drastic change for the better... and numbers show it. Facelifted car trippling its numbers.... nuff said.
Old 04-12-14, 10:47 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by spwolf
i also think GX looks much better now, drastic change for the better... and numbers show it. Facelifted car trippling its numbers.... nuff said.
Add Spindle
Triple sales numbers of GX
"Why didn't we think of this sooner?! "

Old 04-12-14, 10:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Add Spindle
Triple sales numbers of GX
"Why didn't we think of this sooner?! "

sure... although probably more like dramatic design vs boring

:-)
Old 04-12-14, 11:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The spindle grill's attractiveness seems finicky, you have to get it just right and it has to work with the entire car. This has resulted in some hits (RC, NX) and some misses (GS, GX).

I remember when the LF-Gh concept came out, no one believed Lexus would go to production with the grill and lighting combo:

Lexus LF Gh Hybrid Concept in motion - YouTube

Duly noted. CONSUMERS have spoken, people with these new Lexus models. People without them talking about how ugly they are...

Let em talk

Old 04-12-14, 12:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Duly noted. CONSUMERS have spoken, people with these new Lexus models. People without them talking about how ugly they are...

Let em talk
it is pretty hillarious when people call NX or RC boring
Old 04-12-14, 12:06 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

That's what I've been waiting on
Old 04-12-14, 12:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

That's what I've been waiting on
of course!
Old 04-12-14, 12:55 PM
LexFather

GS F

Woot!!!!

Old 04-12-14, 01:26 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like it on some models, but not all models. i think it translates better on sedans.

Quick Reply: The Lexus "Spindle" Grill thread