Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford : Eight will be six, six will be four, and now four can be three.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-11, 08:23 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford : Eight will be six, six will be four, and now four can be three.

The auto industry is hoping to teach consumers new math: Eight will be six, six will be four, and now four can be three.

Ford Motor Co. this week pulled the wraps off what it says is the smallest engine it has ever built: a three-cylinder, 1-liter engine destined for a Ford Focus next year.

The engine is shorter than a legal size sheet of paper, but Ford promises consumers they won't feel any difference from today's 1.6-liter engines when they step on the accelerator. The engine will produce 118 horsepower, compared to about 70 horsepower per liter on existing Ford four-cylinder engines, the company said.

Enlarge Image

Using sophisticated electronics and turbochargers that squeeze more power from a gallon of fuel, Ford, Volkswagen AG and other auto makers are out to challenge one of the key tenets of marketing cars through the years: There's no replacement for engine displacement.

Volkswagen is already marketing its three-cylinder Up compact car using a variation of the slogan from its 1959 U.S. launch of the Beetle. Along the streets around the Frankfurt auto show this week, VW has signs that read, in German, "small is big."

VW Chief Executive Martin Winterkorn said the Up is a key model for the company's plan to grow in the strategically important small-car segment. There will be versions tailored to the individual markets across the globe, such as India.

BMW AG recently showed its i8 concept car with a three-cylinder engine that is used to supplement the battery.

Selling a three-cylinder car in the U.S. could prove challenging. U.S consumers may be migrating away from V8 and V6 engines but the last time a three-cylinder was sold in the U.S. dates back to the 1990s with the Suzuki Swift and General Motors Co.'s Chevrolet Metro. GM dropped the Metro brand in 1997 as gasoline prices dropped and Americans' buying preferences moved to sport-utility vehicles and bigger cars.

"It will be tough," said Chrysler Group LLC Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne. "I know lawn mowers that have more displacement."

But Ford's top marketing chief Jim Farley said the move to small is on and the shift to smaller engines will be dramatic over the next several years. Its engine uses turbocharger and cast-iron block for performance.

"When I look at customer data in the U.S., I have never seen fuel economy more important than it is now," Mr. Farley said. "Fuel prices go up and down but customers now know at any time it could go above $4 a gallon."

Ford has witnessed this cylinder migration first hand. In August alone, 57% of the F-150 pickup trucks sold were equipped with V-6 engines over the V-8 version. Two to three years ago, almost no F-150s were sold without an eight-cylinder engine.

Andrew Fraser, gasoline powertrain director at Ford of Europe, said attracting customers to the three-cylinder will all come down to what he called the "and" factor.

"They don't have to compromise and they will get better fuel economy and they will get more power," Mr. Fraser said. "It is that `and' mentality."

Luxury car makers are also seeing a shift. Adrian Hallmark, global director of Jaguar Land Rover's Jaguar brand, says sales of the big Jaguar XJ sedan in China have increased to a pace of 4,000 a year from just 400 sold in 2010 since the company began offering a six-cylinder engine. Jaguar has also begun offering a 2.2 liter, four-cylinder diesel engine in its European XF models.

"We're not immune to the downsizing trend," Mr. Hallmark says, even though "Jaguar is a V-8 brand."

Jaguar's show car at the Frankfurt show: A low, fast-looking two-seat coupe called the CX-16 equipped with a six-cylinder engine with an electric booster to goose acceleration.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...312281548.html

Are you will to ditch your huge old 4cylinder for a tiny efficient turbo 3?
Old 09-14-11, 08:42 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

if the turbo 3 gives me similar power as a decent 4 and also improves mpg, I'm game. I would love to see a hybrid 4 in the next IS250.
Old 09-14-11, 11:56 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

So I guess the V8 in my LS460 is the new V10
Old 09-14-11, 02:28 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

"... the last time a three-cylinder was sold in the U.S. dates back to the 1990s with the Suzuki Swift and General Motors Co.'s Chevrolet Metro."

Oops, the author forgot about the Smart fourtwo which also has a 1.0L I-3 engine. Or maybe the sales numbers of the Smart are so low that it doesn't count as "sold in the U.S."
Old 09-14-11, 03:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

It was a Geo metro made by Chevy that was a 3 cylinder. I remember being blown away because my 4 cylinder civic was so slow. I could only imagine what a 3 cylinder feels like. Americans like torque and we dont like the raspy( engine is about to blow) sound we get when we redline a 4 cylinder.
Old 09-14-11, 03:14 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

turbo 3 should make some torque, usually anything w/ f.i makes great torque.
Old 09-14-11, 03:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

i would be a bit worried about putting big turbo on 1l 3cly engine... especially when you have non-japanese doing it.

i say first do the basic engine right and then decide to turbo it... its mpg figures are not "out of this world", and i bet they are even less impressive when that turbo is actually being use, unlike in your standard EU cycle where they have to accelerate 0-62mph in 42 seconds.
Old 09-14-11, 07:22 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crap, because of pressure from the enviro hippies, I can't imagine that in the near future, a BMW M5 might only have four cylinder engine attached with turbos.
Old 09-14-11, 07:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i would be a bit worried about putting big turbo on 1l 3cly engine... especially when you have non-japanese doing it.

i say first do the basic engine right and then decide to turbo it... its mpg figures are not "out of this world", and i bet they are even less impressive when that turbo is actually being use, unlike in your standard EU cycle where they have to accelerate 0-62mph in 42 seconds.
Ford's EcoBoost has proven to be reliable in many applications . The other two remain to be seen
Old 09-14-11, 10:22 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf

If anything its the Germans that know how to make a turbo charged car. How many Japanese turbo cars made vs how many German, almost every one has a turbo option.

Any who this isnt the 80's its not that hard to make a reliable turbo system you have after market companies that do a decent job.

Turbo's arent really a inhouse thing its ussualy borg warner and garret turbos that are put into most cars.
Old 09-14-11, 10:25 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Holy crap, because of pressure from the enviro hippies, I can't imagine that in the near future, a BMW M5 might only have four cylinder engine attached with turbos.
Don't laugh it off if F1 is considering big snail 4's why not BMW's M division XD
Old 09-15-11, 08:35 AM
MelF1fan
Driver

Originally Posted by bad co
Don't laugh it off if F1 is considering big snail 4's why not BMW's M division XD
Not any more actually...F1 is going Turbo V6's.

But i could never consider a 3 cylinder. I'd rather go electric then.