Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2012 Hyundai Veloster

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-11, 09:03 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who cares if it looks like the Megane? It can't be purchased in the US so the majority of people won't have a clue about the copying. It'll sell and looks good and unique. Hyundai has another home run here.
Old 09-21-11, 01:05 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
if "right thing" is to copy another design up to the wheel selection, put it on elantra chassis and give it an Accent engine, then call it sporty, then they did a great job. Add a sprinkle of steering slower than Prius, and it is "sport coupe" stuff of legends.
Not that I think this is a sports coupe (rather I think it's a genious marketing ploy that has a very similar formula as the Scion tC), but I don't know I would go so far as to call the steering "slow," especially having never driven one.

In fact, it has a "14.2:1 steering ratio, with 2.88 turns lock-to-lock." And a 23mm sway bar on a torsion beam is fairly heavy duty. With that weight and wheelbase, it will likely be lifting an inside rear tire and oversteering when pushed. Even a 19mm stabilizer is enough to push some oversteer in an otherwise stock Yaris. Now I'm not saying these are desirably traits, just saying that judgements (aside from power and aesthetics) are kinda moot right now. And I really doubt it's supposed to be going head-to-head with real Sports/Sporty cars. This has Scion xB/xD/tC competitor written all over it.
Old 09-21-11, 04:11 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dj.ctwatt
And a 23mm sway bar on a torsion beam is fairly heavy duty. With that weight and wheelbase, it will likely be lifting an inside rear tire and oversteering when pushed.
This would be impossible to predict, not knowing anything about the vehicles suspension dynamics, spring rates, shock valving, ride height, FR/RR weight distribution, tires, or center of gravity.
Old 09-21-11, 07:07 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

^ not gonna argue there. The was making huge assumptions. The main argument still stands about steering ratio and turns, lock-to-lock. Point is, nobody here can truly say unless they've driven one.
Old 09-21-11, 08:11 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Not that I think this is a sports coupe (rather I think it's a genious marketing ploy that has a very similar formula as the Scion tC), but I don't know I would go so far as to call the steering "slow," especially having never driven one.

In fact, it has a "14.2:1 steering ratio, with 2.88 turns lock-to-lock." And a 23mm sway bar on a torsion beam is fairly heavy duty. With that weight and wheelbase, it will likely be lifting an inside rear tire and oversteering when pushed. Even a 19mm stabilizer is enough to push some oversteer in an otherwise stock Yaris. Now I'm not saying these are desirably traits, just saying that judgements (aside from power and aesthetics) are kinda moot right now. And I really doubt it's supposed to be going head-to-head with real Sports/Sporty cars. This has Scion xB/xD/tC competitor written all over it.
Prius turns 2.7... Veloster 2.88.

it is objective measurment - Prius steering rack is quicker than Veloster's. They probably used elantra's or accent gear.
Old 09-21-11, 08:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by T0ked
Who cares if it looks like the Megane? It can't be purchased in the US so the majority of people won't have a clue about the copying. It'll sell and looks good and unique. Hyundai has another home run here.
you cant be unique if you copy someone else, lol. It can sell 100,000 copies per year, but it is still an blatant copy of another car released 3 years ago.
Old 09-21-11, 08:44 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

you cant be unique if you copy someone else, lol. It can sell 100,000 copies per year, but it is still an blatant copy of another car released 3 years ago.
It actually looks like the concept car that debuted 4 years ago...
Old 09-21-11, 08:45 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Yes, but if I recall correctly the Prius has nearly a nearly 20:1 ratio. I don't know... Don't really care. It's not a sports car and anyone who believes the marketing would be foolish. It's a well marketed car aimed at Scion and the "edgy" crowd. Dunno why everyone is so upset that this car exists, minus the understandable aesthetic criticisms.
Old 09-21-11, 08:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't really see that as a significant issue. Auto companies are in buisness to sell cars, please customers, and make money. If they can do that with original designs, fine. But if it takes a mee-too design, I don't see any problem with that.

And not only that, but one must consider that with the huge number of cars introduced over the years, just from the sheer weight of numbers, it is becoming harder and harder to come up with a truly original styling design. No matter what you come up with nowadays, the chances are high that it is going to look like somebody else's grille, fender, hood, rofline, trunk, etc......
Old 09-21-11, 09:28 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't really see that as a significant issue. Auto companies are in buisness to sell cars, please customers, and make money. If they can do that with original designs, fine. But if it takes a mee-too design, I don't see any problem with that.

And not only that, but one must consider that with the huge number of cars introduced over the years, just from the sheer weight of numbers, it is becoming harder and harder to come up with a truly original styling design. No matter what you come up with nowadays, the chances are high that it is going to look like somebody else's grille, fender, hood, rofline, trunk, etc......
So when Toyota/Lexus copies or allegedly copies, it's okay for the entire universe and Toyota/Lexus haters with the collective brain capacity of a grapefruit to post/blog/bash all about it. When Hyundai copies, oh, give them a pass. Ahhh,love the double standard.

I think its a nice entry but if Toyota came with this suspension all hell would break loose. Instead it gets a pass it seems. The auto world needs more 2 doors, quirky cars and this fits the bill. I wouldn't be caught dead in it but clearly they feel it will fill a gap in the lineup. So overall I think its a good addition to the lineup.

Old 09-21-11, 09:35 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

^ great posts by 1sick and mmarshall. Dunno if you were being sarcastic, but some Toyota's do come with that suspension set up. Front struts and rear torsion beams are the bread and butter of economy car suspensions.
Old 09-21-11, 10:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So when Toyota/Lexus copies or allegedly copies, it's okay for the entire universe and Toyota/Lexus haters with the collective brain capacity of a grapefruit to post/blog/bash all about it. When Hyundai copies, oh, give them a pass. Ahhh,love the double standard.
No double standard with me, Mike. My statement goes for Toyota, Hyundai, or any other auto company. You don't hear me bashing copy-cat designs, whether they are from Toyota, Hyundai, or anybody else. If I think something is good-looking or ugly, I'll say so purely on its own merits. As I said, it's just too difficult, nowadays, coming up with stuff that truly is different.

You'll probably laugh at this, but perhaps the most different-looking (and truly-original) design I've seen lately is the Corbin Sparrow mini-electric.

^ great posts by 1sick and mmarshall.
Thanks.

Dunno if you were being sarcastic, but some Toyota's do come with that suspension set up. Front struts and rear torsion beams are the bread and butter of economy car suspensions.
I agree that a suspension like that is OK for a bread-and-butter economy car, but a sport-oriented coupe, no matter what the nameplate, should probably have an IRS. An exception, of course, was the old Toyota Paseo coupe with a Tercel-derived beam-rear-axle, but the Paseo was clearly a budget-priced car, priced around 15K. Yes, I know the Mustang gets along perfectly well with a RWD live-axle, but Ford knows that a lot of Mustang owners, particularly with the V8, do burn-outs, and a live-axle can generally take that kind of punishment better than an IRS.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-21-11 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-21-11, 10:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall

everyone else tries hard to make something unique, while hyundai tries hard to copy everyone else :-).

In any case, rant was against writer on the blog who claimed it to be "unique"... it is certainly not unique.
Old 09-21-11, 10:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

^ great posts by 1sick and mmarshall. Dunno if you were being sarcastic, but some Toyota's do come with that suspension set up. Front struts and rear torsion beams are the bread and butter of economy car suspensions.
Yes... Corolla does. And it is not called sports coupe.

:-).
Old 09-21-11, 10:09 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

I agree. I always find it annoying that just because BMW's "hoffmeister kink" has a name, the original line was likely drawn by a caveman. Some things defy ownership.

All car designs should be expected to share some form of common language due to their basic function and what popular tastes dictate.

Quick Reply: Review: 2012 Hyundai Veloster