Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Test drove the 2012 Camry.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-11, 07:04 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i was going to say that LE is first Toyota in reasonable price range where base model does not look... base. Usually base models are crap and have a lot of essential stuff missing.

with this LE, if you want, get some alloy wheels for summer and you have yourself perfectly fine car for 23k.
True S,but most on the road will be the base LE.
A lot of car for the buck,though.
Old 09-22-11, 07:07 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

I agree with you on the hubcaps I'm not a big fan of the two tone seats either but overall the car looks nice for the segment it's in Thanks for the write up!
Old 09-22-11, 08:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
True S,but most on the road will be the base LE.
A lot of car for the buck,though.
thats why i think it looks fine - of course, if you dont like hubcaps, alloys are not really that expensive in the US.
Compared to previous LE, this looks more like XLE model.
Old 09-22-11, 11:21 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think they did a great job with the features and the interior, but the exterior looks like ***. It looks so plain and dull. I think I would still say the Hyundai looks much nicer. More modern, more style, more of a head turner. Why does Toyota always go with the frumpy look. I think I like the current gen camry styling much more than this
Old 09-22-11, 11:23 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys, I wasn't anticipating on the new Camry being there. I was actually at the dealer to inquire about a 2012 Sienna, so I didn't bring my real camera with me.

I also wanted to add that during my test drive on the terribly rough Ann Arbor/Detroit roads, there were no squeaks or rattles anywhere in the cabin. Although this was the stock stereo, there was no commotion from the interior as I chose a bass heavy hip-hop song, with volume up high, and bass on max. It was common for the panels to rattle against one another when the volume was set very high and a bass heavy song in the 6th gen Camry.
Old 09-22-11, 12:20 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

very nice! Thanks for the review! I'm looking forward to the new ES now...
Old 09-22-11, 03:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
Thanks guys, I wasn't anticipating on the new Camry being there. I was actually at the dealer to inquire about a 2012 Sienna, so I didn't bring my real camera with me.

I also wanted to add that during my test drive on the terribly rough Ann Arbor/Detroit roads, there were no squeaks or rattles anywhere in the cabin. Although this was the stock stereo, there was no commotion from the interior as I chose a bass heavy hip-hop song, with volume up high, and bass on max. It was common for the panels to rattle against one another when the volume was set very high and a bass heavy song in the 6th gen Camry.
good to hear... seems special attention was given to rattles... finally :-)
Old 09-23-11, 10:29 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the writeup!
I like the new Camry, can't wait for one to arrive at my local dealership so I can try it out.
Old 09-23-11, 03:09 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Looks like a giant Corolla, was really looking for a more aggressive style, I think Toyota/Lexus had better sheet metal in the 90's and early 2000's now it seems like they make the cars giant bubbles and then press some lines in for aerodynamics and call it a day, this seems like their current trend
Old 09-23-11, 05:13 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Thanks for such a detailed write-up and a first-hand comparison to the 6th-gen. Huge improvements everywhere except the exterior for sure. I particularly like that the center-console touch screen is now standard and that you can configure various vehicle settings there, although they could've hired a better UI designer to make the menus look more pleasing to the eyes.

Last edited by ydooby; 09-23-11 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-23-11, 09:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Looks like a giant Corolla, was really looking for a more aggressive style, I think Toyota/Lexus had better sheet metal in the 90's and early 2000's now it seems like they make the cars giant bubbles and then press some lines in for aerodynamics and call it a day, this seems like their current trend
So you went at Whoster for saying the M37etc and Maxima look the same to him and you retort with a LS/Corolla comparison and now come in here with a Camry looks like a Corolla? Maybe the Camry should have taken a page out of the Altima's book, look like a fake Lexus GS? We traded in an 07 Altima on a lease and it isn't missed one bit.

This is a base car and it looks well base, especially in fridge white. I think it looks Euro Accord/TSXish kind of if anything.

I see no bubbles in the Camry or most of Lexus vehicles today. The SE looks much better, like all cars with bigger wheels and a kit.

Old 09-23-11, 10:50 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

The car definitely looks a lot better in darker colors (and for some reason, they decided to can the two best, Blue Ribbon Metallic and Spruce Mica with no replacement) and with alloys in place of the steelies w/hubcaps, but I actually like the hubcap design they have now. The '10/11 style was good, too, but ever since, like 2000-2009, I've absolutely hated the hubcaps Toyota had on Camrys. They looked so flimsy and cheap. The new ones look a lot sturdier and look like they won't fall off.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
Old 09-24-11, 05:53 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So you went at Whoster for saying the M37etc and Maxima look the same to him and you retort with a LS/Corolla comparison and now come in here with a Camry looks like a Corolla? Maybe the Camry should have taken a page out of the Altima's book, look like a fake Lexus GS? We traded in an 07 Altima on a lease and it isn't missed one bit.

This is a base car and it looks well base, especially in fridge white. I think it looks Euro Accord/TSXish kind of if anything.

I see no bubbles in the Camry or most of Lexus vehicles today. The SE looks much better, like all cars with bigger wheels and a kit.

Never said anything about the Max vs M, they have similar lines, hex they are made by the same company, how someone else interprets something is not up for me to judge, but I get a kick out of how you get so upset over meaning less internet comment, if you read my last comment I used a 3 that looks like a 7, if you did not understand what I meant I meant people confuse what cars are because of distance.

Very witty remark about how the Camry should take a page out of the Altima book, I know you hate Nissan and need to take a jab at them every chance you get good one.

Base car or not the sheet metal does not change, of course you see no bubbles, they stamped aerodynamic lines in them to give it the blandest style.

Oh and I love how your bragging about giving back a leased car, I've leased cars, no real ownership ever really takes place
Old 09-24-11, 07:28 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big difference the GFX and wheels make to the look of the vehicle. to the interior improvements. I like how you actually have access to some of the options, like the lock/unlock when shifting from P, time your lights stay on after turning off the car etc. Some of those were options I had to get the dealer to do with the personalized settings when I bought my IS new back in 05.

It's cool that there's a MPG guage in there, but there isn't a engine temp guage?? Or did I just miss it in your pics?
Old 09-24-11, 07:58 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Never said anything about the Max vs M, they have similar lines, hex they are made by the same company, how someone else interprets something is not up for me to judge, but I get a kick out of how you get so upset over meaning less internet comment, if you read my last comment I used a 3 that looks like a 7, if you did not understand what I meant I meant people confuse what cars are because of distance.

Very witty remark about how the Camry should take a page out of the Altima book, I know you hate Nissan and need to take a jab at them every chance you get good one.

Base car or not the sheet metal does not change, of course you see no bubbles, they stamped aerodynamic lines in them to give it the blandest style.

Oh and I love how your bragging about giving back a leased car, I've leased cars, no real ownership ever really takes place
Sure you didn't. I don't hate Nissan but I am not a fan when Nissan people come here to jab Lexus/Toyota constantly.

No one is bragging about turning in a pedestrian Altima, I've posted the story about it and gave it much kudos. It was leased before it entered my life. Maybe you should search.

I tire of people saying "OMG it looks like a Corolla" when it doesn't. The Corolla is a "bubble" to use your terminology where the Camry is sharp with creases. Its an elementary school remark to try to crap on Toyota/Lexus in regards to styling whenever a new car debuts. Rarely have I seen here someone say "OMG that Infiniti/Nissan looks likes a Sentra" even if there are similarities and it wouldn't be a fair comment.

Quick Reply: Test drove the 2012 Camry.