Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Test drove the 2012 Camry.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-11, 08:05 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Test drove the 2012 Camry.

Michigan dealers are starting to get their very first 2012s. I stopped by the dealer in Ann Arbor and they got their first Camry LE in just yesterday! To their knowledge they got the first one in at least the Eastern part of Michigan. But anyway, they let me drive it with only 3 miles on the ODO.

EXTERIOR: The lines have been sharpened which adds a little bit of character over the outgoing model. I'm still not sold on the front end - the fascia cutouts on models without fog lights doesn't really flow and isn't very cohesive in design. I actually don't mind the rear end as much in person, but it's noticeably more upright (has a flat ***). I noticed that even on this 4cyl LE model, that the rocker panels had chrome trim in it. I'm not sure if this is standard across the range, but I didn't notice an option line on the window sticker, so I'm assuming it is. It definitely helps the LE especially in keeping it from looking too cheap or too obvious that it's a lower end model.

The panel gaps were very tight throughout and the plastics and metal panels fit well. Paint quality looked to be pretty good too. I didn't notice many, if any, flaws in the Super White coat that this one carried. My only complaint is that the hubcaps for the steel wheels were horrendous looking.

I was originally afraid, based on the pictures that the roofline/greenhouse and rear end shape were going to make the Camry look tall, short, and stubby looking (kind of like the Corolla). But in person I came away with no such impression. The more upright looking greenhouse works, and on the inside gives a much more open and airy feeling for the rear passengers.

Last edited by RX_330; 09-21-11 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-21-11, 08:06 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

INTERIOR: I don't know what to say. I was blown away coming from a 6th gen. The design worked out greatly on the interior. Some say the new interior still looks too bland, some say too busy, I disagree with both. It has a lot more character than the outgoing interior, and looks stylish for a family sedan.

Interior panel gaps were tight and everything was perfectly aligned. I didn't notice trim pieces or panels not matching with the one adjacent to it. I know on the 6th gen the waterfall trim on the sides of the cubby hole (not sure what it's really called) looked really bad as it never lined up right or sat flush with the rest of the console. With the trim edges, it was really clean cut. On the 6th gen, the edges of the panels would look like they were cut with a hack saw and slapped on. Not so on here.

Material quality is an improvement. The one I drove had the beige cloth interior. The color scheme throughout looks good and cohesive. The seats, center console, and lower dash panels were also tan. But the upper dash, doors, and carpet were black. I think the black carpet really sets it off and makes it look much better. I noticed Toyota did the same thing with the tan interior on the facelift Highlander. It should also help keep it looking cleaner. The new seat cloth is nice - the cloth itself is rigid but soft to the touch. And the seats have more side bolster support. I didn't sit in it long enough to see, but on my 6th gen, after a while I'll get some pressure on my tail bone and give me some lower back irritation, regardless of lumbar support settings. I'll be interested in how these new seats are.

There were still hard surfaces all over. Even the fake leather stitched dash was hard, but it didn't feel cheap. Very little give with the padding though. And the same is seen throughout the cabin. Although the plastics on the lower panels are on the harder side, when you press on them, there is very little flex and give, and as a result no squeaking or creaking. I know on my 6th gen if I pressed on an interior panel, it felt as if there was no support behind it. As if I could punch right through it!

I never really had an issue with how the door closed on the 6th gen. But when the windows were open, and you slammed it shut, the noise and feel was very cheap (anybody ever try slamming the door to a Sienna?!?). Coming from a history of Mercedes-Benzes with bank vault like clicks...this still didn't feel the same. BUT, it closed with a more solid thunk and little vibration from the door panels. I did the slam test with the windows open and it still closed with a nice thunk.

The rear seats of the 6th gen are already spacious as it is. My only complaint in the 6th gen is that it feels smaller than it really is because of the high beltline and slim windows. The taller greenhouse in the 7th gen alleviates that and now it feels more airy and open.

I know there was some reservation about the center stack and center console. I quite like this to be honest. It's clean, well laid out. The controls for the HVAC were easy and boy did the A/C blow cold on this. My Hybrid's A/C is weaaak! The base HVAC controls are well designed and look like they were an upgrade. Doesn't look cheap like the three-knobbed 6th gen did. I also remember complaints about the cupholders. While I do agree that I would have much preferred a folding cover, instead of the exposed cupholders, it didn't really bother me. I was more preoccupied with how well this area was put together. I also noticed the armrest slides forward even in this LE model. You could only get that with the leather or XLE in the 6th gen I believe. That's cool.

Last edited by RX_330; 09-21-11 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-21-11, 08:07 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

ELECTRONICS: I'll add the instrument cluster to this part. It's a step up from the LE cluster before. Easy to read, clean design. There's not much else to say. I'm surprised to hear that there is no Optitron option for any trim level anymore. I would miss that if I got a 7th gen. I did notice that they all come with an instant MPG meter like on the Hybrids now. Only difference is that it's necessarily instant like the 6th Hybrid meter was. It's doesn't fluctuate smoothly up and down like the old one. It jumps up and down sharply as the trip computer gets a reading every few seconds or so.

I was told that all trims get some sort of touch screen now, regardless of navigation option. And that there are varying levels of "ability" for the screen. I don't know which level this one came with, but it had the standard radio. I put in a CD of my favorite songs and sound quality was pretty good. For a stock base stereo it had decent bass, fairly clear mids and highs. Although at moderate to higher volumes the weaknesses were obvious. To be honest I haven't heard the standard audio in the 6th, and it wouldn't be fair to compare to my 6th's JBL. Sound stage was very central at the midpoint of the windshield.

There was quite a bit you could do with this base head unit. As far as audio, there were only the standard bass/treble/mid, fade/balance, and this one actually had DSP option too. Not sure if that's standard throughout. There were also some car customizing options too. You can now set the auto locks, lock beeps, auto off lights, etc. through this now. There was also the ability to get individual tire pressure readings. As well as a fuel economy graph like you'd see in the Hybrid models. I forgot to grab a pic of this, my bad.

I know there were some complaints about the steering wheel. I agree, it's ugly. But it works. The D-pad controls are redundant and control the head unit screen, so you can choose tracks, cycle through all menus, etc. through the steering wheel.

Last edited by RX_330; 09-21-11 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-21-11, 08:07 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

THE DRIVE: I'm not sure what the exact changes were mechanically. I know it was lightened, some changes to the suspension. All I know is that the small changes were noticeable.

I think the biggest thing I noticed was the weight loss. I think it was somewhere around 100lbs on the gas models, but it feels just slightly more nimble. I attribute the feeling to the revised steering as well. Turn-in is quicker and it doesn't feel like you're steering a boat anymore. As it is electric assist steering now, there is very little feedback. And steering is a little light. I would prefer the heavier weight I have in my Hybrid, but with the response of the new model.

Going back to how I described the exterior and interior as being tighter in various ways, the same goes with the suspension. It still retains the smoothness and compliance of the 6th gen. But it feels tighter, less floaty, and quicker to react and return to normal composure. The 6th gen would also get unsettled easily on very rough roads, especially in turns. The 7th gen. felt less likely to get unsettled on the same roads. It was less dramatic over the rough roads.

I'm also not sure what the changes are mechanically. The biggest thing I noticed is the throttle mapping. It's a lot less aggressive than the 6th gen. My biggest complaint with all Toyota 4cyl models is how aggressive the tip-in is. I figure they did it that way to compensate for the smaller engine/lower power by making it a little more aggressive to make it seem faster than it really is. But they did away with that, and now tip in is very smooth. No more scares in the parking lot because you think you nailed the gas pedal when you only brushed it. I think I can thank trying to achieve good fuel economy and the resulting eco-minded tuning for this.

Regardless of throttle setup, the engine pulled well at all speeds. NVH was also improved over the old model. Even at WOT the noise coming into the cabin was fairly muted. The thing that stood out the most to be in terms of noise, was less wind noise compared to the 6th gen. Road and tire noise are about the same, but definitely less wind noise. I like that.

Visibility throughout is pretty good. I felt like I sat higher in this, probably because of the bigger windows. I felt like I could see the curbs easier, and I also wasn't dealing with ridiculously thick A and B pillars like in the 6th gen.

Anyway that's all I can think of right now. Let me know if you had questions and I'll try to remember what I noticed.
Old 09-21-11, 08:59 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was a superb write up and I think bodes well for the Camry! Thank you!
Old 09-21-11, 09:24 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Great write up!

You're going to see a lot more "flat butt" cars in the future as that is the most aerodynamic shape. Smooth in the front to cut into the air, and then sharp corners on the back end to force the air to break away from the vehicle instead of curling around and "tugging" backwards on the car.
Old 09-21-11, 10:37 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well done!

Thank you for such a thorough and thoughtful review!!
Old 09-21-11, 10:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Nice first test! It's interesting seeing the base model, since that's likely going to be the main model we all get to stare at on the road for the next six years.
I agree, those wheel covers look terrible. The tire is too thick or tall, making the cover look smaller than it is. Toyota could have easily done better with a design similar to the 2010 or 2007 model.
Also disappointed they got rid of the Optitron meters. This was a very easy way to make the dash look more expensive than it was. I guess they are leaving it to Lexus now.
The front end looks good to me. Has a nice modern flow.
My biggest beef is still with the d-pillar. It's downright 90's retro, with it's too formal angle and lack of curvature. Smoothing out this one corner of the body would have transformed the entire look, without robbing much rear seat headroom. Rear headroom was never a complaint with the last model, so this move is strange. I'd peg the rest of the car boxier than the last, so I guess Toyota took it to the roofline too.
Overall, I see this car selling very well. It's still convservative and modern, with a good dose of features and tech to keep it interesting. Good job Toyota.
Old 09-22-11, 12:11 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I absolutely love the interior on the new camry. However', I'm still trying to get use to the exterior, especially the tail lights.
Old 09-22-11, 03:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

coolio... thanks for the info about settings change via Display Audio, this was unknown so far.
Old 09-22-11, 04:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Great review!
I find it to be ugly.Front design is bad and the back taillights are awful.The LE really has the look of it being the cheap model with the awful multicolored cloth seats and hubcap look...
The SE,Hybridand XLE do look a bit better.

The Camry will still sell well and probably be #1 in it's class.
Old 09-22-11, 04:50 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What a great writeup and review. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.
Old 09-22-11, 05:59 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

great and comprehensive writeup.

However
The car in the picture is yawn-inducing. The non-SE versions look booooooooring.
Old 09-22-11, 06:07 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

That interior looks so nice...can't believe that it's a base model!
Old 09-22-11, 06:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Great review!
I find it to be ugly.Front design is bad and the back taillights are awful.The LE really has the look of it being the cheap model with the awful multicolored cloth seats and hubcap look...
The SE,Hybridand XLE do look a bit better.

The Camry will still sell well and probably be #1 in it's class.
i was going to say that LE is first Toyota in reasonable price range where base model does not look... base. Usually base models are crap and have a lot of essential stuff missing.

with this LE, if you want, get some alloy wheels for summer and you have yourself perfectly fine car for 23k.

Quick Reply: Test drove the 2012 Camry.