Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Defects of AMG's V8 at the heart of class-action lawsuits against Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-11, 01:49 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Actually Mercedes took a long time with AMG. They bought AMG back in the early 1990s and they only had one official vehicle for a few years, the C32 (or was it 36) until the E55 came in 1999. They slowly expanded the line and they started aggressively expanding AMG only very recently.
I would say the modern mass-production era of MB-AMG began with the C36 in 1995 or so, which was then followed by the C43 in 1998 (one of which I owned) and the E55 around the same time... maybe a year later. So that was about 4 years that AMG, as a mass-produced multi-market vehicle, was just one model. (BTW, the C32 was the supercharged model succeeding the C43.)

Now, AMG did do lot of other products, but these were either super low-production or limited market vehicles like the E60 and S70. Historically of course they had the legendary 190E in the early 90s. But in terms of modern mass-production, I agree that they were very slow to expand their model lineup.

The thing that makes MB much worse than Lexus in this regard - and the only thing that I will correct 1SICKLEX on - is that in 1990 AMG and MB were still completely separate companies. MB just agreed to officially support AMG through its dealer network. MB didn't buy any portion of AMG until 1999, and didn't buy it completely until 2005. This means that AMG vehicles as a complete in-house project of MB only preceded the introduction of the F lineup by 2 years.

And that's only if you consider a purchased subsidiary "in-house". After all, if TMC bought Lotus and Lexus started selling Lexus-branded but Lotus-produced vehicles, I don't think even the biggest Lexus fanboys would consider that "in-house".
Old 09-24-11, 08:54 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gengar
I would say the modern mass-production era of MB-AMG began with the C36 in 1995 or so, which was then followed by the C43 in 1998 (one of which I owned) and the E55 around the same time... maybe a year later. So that was about 4 years that AMG, as a mass-produced multi-market vehicle, was just one model. (BTW, the C32 was the supercharged model succeeding the C43.)

Now, AMG did do lot of other products, but these were either super low-production or limited market vehicles like the E60 and S70. Historically of course they had the legendary 190E in the early 90s. But in terms of modern mass-production, I agree that they were very slow to expand their model lineup.

The thing that makes MB much worse than Lexus in this regard - and the only thing that I will correct 1SICKLEX on - is that in 1990 AMG and MB were still completely separate companies. MB just agreed to officially support AMG through its dealer network. MB didn't buy any portion of AMG until 1999, and didn't buy it completely until 2005. This means that AMG vehicles as a complete in-house project of MB only preceded the introduction of the F lineup by 2 years.

And that's only if you consider a purchased subsidiary "in-house". After all, if TMC bought Lotus and Lexus started selling Lexus-branded but Lotus-produced vehicles, I don't think even the biggest Lexus fanboys would consider that "in-house".
Thanks for straightening that part out dude. Thanks also for adding another great post. I remember when the C36 debuted on the cover of autoweek with the title "Badass" and it caused an uproar for "cursing".

Its great we can clear up misguided jabs at Lexus and inform the membership the truth of the matter. Thanks again gengar

Old 09-24-11, 09:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM
I would like to see how they discovered the premature wear, eventually timing will be off, and the car will not be firing properly
My guess is through a "Check-Engine" light, and an investigation. The engine's computer will change the timing to compensate for worn cam-lobes and imperfect valve-action, just as it does with crappy low-octane gas for ping-detection, but there's a limit to how much the computer can do that without the engine starting to run roughly. Eventually the engine will probably develop enough vibration (especially contrasted with the usual V8 smoothness) that the computer can't correct it any more, the Check Engine light will flash, and the owner will have it looked at. The oxygen-sensor in the exhaust manifold may also detect a too-rich or too-lean air/fuel mixture from the valves not working properly......that can also trigger a Check Engine light.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-24-11 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-25-11, 09:31 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on what I've read at mbworld, I have not seen anything regarding engine problems over there either. This is just 1 guy who modded his car, broke it and dealer denied warranty so now he is doing what Amercians do best when they want something for nothing... Frivolous lawsuits.
Old 09-26-11, 07:54 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My guess is through a "Check-Engine" light, and an investigation. The engine's computer will change the timing to compensate for worn cam-lobes and imperfect valve-action, just as it does with crappy low-octane gas for ping-detection, but there's a limit to how much the computer can do that without the engine starting to run roughly. Eventually the engine will probably develop enough vibration (especially contrasted with the usual V8 smoothness) that the computer can't correct it any more, the Check Engine light will flash, and the owner will have it looked at. The oxygen-sensor in the exhaust manifold may also detect a too-rich or too-lean air/fuel mixture from the valves not working properly......that can also trigger a Check Engine light.
Thanks for pointing out the obvious

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Based on what I've read at mbworld, I have not seen anything regarding engine problems over there either. This is just 1 guy who modded his car, broke it and dealer denied warranty so now he is doing what Amercians do best when they want something for nothing... Frivolous lawsuits.
Sounds like my buddy, always pushing the limit, then **** hits the fan and he is getting a lawyer to sue cause he was wrong but not entirely wrong, Im glad I left the auto tech field, just from dealing with German car owners, they are extremist and never wrong
Old 09-26-11, 05:09 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

HA! I'm so glad we lemoned our R171. I miss driving it, but definitely don't miss the frequent visits to the dealer to get something fixed. When an engine starts to leak oil along with abnormal valve ticking noise at 24k miles, there is definitely something wrong with their design.
Old 09-26-11, 09:57 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I too have not heard of any common problems with the AMG engines. You'll find one or two screw ups in any bunch, but that does not make for a valid case against the manufacturer. I am sure Mercedes has tested the heck out of their product and subjected it to large doses of abuse.
Old 09-26-11, 11:17 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am also under the impression that AMG engines (like M275) have better quality than the regular Merc engines.......because AMG engines are all hand-built (and signed by an AMG engineer).

Thus I expect that an S63 AMG or an S65 AMG will not fail as easily as say an S500 or S550.........at least from the perspective of the reliability of the engine.

The added cost premium between AMG and non-AMG models is not based solely on better performance figures but also since AMG engines are hand-built (and as most of you know hand-built is always more expensive than machine-built mass produced iterations)

Two cents