Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Defects of AMG's V8 at the heart of class-action lawsuits against Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-11, 09:34 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Defects of AMG's V8 at the heart of class-action lawsuits against Mercedes

Class action lawsuit to be filed against Mercedes alleges AMG V8 defects

Mercedes-Benz is reportedly facing a class-action lawsuit in the U.S. District Court of New Jersey for alleged defects in the company's M156 V8. According to the plaintiffs, premature internal wear occurs because the engine uses cast nodular iron camshafts and 9310-grade steel valves. Something about that combination causes early failure, either due to improper offset of the components or inadequate heat treating. The plaintiffs also allege that Mercedes-Benz and AMG have known about the issue since 2007, when Daimler released a service bulletin on the problem. At this point, it's unclear how many engines this alleged defect covers, or exactly when or if the lawsuit will go to trial.

The M156 V8 – one of the snarliest and best-sounding engines we've ever driven – has served as the powerhouse for a wide range of AMG vehicles. The 6.3-liter lump actually displaces 6.2 liters, but churns out 525 horsepower in its newest iteration. The engine has found its way into vehicles like the C63 AMG, E63 AMG, ML63 AMG and SL63 AMG, among others. Head over to BenzBoost for a look at the full lawsuit.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/22/c...lleges-amg-v8/
Old 09-22-11, 10:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

According to the plaintiffs, premature internal wear occurs because the engine uses cast nodular iron camshafts and 9310-grade steel valves. Something about that combination causes early failure, either due to improper offset of the components or inadequate heat treating.
What, in this case, would be considered "early failure"? The article doesn't say....nor does it mention the average mileage at which these failures are occuring. Each AMG powerplant, BTW, unlike most engines, is hand-built, signed off by an AMG Technician (you can see the plate on top of the motor with the signature), and, in the American market, is warranted, like other M-B engines, to 4 years/50,000 miles. That 4/50 powertrain coverage is in line with that of other upmarket German makes, but is rather skimpy in comparison to the 6/70 of Lexus/Acura/Infiniti...and, of course, to the 10/100 of the Korean makes.
Old 09-22-11, 10:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
Someone at youtube said BMW stands for:

Big Money Wasted

Well I say AMG stands for:

All Money Gone

..... due to repair costs.

That's why I don't even bother myself trying a German made vehicle.
hey you just busted your rides in signature?
Old 09-22-11, 11:01 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds fishy.

How do you objectively measure "early failure" on technology that demands to be pushed hard and aggressively?

Can we sue certain car companies for being less reliable than others? (Answer: It's America. Of course, we can! )

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 09-22-11 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Grammar police
Old 09-22-11, 11:04 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
Busted is as busted does...
Old 09-22-11, 11:16 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
I dont know if he really owns those cars??? seems a bit fishy. He is listing about 2-2.5 million in cars. Even the guys at luxury4play would be surprised.lol
Old 09-22-11, 12:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I dont know if he really owns those cars??? seems a bit fishy. He is listing about 2-2.5 million in cars. Even the guys at luxury4play would be surprised.lol
lmao i think we all know it's meant to be funny
Old 09-22-11, 02:10 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lawsuit alleges premature failure within the warranty period. But even still, failure after warranty period can still be premature failure if the defect existed and was known but did not yet manifest.

Anyways, apparently the engines are experiencing wear on the camshaft lobes. This, of course, can lead to repairs costing thousands of dollars as the camshaft lobes, valve lifters, and related parts must be replaced, and eventually catastrophic engine failure. [paraphrasing lawsuit here]
Old 09-22-11, 03:01 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow, that's a real shame. It's too bad, I really like the M156.
Old 09-23-11, 08:59 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Of course they have a case, these lawyer can get millions just like other class action suit. I never heard of any Engine defect on a SC430........except few from lack of maintenance
Old 09-23-11, 09:02 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I joined that forum recently.....very cool people

http://www.benzboost.com/
Old 09-23-11, 03:04 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by meowCat
Mercedes company really needs to either learn from the Lexus engineers or hire some dudes from Lexus to help improve on building quality durable cars! I can't believe both BMW and Mercedes hasn't changed yet.
If Mercedes did it the Lexus way AMG would not exist, 10 years to make an LFA it better be perfect

But worn down camshaft lobes seems pretty weak especially on such powerful engines, Im still trying to find out the main cause, seems like the cars needing engine work all have 15k interval oil changes, give or take, it seems like the worn down cams/engine have been subjected to higher temps then those who change the oil every 3k
Old 09-23-11, 07:27 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the lawsuit claims that all previous AMG models featured engines designed by MB and tuned by AMG

says this is the first engine designed entirely by AMG. sounds like someone is going to get fired
Old 09-24-11, 05:36 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BoDarville
the lawsuit claims that all previous AMG models featured engines designed by MB and tuned by AMG

says this is the first engine designed entirely by AMG. sounds like someone is going to get fired
designing an engine is one thing, picking parts for mass production is another thing, but whoever decided to go with a camshaft that cannot stand up to the tolerances is an idiot.

I would like to see how they discovered the premature wear, eventually timing will be off, and the car will not be firing properly
Old 09-24-11, 08:06 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
If Mercedes did it the Lexus way AMG would not exist, 10 years to make an LFA it better be perfect

But worn down camshaft lobes seems pretty weak especially on such powerful engines, Im still trying to find out the main cause, seems like the cars needing engine work all have 15k interval oil changes, give or take, it seems like the worn down cams/engine have been subjected to higher temps then those who change the oil every 3k
Actually Mercedes took a long time with AMG. They bought AMG back in the early 1990s and they only had one official vehicle for a few years, the C32 (or was it 36) until the E55 came in 1999. They slowly expanded the line and they started aggressively expanding AMG only very recently.

If Mercedes did it the Saab, Lincoln, Acura or Infiniti way, AMG would NOT exist since none of those brands have anything remotely to compete with a AMG or F car.

What we are seeing with "F" is simply what we have seen with AMG/M/RS when they began decades ago.

Quick Reply: Defects of AMG's V8 at the heart of class-action lawsuits against Mercedes