Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need some feedback

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-11, 08:20 PM
jakehz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some feedback

So I wish I could afford a is350 but right now I dont think it will happen. so ive been looking at the c230 merc, i really like the interior and design of the car. I am 16 about to turn 17, i will be making payments on the car myself. Would this car be reliable? and it will be either 2005 or 6. I baby my car and take good care of them. If you have any other suggestions please feel free.. im open to anything as long as it has nice interior.
Old 09-27-11, 08:31 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about an 07 IS250, it'll probably be around $23K to $25K. I would not trust a 5-6 year old Mercedes, especially a 4 cylinder lowest end MB. You'll pay about the same amount to maintain and fix the C230 as someone who owns an S class.

Why not spend a little more for an IS250 or get a Toyota or Honda.
Old 09-27-11, 08:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Iirc the 06/07 C230s had a recommended rating on CR. Of course this was before the 08 redesign so long term reliability remained to be seen. MBZworld.com might be able to give you more info on price points and their experience with reliability. I do like that car though
Old 09-27-11, 09:03 PM
jakehz
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys. ill check out the site
Old 09-27-11, 10:26 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

if your worried about repairs get a corolla.
Old 09-27-11, 10:32 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I would get a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic honestly , had a Chevrolet Nova the equivalent of the Toyota Corolla, most trouble free car I had those younger days in my life till I switched to a Nissan Pathfinder, especially if reliability is a concern, because maintenance doesn't come cheap for a Mercedes-Benz, especially if your only 17 and still going to make payments.
Old 09-28-11, 09:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

M-B products are worth looking into if accident-safety is a major concern (M-B and Volvo generally lead the industry in that area), but they are notorious for both expensive parts/service and for electrical gremlins. If you chose a C230 (or any other German-make car in its class), my strong recommendation is to get one still under warranty or a CPO.
Old 09-28-11, 01:36 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious - are you paying the insurance on the car? If so, you should consider that as part of the total cost of ownership. Cars like a MB or IS I'm guessing would be pricey. It's not so much how much the car is worth (or what you paid), it has to do with how much it would cost to repair if it gets in an accident. If you're 16/17 - you're in that high risk bracket, thus the insurance companies will stick it to you HARD.

If/when the car (MB) has problems, it's gonna cost you significantly regardless of how little you paid for the car.

If you're really set on getting a somewhat higher end car for a first (?) car - at least do yourself a favor and avoid the German makes - their reliability is questionable. With those makes (MB, BMW, Audi) it seems either they are great all the time, or just cursed causing your wallet to empty quickly. I know too many people that have been burned on Audis and BMWs.

Personally, I wouldn't want to have payments and no warranty because you'll be paying for repairs on top of the monthly... ouch... especially for someone your age.

If mommy and daddy are paying for it... well, all I can say is enjoy the free ride while you can.
Old 09-28-11, 02:02 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would avoid a C230. If you ever need repairs, they will not be cheap on a Benz. And most of the 05/06's will have a good amount of mileage on them now. The last thing you need is to buy a German car that you drive into the higher mileage range. $_$

Honestly at your age, the best advice i can give you is to buy a cheap car and drive it to the ground - especially if your paying for the car yourself. If you really insist on buying a higher end car, maybe look at the G35's. They are pretty reliable, my aunt has one with nearly 100k miles on it now, pretty reliable motorwise, her navigation did die though.
Old 09-28-11, 02:38 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jakehz
So I wish I could afford a is350 but right now I dont think it will happen. so ive been looking at the c230 merc, i really like the interior and design of the car. I am 16 about to turn 17, i will be making payments on the car myself. Would this car be reliable? and it will be either 2005 or 6. I baby my car and take good care of them. If you have any other suggestions please feel free.. im open to anything as long as it has nice interior.
If you tell us what your budget is, I am sure a lot of guys on this site can give you better suggestions. Why would you want to buy a 7-year-old C230? The performance is lame, and the reliability is very questionable. The only people I know who drive cars like that are badge wh*r*s. They think they are impressing people, but in reality they come across as being posers.
Old 09-28-11, 02:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the C230 is a turbo charged engine? If so, stay away from it, the turbo makes maintenance and repair work a lot more time consuming and therefore much more expensive.
Old 09-28-11, 02:54 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

At your age, I recommend a cheaper car. You might be able to handle the payments for another year or two, but when you go off to college, that can change VERY easily.

Like mentioned above, on top of your payment, insurance is going to be very, very expensive. If you get a speeding ticket in that car or cause an accident, it's going to get much worse. When something breaks, it's going to nickle and dime you to death.

My advice to you is this. By a modest car. My recommendations are in line with the others, Corolla or Civic for affordability and reliability. There are also some decent GM or Ford products that will serve your needs as a young person.

I understand the desire to have a really cool car at your age. It was hitting me pretty hard too, but I just learned to stop giving a f%## about what everybody else thought about my car. I commend you for working and being able to afford such a car payment. My advice to you is to buy a cheaper car, and take that extra money and start saving it. You will thank yourself down the road. It's saving my *** right now. I almost bought a Trans Am and decked it out a few years ago. Was going to drain my bank account to do so. Instead, i just started packing my money away into savings. I am currently unemployed and attending school, and my savings is keeping food in my fridge.

Just food for thought. Also, here's a thought. It'll be a rewarding incentive for saving. Calculate what your payment would be for the car you want(in this case, IS350). Now, every month, put that amount into a special savings account opened for the purpose. At the end of the 5 year period(or however long you had planned to save up for that car), go buy one with cash. You'll save a ton of $$$ on interest, leaving you with more money to spend on repairs and/or mods.
Old 09-28-11, 05:44 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

at 16-17 there is nothing wrong with a corolla or civic, to OWN and make payments on a car at your age is cooler than what your actually driving
Old 09-28-11, 07:34 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

A Merc of the age will kill you with all the nagging repairs that keep popping up. Maybe something a little bit more reliable till you can afford that IS350?
Old 09-28-11, 08:08 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Also, not judging or anything, but the car makes a statement about its owner. Sometimes that statement varies depending on the owner. An old man or executive driving a Benz is going to send a way different signal than a 16 year old driving a Benz.

When people see the old man, they just shrug and think that he's probably had a cushy job(or is in debt).
When people see a 16 year old kid driving a Benz, they're going to think he's spoiled and cocky. They don't know that you bought the car yourself, and they don't care. They're going to label you right off as a kid who gets what he what he wants. Police officers included.......

Quick Reply: Need some feedback