Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen CEO Winterkorn checks out Hyundai at Frankfurt Motor Show [video]

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-11, 10:30 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Volkswagen CEO Winterkorn checks out Hyundai at Frankfurt Motor Show [video]

Hehe it's important for any leader of an automobile company to check up on the competition. For today, it's Volkswagen Auto Group CEO Martin Winterkorn visiting the Hyundai booth to look at the Hyundai i30.

VW CEO Martin Winterkorn strolled over to the Hyundai stand to check out the i30

Read more: http://www.worldcarfans.com/11109263...#ixzz1ZGjNaVpu

In the midst of the world's press corp at the recent Frankfurt Motor Show, VW CEO Martin Winterkorn strolled over to the Hyundai stand to check out the i30, a competitor for the top selling Volkswagen Golf.

Almost as a sign of validation that Hyundai has come of age, or even better yet, is a worthy competitor of VW, Winterkorn along with his entourage look over the i30 with a fair amount of scrutiny.

In the beginning of the video Winterkorn whips out a magnetic tool used in measuring the thickness of paint used on the liftgate. He then proceeds to walk around the i30 grazing his knuckles across the hood-to-bumper shut lines to check for evenness. Once seated in the driver's seat, the mood gets serious as Winterkorn investigates further. He calls out for VW design boss Klaus Bischoff.

"The lever for the steering wheel release makes no sound while moving. BMW can't do it, we can't do it, why can they?!" Bischoff replies, "We had a solution for that but it was too expensive to produce."

Winterkorn continues, "You can't see the wipers."

"Full equipment but there is no auto dimming rear view mirror."

Then a tape measure is brought out, as Winterkorn is apparently measuring A-Pillar blind spot from the drivers view.

Read more: http://www.worldcarfans.com/11109263...#ixzz1ZGjQdspn
Sources:
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/winte...0-1932655.html
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11109263...i-at-frankfurt

Here's a short video that provides a brief idea of what's going on:
[youtube]YpPNVSQmR5c[/youtube]
Old 09-28-11, 11:09 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
"The lever for the steering wheel release makes no sound while moving. BMW can't do it, we can't do it, why can they?!" Bischoff replies, "We had a solution for that but it was too expensive to produce."
B/c unlike Hyundai, VW and BMW are not paying slave wages to their workers.

Oh wait...
Old 10-01-11, 07:53 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL it's like the Mafia boss
Old 10-02-11, 08:30 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha man that vid only had 500,000 views a few days ago......but now, over 1.3 million views. Damn

Old 10-02-11, 10:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

pretty funny and great commercial for Hyundai. New i30 looks really good, main problem is that now the price will go up, a lot.