Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D: SUBCOMPACT comapro, new Yaris, Sonic, Fit, Accent, Rio, Versa (Spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 08:13 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were in the market for a subcompact, I actually think I would lean towards the Chevy. The sonic ic pretty sweet and actually it looks like a good deal! The Cruze looks damn nice too. Props to Chevy and GM as they seem to have gotten it right with these cars.
Old 10-05-11, 11:45 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done by the Yaris. Only drives home my original opinion though. Needs a 6th gear and a newer engine. Put the valvematics in enough cars and the price will come down for pete's sake. It's been around since 2007.
Old 10-05-11, 01:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Well done by the Yaris. Only drives home my original opinion though. Needs a 6th gear and a newer engine. Put the valvematics in enough cars and the price will come down for pete's sake. It's been around since 2007.
it will still be more expensive than this :-).
Problem in US is Yen, nothing else.

But even in Europe, it is expensive car... just more equipment and engines for the same price.
Old 10-05-11, 06:27 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I saw two Yaris on a flat bed on Sunday night. Weird thing is, the license plates were painted red, same as the car :/
Old 10-05-11, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I like the new Yaris design, less feminine so hopefully more male buyers.
I fail to see what was so "feminine" about the last one. I mean, we're not talking VW Beetle here, with a flower-stalk on the dash. The Yaris, for years, has been an inexpensive, well-built, reliable subcompact that appeals to a lot of people with out a lot to spend on a new car, whether male or female. My only real complaint with it, for the price, was the silly center-mounted gauge-cluster (like on some of the Scions). I know why it is done (to make both left/right-hand-drive versions easier to assemble), but a lot of good subcompacts (including the Yaris's arch-rival Fit) manage to put the gauges where they belong......in front of the driver.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-05-11 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-05-11, 07:49 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I fail to see what was so "feminine" about the last one. I mean, we're not talking VW Beetle here, with a flower-stalk on the dash. The Yaris, for years, has been an inexpensive, well-built, reliable subcompact that appeals to a lot of people with out a lot to spend on a new car, whether male or female. My only real complaint with it, for the price, was the silly center-mounted gauge-cluster (like on some of the Scions). I know why it is done (to make both left/right-hand-drive versions easier to assemble), but a lot of good subcompacts (including the Yaris's arch-rival Fit) manage to put the gauges where they belong......in front of the driver.

I am an insurance agent, believe or not, all my clients who owns Yaris, are females.

Agree on the center stack gauges, I had a xB for a while, love the car but the center gauge drove me crazy everytime I drive it.

Last edited by blacksc400; 10-05-11 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-05-11, 08:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I am an insurance agent, believe or not, all my clients who owns Yaris, are females.
They must have got tired of driving Beetles .......(just kidding).

Agree on the center stack gauges, I had a xB for a while, love the car but the center gauge drove me crazy everytime I drive it.
What's interesting is that center-stack gauges were not just limited to cheap vehicles like the Yaris, Scions, and the Saturn Ion. The 2Gen (or was it 3rd?) Nissan Quest minivan used them, and so did the Panoz Esperante....a high-performance 100K+ roadster.

Old 10-05-11, 08:29 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

^^ Good find. Never seen this car before. Good example of center gauges being implemented for reasons other than economic.

Like I've said before, go check out some Yaris boards, and you'll discover that most Yaris owners are disappointed that the new car
has put them behind the wheel. They much prefer the center gauges as they are easier to view and see the road at the same time.