Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2012 Toyota Camry XLE V6

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-11, 09:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
if the new camry is slated to get 5 star crash test ratings from the gov, then I dont see the problem with it shedding some extra weight with thinner panels.
I agree it may not be a safety-related issue in crash-tests,where most of the side-impact energy is absorbed by the inner-door cross-beams, not the sheet-metal itself. But, IMO, thinner/tinnier doors often have an unpleasant feel to them. In some cases, they can also let in more wind and road-noise.

GM found this out back in the 60's (and was one reason why they owned so much of the market back then). Studies showed that many potential car-buyers preferred vehicles with solid-feeling, solid-sounding, rattle-free doors that went "thunk" when closed. They engineered their vehicle bodies (which were done by the Fisher Division) accordingly. You could tell the difference, even blind-folded, between a GM door and one from Ford/Chrysler/AMC, just from its sound and feel. (I know....I grew up with the cars of that vintage).

However, we all know that the quality of GM vehicles deteriorated significantly after that period....they didn't keep it up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-08-11 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-08-11, 10:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 159 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Another thing I would like to add is that I feel car makers are making it seem like it is hard to meet cafe standards but it is entirely possible when you are willing to dump r&d and money to solve the problem.

from 1 model year, with the same engines, toyota is able to increase the 3.5 v6 1mpg in each category to hit the 21/30. The 2.5 4cyl. is an even bigger improvement at at 25/35 an increase in 2/3 mpg respectably and a combined improvement of 2mpg. I dont know what they did but it is essentially the same engine, all without the newest latest and greatest engine tech such as DI and turbos.

the camry hybrid? a phenomenal 8 mpg improvement with an increase in horsepower at the same time. Automakers are just not willing to do it but I am sure that the strict cafe standards are achievable
well Camry Hybrid is where it is at when it comes to efficiency.
Problem is getting SUVs and cheaper cars to get same 40 MPG combined needed.

Corolla is not going to be 15k if it is 40 MPG combined. Thats 20% better than most efficient cars today in the class, and for that 20% extra, you need to spend $3k to get hybrid system in. Same goes for Yaris.

They all have a problem if small car like Nissan Versa is going to drag their results down.

Not to mention pickups and SUVs.

They will have to have Prius getting 60 MPG, Camry getting 50 mpg in order to offset pickups and SUVs that wont get more than 30.
Old 10-08-11, 08:42 PM
LexFather

Saw a black SE being test-driving today....can't believe how sharp it looked...much more athletic, taunt and tight.....this is going to look GREAT modified.

Great job Toyota! Will check one out soon!

Old 10-09-11, 06:46 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice review, Mike. Very honest and, as usual, unbiased.

Dare I say, I like the new Camry - especially in the higher trim levels, with the more aggressive wheels, bumpers, etc. I'm disappointed with Toyota's ever-shrinking color palette. I guess this isn't the segment for interesting colors - for that matter, Toyota hasn't really had any interesting cars for over a decade.... (discounting the IS-F and LFA, of course)
Old 10-09-11, 09:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Nice review, Mike. Very honest and, as usual, unbiased.

Thanks. There's a couple of things, though, that I don't think I will ever be totally unbiased on.....manual hood prop-rods, doors without protective body-mouldings, temporary/donut spare tires/inflator-kits, cheap interior plastic, funeral-home paint colors, and overstyled rooflines that rob needed headroom.

I don't like stiff rides and overly-stiff seat-cushions either....but I realize that that is the trend of more and more of today's vehicles, as handling and steering-response takes priority over ride-comfort. The days of the classic Cush-Tush vehicles seem to be almost over). But, if a vehicle's ride and chassis, though, despite being sport-oriented, can still remain what is (in my standards) reasonably-comfortable, I'll give it credit....and good marks. BMW, perhaps more than any other manufacturer, excels in a superb ride/handling/steering compromise, though some other manufacturers are now close.

Dare I say, I like the new Camry - especially in the higher trim levels, with the more aggressive wheels, bumpers, etc. I'm disappointed with Toyota's ever-shrinking color palette. I guess this isn't the segment for interesting colors - for that matter,
Not all of the new Camry's paint-colors belong at the mortuary...there is a nice light-blue, light-to-medium green, and a fairly-pronounced red.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-09-11 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-10-11, 06:54 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks. There's a couple of things, though, that I don't think I will ever be totally unbiased on.....manual hood prop-rods, doors without protective body-mouldings, temporary/donut spare tires/inflator-kits, cheap interior plastic, funeral-home paint colors, and overstyled rooflines that rob needed headroom.

I don't like stiff rides and overly-stiff seat-cushions either....but I realize that that is the trend of more and more of today's vehicles, as handling and steering-response takes priority over ride-comfort. The days of the classic Cush-Tush vehicles seem to be almost over). But, if a vehicle's ride and chassis, though, despite being sport-oriented, can still remain what is (in my standards) reasonably-comfortable, I'll give it credit....and good marks. BMW, perhaps more than any other manufacturer, excels in a superb ride/handling/steering compromise, though some other manufacturers are now close.

The

Not all of the new Camry's paint-colors belong at the mortuary...there is a nice light-blue, light-to-medium green, and a fairly-pronounced red.
Those colors would be Clearwater Blue Metallic, Cypress Pearl, and Barcelona Red Metallic. While I don't have a problem with Clearwater, I do take issue with the fact that Blue Ribbon Metallic, a darker blue and a VERY popular color, was dumped with no other darker blue taking over.

Cypress Pearl is OK, but in person it looks like another, darker shade of beige, and Spruce Mica, which was a forest green and had lots of metallic in it, was a far better color, yet was dumped after only being on the Camry for 2 years. Clearwater and Cypress are also not available on the SE, so if you want a blue SE, you're out of luck for now.

The Camry color pallete was never bad and was actually pretty diverse. The exceptions being in 2000-2001 and now. They really need to get a dark blue back and a better green.
Old 10-11-11, 08:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Those colors would be Clearwater Blue Metallic, Cypress Pearl, and Barcelona Red Metallic. While I don't have a problem with Clearwater, I do take issue with the fact that Blue Ribbon Metallic, a darker blue and a VERY popular color, was dumped with no other darker blue taking over.

Cypress Pearl is OK, but in person it looks like another, darker shade of beige, and Spruce Mica, which was a forest green and had lots of metallic in it, was a far better color, yet was dumped after only being on the Camry for 2 years. Clearwater and Cypress are also not available on the SE, so if you want a blue SE, you're out of luck for now.

The Camry color pallete was never bad and was actually pretty diverse. The exceptions being in 2000-2001 and now. They really need to get a dark blue back and a better green.
The previous Camry Hybrid had a nice grass/lime green color (green, of course, being popular on many hybrids), but I don't see it on the new Camry's palate. Of course, the new Hybrid Camry has not been unveiled yet......perhaps it will (yet) be carried-over. We'll see.

Old 10-11-11, 09:39 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^

I prefer the darker green color, Spruce Mica...

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 10-11-11 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-11-11, 10:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
^^^

I prefer the darker green color, Spruce Mica...

That dark forest-green used to be popular in Europe...not as much today. The British-Racing-Green, though, has, of course, always been popular with classic cars from that country.
Old 10-11-11, 10:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,416 Likes on 1,584 Posts

i think the prior gen's exterior design is nicer, but the interior on this new one is leaps above the prior gen.
disappointing if it's not as quiet as the last one, but seems like an overall better vehicle, designed to compete in an era of high gas prices and oppressive government regulation.

i personally have no interest in owning one, because i like the easy 'throw it in' storage space and high seating of cuv/suvs over sedans.
Old 10-11-11, 12:44 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The previous Camry Hybrid had a nice grass/lime green color (green, of course, being popular on many hybrids), but I don't see it on the new Camry's palate. Of course, the new Hybrid Camry has not been unveiled yet......perhaps it will (yet) be carried-over. We'll see.

That's Jasper Pearl, which was only on the 2007-'09. I hated that color, and so did my dad when he saw one in person. It wasn't a very popular color. Blue Whisper Mica replaced it as the Hybrid only color for the Gen 6.5.

The color chart for the Camry Hybrid is the same as the regular car. I have a '12 brochure, and ToyotaReference has all of the charts up.
Old 10-11-11, 01:00 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I am the odd one, as much as this gen is a vast improvement from the last, I just can't get to like the styling. I didn't like the pictures, so I thought I might change my mind when I see the real car. However, after seeing couple driving on the road, still look so weired.
Old 10-11-11, 04:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 159 Likes on 118 Posts

greens are really not popular... heck, anything not silver, white, black or gray is really not popular these days.
Old 10-11-11, 04:09 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Maybe I am the odd one, as much as this gen is a vast improvement from the last, I just can't get to like the styling. I didn't like the pictures, so I thought I might change my mind when I see the real car. However, after seeing couple driving on the road, still look so weired.
When I first saw the pictures, I didn't really like the design but I could live with it. After seeing one up close, it's starting to grow on me. It actually looks pretty good. It's definitely something different from what Toyota usually makes, in a good way though.

After sitting in the new 2012 Camry, I can tell that quality control is going back up after all Toyota has been through recently. I have a feeling Toyota/Lexus will be getting onto track again, and live up to their reputation.

Either way, I'm a Toyota fan for life! LOL
Old 10-11-11, 06:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
That's Jasper Pearl, which was only on the 2007-'09. I hated that color, and so did my dad when he saw one in person. It wasn't a very popular color. Blue Whisper Mica replaced it as the Hybrid only color for the Gen 6.5.

The color chart for the Camry Hybrid is the same as the regular car. I have a '12 brochure, and ToyotaReference has all of the charts up.
Thanks for the update.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2012 Toyota Camry XLE V6